Will Canadian Border Security be searching Ohio Licensees?

This is a discussion on Will Canadian Border Security be searching Ohio Licensees? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Today in the Cleveland Plain Dealer is an article about The Canadian Border Security Agency gaining access to all kinds of information about Americans entering ...

Thread: Will Canadian Border Security be searching Ohio Licensees?

Will Canadian Border Security be searching Ohio Licensees?

Today in the Cleveland Plain Dealer is an article about The Canadian Border Security Agency gaining access to all kinds of information about Americans entering Canada, including driving offenses, etc.

http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2007...nal_backg.html

All Ohio Concealed Handgun Licensees have their license info in the Ohio Law Enforcement Automated Data System (LEADS) which is the computer system Ohio LEOs use to check people.

I emailed the PD reporter and asked if he knew if his story meant the Canadians had access to LEADS and he replied:

"Neither the Canadians nor the Americans will reveal what data they are using/sharing, even to the people who get turned around at the border. Sorry."

So I guess if we see a pattern of Ohio licensees having their cars searched before they enter Canada, we can guess they do have access to LEADS.

2. Remove Ads

They'll just ask if you have any firearms... they do that to me every time I go to Canada, they even ask me how long I will be staying, I look at them like they are from Mars when they ask that... since I am a Canadian... I can stay as long as I friggin want!

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I used to cross the border several times a week,(truck driver). The first few times they asked me the usual questions--Any alcohol, tobacco, or firearms? As a smoker and a driver that hauled beer my answer was "2 out of 3". Until the border guards got to the point where they knew who it was in that truck it was usually good for a few more questions. Later on they just waved me through after checking my BOL.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Not that I advocate the policy, but I believe (I'll be corrected if wrong ) that we treat visitors to the US in the same manner, including having some access to other countries databases.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    And now we're going to fingerprint each and every visitor to our wonderful country.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

VIP Member
    The issue is publishing the info. Do not go to Canada with a handgun period.

I Don't go to Canada anymore for several reasons. My money spends here just fine, and my rights don't get smashed.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I quit going to Canada years ago...never again!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Never been there so I never lost anything there to go back to look for.
    I have no intention to ever go to Canada. Washington State is starting a trial of putting a chip on the drivers license of those who want it, so all that needs to be done is scan it and your life story is told. This is for those that cross the border a lot, then they will not need their passport.

they didn't turn me back

I have a Georgia DL and carry permit. They did ask if I owned firearms. I said yes, then they asked if I had any with me and I said no. There was no search, just how long you staying and why are you here. This was at the Niagara River Bridge. The crossing took all of maybe 5 minutes. 3 minutes coming back into US.

Quote Originally Posted by albundy View Post
    They did ask if I owned firearms.
    ???? Having them with you is one thing but owning?

I would be tempted to say back "Do you own any snow tires?"

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Most of our border guards have been brought up to believe that all Americans pack "heat" and a trigger happy bloodthirsty killers. They seem to ask almost all of the people I meet that cross the border.

Still you are going into another country and you must respect the laws and know what you can and can't do. You can check the Canadian Firearms Centre website for the rules of bringing firearms into the county. It would pay to download those rules and bring them along as many police and Border types are not well veresed in the laws governing firearms.

Many Canadians get charged for not having trigger locks on "Non-restricted" firearms despite there being no requirement under the law to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    Not that I advocate the policy, but I believe (I'll be corrected if wrong ) that we treat visitors to the US in the same manner, including having some access to other countries databases.
    Yes, I get the same questions when I come back over the border.

Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Never been there so I never lost anything there to go back to look for.
    I have no intention to ever go to Canada. Washington State is starting a trial of putting a chip on the drivers license of those who want it, so all that needs to be done is scan it and your life story is told. This is for those that cross the border a lot, then they will not need their passport.
    Well I'm from Canada, and both the wife and I have family there, and I own houses here in the USA and in Canada so even though it may go against the grain, we'd like to get the new DL that has that capability once available.

What we need at our favorite crossing is a storage locker.. that way I can carry up to the crossing, put my firearm in a locker, head into Vancouver BC... Then when I come back, go pick up my firearm and drive on through to my house in the USA... One could dream I guess... LOL

Heck, I heard there was a fire up in Niagra on the Canada side, so Firemen from New York Responded, and they forgot their IDs, they were denied entry.

Go Figure.

Links