Carrying while "wrestling" with the kids - Page 2

Carrying while "wrestling" with the kids

This is a discussion on Carrying while "wrestling" with the kids within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My boy is 10 and girl 13. Don't generally plan wrasslin', so I don't disarm. Although I'm cautious that it stays in place, I don't ...

View Poll Results: When I wrestle with my kids,

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't disarm

21 21.43%
  • I disarm for the comfort

3 3.06%
  • I disarm to keep my kid from finding out

0 0%
  • I disarm because I don't think it's safe to wrestle while armed

49 50.00%
  • Some combination of 2, 3, and 4

25 25.51%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    My boy is 10 and girl 13. Don't generally plan wrasslin', so I don't disarm. Although I'm cautious that it stays in place, I don't think there's any risk of the gun going off while holstered properly. I wouldn't carry it if there was.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Why in the world would you want to put your child at risk by wrestling with them with a weapon on?
    Especially if you have one in the chamber.

Ever since I taught them a bit about infighting I find it painful to wrestle with them.

But when we are at play where a lot of exertion is required I will disarm just so there is no chance of bumping them with my gun. A few years ago my eldest was quickly getting out of a chair as I passed by and somehow managed to ram her face into my side. It would not have hurt her so much except for the 2 pounds of leather wrapped metal that was between her face and my hip.

So I keep that in mind. Also when playing if I want any chance at all of not being out manuvered I need to shed as much weight as possible.
    Last edited by Warren; December 4th, 2007 at 10:42 PM.

Just disarmed tonight for that reason. 50% comfort, 50% safety.

My son is now 39 and my daughter is 36, I never disarmed their whole life while playing with them. No harm was ever done. If you have a good holster that secures the gun properly, whats the problem.

No longer little kids, but have a yellow Lab who likes to play and not long ago grabbed and yanked the butt of my revolver while we were wresting on the floor. Glad to have a thumb break strap across the hammer, and that dogs don't have thumbs.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I don't disarm,

My son is 4, he has seen me put on and take off my gun a bunch of times, He knows there is a hard lump under daddy's shirt too, He found it one time while playing, doing something he shouldn't have been doing, He doesn't do that anymore. We do wrestle sometimes, we have an inflatable mattress that we use for a wrestling mat, he loves it, If I have already disarmed for the evening, or not, we go at it. I am aware of what I have on my person, and where it is pointing, it's secured in a quality custom IWB holster. I didn't just decide to wrestle with it on, it was a progression. After climbing on my hands and knees through the kids play area with him for several years, and some wrestling out in the yard, I have become comfortable (but not complacent) with it being on during any activity. I am always aware of it, and keep him on my week hand side. I don't anticipate a gang of Ninjas to burst in at anytime, but I also don't want to get into the habit of disarming earlier in the evening that I normally do. We live out in the country, in the middle of the woods, anything can happen at anytime.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Think of it this way. Cops wrestle with scumbags all the time, and I've never heard of any holstered gun going off.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Ever land on a gun? Hurts. I play pretty rough with my kids (5 and 8), lots of tumbling oriented stuff, and a gun is liable to pop out of a holster (I don't use retention holsters the way police do), or otherwise get in the way. The chances of a ND are remote, in my mind, but not so remote as I'd be comfortable doing it, so away it all goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Think of it this way. Cops wrestle with scumbags all the time, and I've never heard of any holstered gun going off.
    The difference here for me is this. If a gun goes off while wrestling with a bg I for one dont care if the bg is hurt.
    Now if i'm wrestling with kids I do care. I wont take that chance.

Michael

My boy normallly asks me to take it off before we wrestle (5 yr old) "and your bullets too daddy" he doesn't like to mag pouch any more than he likes the 1911 on my hip. I used to not, but since he asks me to..i do.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

I'm 51 with a bad back and a 6 year old son. I don't take my gun off when we mess around but I don't rough house like I use to either. My son knows I've always got a gun on me usually in a Crossbreed holster under my bib overalls. It's covered and safe but he knows where the hard spot is on my hip and avoids hitting his head on it.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links