Traffic stop, Why so formal?

This is a discussion on Traffic stop, Why so formal? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading another thread and didn't want to rob it. I read these responses some think should be said if pulled over by LEO ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Traffic stop, Why so formal?

VIP Member

Traffic stop, Why so formal?

I was reading another thread and didn't want to rob it.
    I read these responses some think should be said if pulled over by LEO and it just sounds so "formal". I don't think an officer is expecting someone to sit there like a robot and give him an almost memorized spill about being armed and being willing to foloow gis directions.. To feel you have to say something like :
    "Officer I feel that it is my responsibility at this time to inform you that I have a carry permit and I am armed. For your safety and mine, I will follow any directions that you have for me and answer any questions that you have pertaining to what I have just stated."
    I took this quote from another thread because it was typical I read on here as to what should be said. Personally , I think its going over board and right off the bat is going to make the officer feel like " whats up with this guy"? Not in a bad way,or suspicious, it just sounds "re-hearsed" or military. It just doesn't sound "natural". Why not make the stop casual and comfortable right off the bat?
    I've dealt with LEO and simply handed him my drivers license with my permit and causually said " I have a ccw permit and I do have a gun on me". I kept my hands on the steering wheel. He asked where my gun was, I said "On my right hip" , he said, "well just don't go grabbing for it". That was it. He thanksed me and I was off. Is it really necessary to say "For your safety and mine, I will follow any directions that you have for me and answer any questions that you have pertaining to what I have just stated." I mean cmon, why make a traffic stop so "formal" (for the lack of a better word).? He already knows I'm going to follow his directions if he has any. I've got my hands on the wheel, I've been polite, and in my state, gave him info I wasn't required to. How many people actually go through this long drawn out "spill" when pulled over?

2. Remove Ads

I guess it is up to the individual.

I follow the law in Texas and when asked for identification, hand the officer my DL and CHL permit. Period. No memorized speech, nothing of that nature.

That being said, I have not been pulled over for a traffic violation in over 14 yrs, (hope I didn't jinx myself), so I have never been in a possition to have to hand them the info while in my car.

I have been in traffic accidents or other instances where I was asked for ID, and gave them what is required, my DL and CHL permit. I didn't say anything else, and so far they have not even asked me about where the gun was, or anything of that nature. The only comment was that they appreciated me handing my CHL permit to them to let them know.

I don't see any reason to raise any alarm or anything like that. I let the officer do their job, and if they ask me to comply with a request, I will do what they ask me to do, including handing over my firearm if asked to disarm for the duration of the contact as is required by Texas law. So far it has been of little or no interest to any LEO I have come into official contact with. Hope it remains like that in the future.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

ree
    robere, I'm with you. If you're acting compliant and courteously, informal is all that's necessary.

I was stoped by state troper. I turned on the inside light and opened the window and put my hands on the wheel with ID's in hand. I handed him both DL & CHL he handed the CHL back and we did not talk about guns at all . He was very nice and I did not get a ticket.

i agree with you. i have been stopped a few times.
    the first time was before i had my permit, but the driver had his:
    'hi, first off i need to tell you i have my cpl and I'm carrying'
    "what"
    "i have a concealed pistol license and i have it on me"
    "oh, ok... do you know why i pulled you over...."

the next time i was driving back up to school with some people i didnt know. i was in the back seat and carrying but didnt want the others to know about it.
    he asked for all our licenses so that made it easy. i slipped him both and told him i had to inform him of that but didnt want the others to know.
    he said ok, asked if it currently applied, and later asked me to step outside and we talked guns for a little while.

the last time i was driving, but not carrying. i didnt really get pulled over, i didnt even see the cop. i parked at one of the dorms to pick up a computer and got out of the car and woh, a cop was standing in front of me. i handed him my license and told him i had a cpl but wasnt carrying. ends up he was a local range officer and more or less gave me a pat on the back- never scanned my license.

in every case no ticket was given, although in every case it i wasnt pulled over for speeding. they all had to do with the license plates not being lit, or falling off.
    anyways, what im getting at here is in every case i was very casual, although still making sure not to make any sudden moves and such.
    also an interesting note, being a girl, its REALLY not something they expect. both were very surprised and also very happy about it.
    which can be a lesson for everyone really. dont forget that girls can be just as dangerous as guys when you are keeping your eyes our for suspicious behavior

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    I'd suggest, AFTER the officer gets done with HIS initial "spiel" ("Good evening, Sir, I'm Officer ______ of the _______ Department. The reason I pulled you over is _______________. Could I see your license, registration, and proof of insurance?"), casually say, "Just so you know, I have a concealed carry permit and I am armed. My pistol is (location)," and wait to see if he gives any further instructions before reaching for wallet, glove box, etc.

The reason that police officers give the same canned speech every time is so they don't have to THINK about it, which frees their conscious mind to search for threat indicators and respond as necessary. If I were on a traffic stop, and I heard a similar "canned" speech from a driver, I might suspect that he had rehearsed HIS speech for the same reason - to gain a tactical advantage - and that might ramp up my perceived threat level.

Just a thought. Casual might be better than formal.

Also, I keep my registration and insurance card clipped to my sunvisor, and my wallet in my LEFT rear pocket. On a driver-side approach, the officer can see exactly what I'm doing when retrieving the requested items. From the time I put the transmission in "Park" until the time he requests those items, my hands stay on the steering wheel.

(I don't have cruise control, and sometimes my speed is governed by what song is playing. Damn Metallica, anyway! LoL)

here in michigan the law specifically says to inform the officer immediately
    so just to be safe i generally try and do it before letting him to his spiel if im carrying. if im not i do it when i hand him my license, not because i have to by law, but because he is going to find out in a minute anyways, i might as well tell him so he doesnt get nervous finding out i have a cpl without me telling him

The couple of times I got pulled over by officers on my department, I used to start off with " I hate cops!!!!"
    Now that I don't have my department credentials anymore that might not be such a good idea.
    I guess jumping out of the car yelling " I got a gun!" and reaching for my wallet wouldn't be a good idea either.....
    I think I will follow Sergeant Mac's lead on this!
    ( I would like to see my boys grow up!)
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I've been pulled over a couple of times by the state highway patrol since I've had my CHL. As is the law here in Texas, I just handed over my CHL along with my driver's license and proof of insurance. I didn't say anything about it and just left it up to the officer if he wanted to question me on it. In one case, he said nothing at all, in the other, he asked me what kind of gun and where was it. No further questions or discussion, and no big deal.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I was reading another thread and didn't want to rob it.
    I read these responses some think should be said if pulled over by LEO and it just sounds so "formal". I don't think an officer is expecting someone to sit there like a robot and give him an almost memorized spill about being armed and being willing to foloow gis directions.. To feel you have to say something like :
    "Officer I feel that it is my responsibility at this time to inform you
    Of course not. For God's sake hand the guy your drivers license, your carry permit and your vehicle registration, put your hands on the steering wheel, shut up and wait for instructions.

VIP Member

Slightly off topic

I'm handcuffing you for your safety and mine.
    Yeah, and I'm old enough to fall down with my hands
    behind my back.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    I guess it is up to the individual.

I follow the law in Texas and when asked for identification, hand the officer my DL and CHL permit. Period. No memorized speech, nothing of that nature.

That being said, I have not been pulled over for a traffic violation in over 14 yrs, (hope I didn't jinx myself), so I have never been in a possition to have to hand them the info while in my car.

I have been in traffic accidents or other instances where I was asked for ID, and gave them what is required, my DL and CHL permit. I didn't say anything else, and so far they have not even asked me about where the gun was, or anything of that nature. The only comment was that they appreciated me handing my CHL permit to them to let them know.

I don't see any reason to raise any alarm or anything like that. I let the officer do their job, and if they ask me to comply with a request, I will do what they ask me to do, including handing over my firearm if asked to disarm for the duration of the contact as is required by Texas law. So far it has been of little or no interest to any LEO I have come into official contact with. Hope it remains like that in the future.

+1

I haven't been stopped for a traffic violation in 20 years and didn't have a carry license back then, so it wasn't an issue. However, I know many LEO's and the best thing you can do (according to them) is keep your hands visible, not say anything until asked unless it's "Hello officer", then simply answer their questions as briefly and directly as possible, preferably without an attitude.

On a side note, the same applies when stopped by the police for ANY reason, whether you are in a vehicle or not!
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

I have been stopped twice since I got my license. The first time, I gave the LEO my licenses and proof of insurance. He gave me a citation and wished me a nice day. About two weeks ago, I was stopped for going 8 miles over the speed limit. I stopped when I saw the lights on the cruiser turn on. I turned my interior lights on. Put my licenses and proof of insurance in my left hand. Placed both hands on the steering wheel and waited for the LEO to approach. When he reached my door, the first word out of his mouth was "Are you packing?" I say yes, and at the same time gave him the documents. He asked me"Where is your gun?" I told him it was on my side. He told me "Get out of the car" To make a long story short, he told me to put my hands on the rear window of my SUV and he took my gun. After he played with it in his cruiser for about 15 minutes, he gave it back to me with the bolt to the rear. He gave me the magazine and the single round that was in the chamber. Then he told me that he can take my gun whenever he wants for my safety and his. I filed a complain with the EL Paso Police Internal Affairs Unit.

I was in Big Bend Nat'l Park and didn't inform the Park Ranger I had a Texas CHL. (This is required in TX, but I was in a Nat'l Park--not TX.) I figured showing him my ID would confuse the issue.

Wrong. After running my plate, the Park Ranger asked if I was carrying, (I wasn't) and politely reminded me that concealed carry isn't allowed in the park. He told me to slow down, and I was on my way.

Just follow the law here in Michigan and there is no problem. Everyone is different and I imagine there are some Officer's that are just like some of us. Worried about everyone and wanting to get home at the end of their shift.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links