Carrying while "wrestling" with the kids

This is a discussion on Carrying while "wrestling" with the kids within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This poll is for people who carry most of the time, including at home, and have little kids....

View Poll Results: When I wrestle with my kids,

Voters
98. You may not vote on this poll
  • I don't disarm

21 21.43%
  • I disarm for the comfort

3 3.06%
  • I disarm to keep my kid from finding out

0 0%
  • I disarm because I don't think it's safe to wrestle while armed

49 50.00%
  • Some combination of 2, 3, and 4

25 25.51%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying while "wrestling" with the kids

This poll is for people who carry most of the time, including at home, and have little kids.

Quote Originally Posted by ree View Post
    This poll is for people who carry most of the time, including at home, and have little kids.
    I have a 5 and 9 year old. I usually disarm in the house. When I do leave it on, it's business as usual with the kids. They've seen me wear it countless times and think nothing of it, but I still generally keep it covered at home in case I have to go to the door. Just be careful to turn when they run to you for a hug so they don't bonk their heads on it.

If I were to have a major wrestling session, I'd lock it up. It doesn't make sense to protect your kids from the unlikely event of a home invasion by exposing them to the less unlikely event of a negligent discharge.

Ditto. ^^

My girl is 5 (on Thursday) and my boy is 14 months old.
    Carrying at home in the home with kids that'll jump you at any time just is not practical nor even at most times safe.
    I normally carry a pocket knife of some sort to which they both are used to seeing me have in possession and use.

My guns stay doubly locked and locked away in a kid resistant hidden container.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Ditto. ^^

My girl is 5 (on Thursday)...

- Janq
    Happy birthday to your daughter!

"It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Most of the time I carry IWB, and when we do wrestle during the day (he is 4) I leave it on. Most of the good wrestling sessions usually take place on Saturday or Sunday morning, when we kick mom out of the big bed and we can wrestle there, along with pillow fights and wrestling moves that allow him to be tossed onto a soft bed and pillows. Those morning sessions are before the guns come out of the quick access safe, so not an issue.

He knows that I wear a pistol every day, and sees me put in on, or take it off on occasion. It is such a ritual that he pays no attention to it any more than me putting on my boots every day. When I do carry OWB, I don't tend to take it off when I am at home, and he still pays no attention to it. He has been with us when shooting since before he could walk. Rarely does he express interest in shooting himself, and I don't intend on pushing it on him. When he wants to he will ask.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Lead Moderator
    I would remove it if we were to wrestle. More likely they could get a nasty bump on the grip , rather than a ND. But either way, the gun comes off for safety.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Why in the world would you want to put your child at risk by wrestling with them with a weapon on?

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    Why in the world would you want to put your child at risk by wrestling with them with a weapon on?
    Risk of what?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I don't disarm, unless I'm going somewhere that prohibits me from legally carrying (or the shower).

I don't really get down and roll around on the floor with my kids, either. I have 4 girls, ages 12-20, all of whom I outweigh by at least 2x. Anything spirited enough to endanger the security of my holstered firearm would likely end in injury, even were I unarmed.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

My whole family knows I carry, and in the open at home, and I have for years. But when rough playing with the kids it hurts if you land on the HK so I place it someplace close by but out of harms way.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

One of my boys turned 1 last week, the other one turned 6, 2 weeks ago. older son knows I carry and ignores it, my 1yr old is too young to know what it is. Unfortunately, being a toddler, my youngest likes to grab things, he goes after the wifes purse, my belt, and when I have it on, my gun, and for anyone who has kids, you know that simply hiding under my shirt in a good holster doesn't work. Toddlers have an incredible skill of finding things they are not supposed to. For that reason I mostly take it off in the house. It stays handy, but locked up. I actually have one gun safe by the front door in an armoire, and one in the bedroom, both with my non-carry guns loaded and ready to go.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    ONly 4 things can result from horseplay. 3 out of the 4 are bad.

(1) Someone gets mad.
    (2) Someone gets hurt.
    (3) Something gets broken.
    (4) Fun.

Take the chance if you must, but be careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J View Post
    My whole family knows I carry, and in the open at home, and I have for years. But when rough playing with the kids it hurts if you land on the HK so I place it someplace close by but out of harms way.
    Same here. 2 are grown and gone now. The other is too old to play with dad. Never ever locked my guns up, never had too.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

My kids are 3 and 6. I very rarely disarm.
    I carry under my jeans in a SmartCarry.
    No part of the gun is visible or touchable at any time, it doesn't move/jostle - it's basically held tightly into my belly fat (belly fat does occasionally come in handy).
    The only thing I worry about is if they run headlong into my stomach and bump their heads. I try to prevent them running headlong into my stomach anyway, because it hurts!
    My husband (who doesn't carry) is more worried about the issue, so if I think it'll worry him, I will put the gun into my carry purse/pack out of reach of the kids, just while playing with them. When it's time to calm down I'll put it right back on.

I feel it's much safer to carry it on me at all times than to have it somewhere around the house. With it on me I know always and at all times where it is and who can get at it.

It depends...

If I'm playing with a 4 year old...not a problem.
    If a 21 year old wants to see if dad can still wrestle (coached 14 years)...then yes...because furniture is going to get moved around.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links