looking to get wife cpl (but)

This is a discussion on looking to get wife cpl (but) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; question i have is about my wife applying for a cpl. i know that per. msp list of reasons not being able to get one ...

Thread: looking to get wife cpl (but)

question i have is about my wife applying for a cpl. i know that per.
    msp list of reasons not being able to get one are quite a few.
    now the only reason stopping her from getting a license is question
    #15 the applicant does not have a diagnosed mental illness at time
    app. is made regardless of weather he/she is recieving treatment
    or not. she has been diaginosed with bipolar. iknowthat she is not
    a threat to herself or others. my question would be if she were to
    aquire statements from her doctors,ifthat might have a bering
    and/or decision from county gun board on her getting cpl.(after
    taken required training courses) or would she just be sol.
    any input would begreatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

I am not a doctor or an attorney, but my wife has a couple masters’ degrees in mental health and counseling field.

Like any other Governmental form, I would advise answering all questions truthfully and completely.

I s/w my wife, and she advised that bipolar while a treatable condition may not be a mental condition your state will consider as acceptable for her to carry a firearm.

If I were you, I would have your wife call her doctor, and ask him/her how to answer that question. And if they advise to answer the question with “yes”, I would ask the Doctor for a letter stating her condition and that she is not a threat, and is stable.

Administrator
    I dont think bipolar will disqualify her.
    "Just blame Sixto"

first of let me say, good for her.
    answer yes and bring as much info as u can to the gun board.
    answering yes by no means disqualifies you.
    let us know how it turns out.

She will need a letter from her Doctor stating that she is not receiving treatment for a mental illness, and is not a threat to herself or anyone else for a starting point, if she has a diagnois of bi-polar. Good luck on getting it, since a true bi-polar can have major problems without the proper medication. I don't think a Doctor will do it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Ever been married to a Bi-Polar lady that refused to get treatment? I have and it isnt pleasant ! You might be better served by not encouraging her to get a CCP.

I once walked into our kitchen to find an open jar of gasoline on the cabinet. When asked about it her reply was,"You know I hate violence and the gas is to throw on you and set you on fire the next time you argue with me". Makes perfect sense to a Bi-Polar, but not to the rest of us.

I was married to a bipolar lady for many years she went up and down. Said and did things and over reacted to little things. But I did not ever see her do anything that would make me think she would hurt anyone.

well thank you very much for the advice, ive been with her 6 yrs. and the
    worst ive seen her do is spend money(no surprise there) and talk alot.
    poor girl will talk your ears off. but thanks again for input. i think well talk with her doctor and county gun board andgo from there.
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Manic depressive

glock27mark,

I left my first wife, 33 years ago. She had been diagnosed as manic-depressive, as they called it back then. When I came home from work, I could tell if she had taken her medication from her first glance at me. After the first occurance, I took all my guns to my Dad's house.

I would still be married to her if she stayed on her med's. I still believe she, as I'm sure your wife is, a very sweet lady. My only concern for you, and it is surely none of my business, is the potential liability, if nothing else.

It is not the person's fault, but a result of the affliction. I don't pretend to be a medical professional, but I would seek guidance from a professional, or organization that has a greater depth of knowledge of the Bipolar condition and possible consequences.

Again sir, I mean no disparagement towards your wife, but am offering my opinion for the safety of all concerned.

Be well, my friend

David

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I think i would do some calling and letter writing to the state agency responsible for ccw licences , background checks , ect.. as well as any local boards you must pass before plunking down an application fee . Get their opinion , and get it in writing about the issue . If she is non eligible , but may become eligible with a letter from a Dr. then find out just what the qualifying factors are and then check to see if her doc agrees that she qualifys . I am not saying she cant or shouldnt have a ccw , just that in her case it may well pay to do the legwork first to see what is legal , as well as what is suitable for her .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I dont think bipolar will disqualify her.
    Well being bipolar certainly should have prevented my second wife from getting any license or any weapon. Crazy as a loon with a raging temper.

Well, as a psychologist, the chance that I would sign off on that for someone suffering from BPD would be vanishingly small. Although it is among the easiest disorders to treat with medication, compliance with the BPD meds is pretty much expected to be a problem over time.

The problem is that the meds take away the manic episodes. The patients usually really, REALLY enjoy mania, especially at the beginning of a cycle. There are some BPD sufferers who take a yearly "vacation" from the meds, and allow themselves to cycle into mania. They report that there is no drug that offers the kind of high they can get simply by NOT taking meds. And there are few things in life more irrational than someone in the peak of a full blown mania.

In short, the risk is simply too high. I suppose there are circumstances in which I would sign off on it, but as I sit here thinking about it I can not think what they might be. So, I think you may be in for a hard sell in this case.

Also, this is not a reflection on her character. This disorder is biologically based, and NOT a result of poor decision making. I would have no problem believing she is a fine upstanding solid citizen. But her disorder is a serious one, and any contact with firearms should be approached with a healthy measure of caution. This is because one of the primary features of the disorder is that it can steal away a persons ability to make rational decisions.

Good Luck,
    I wish you well.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadhazzard View Post
    Well, as a psychologist, the chance that I would sign off on that for someone suffering from BPD would be vanishingly small. Although it is among the easiest disorders to treat with medication, compliance with the BPD meds is pretty much expected to be a problem over time.

The problem is that the meds take away the manic episodes. The patients usually really, REALLY enjoy mania, especially at the beginning of a cycle. There are some BPD sufferers who take a yearly "vacation" from the meds, and allow themselves to cycle into mania. They report that there is no drug that offers the kind of high they can get simply by NOT taking meds. And there are few things in life more irrational than someone in the peak of a full blown mania.

In short, the risk is simply too high. I suppose there are circumstances in which I would sign off on it, but as I sit here thinking about it I can not think what they might be. So, I think you may be in for a hard sell in this case.

Also, this is not a reflection on her character. This disorder is biologically based, and NOT a result of poor decision making. I would have no problem believing she is a fine upstanding solid citizen. But her disorder is a serious one, and any contact with firearms should be approached with a healthy measure of caution. This is because one of the primary features of the disorder is that it can steal away a persons ability to make rational decisions.

Good Luck,
    I wish you well.
    hey roadhazzard, well first of all welcome
    to the forum and thank you for your input in this matter.
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Ever been married to a Bi-Polar lady that refused to get treatment? I have and it isnt pleasant ! You might be better served by not encouraging her to get a CCP.

I once walked into our kitchen to find an open jar of gasoline on the cabinet. When asked about it her reply was,"You know I hate violence and the gas is to throw on you and set you on fire the next time you argue with me". Makes perfect sense to a Bi-Polar, but not to the rest of us.
    This brought back a lot of memories. That's a ride I'd rather not take again. Wasn't married to one, but grew up with one. Having a gun was the absolute last thing in the world she needed.

No offense to the OP's wife, but if it's a serious case of bipolar, I wouldn't allow access to a gun at all, unless I was the only one who could make the decision about when she could be armed. One who is bipolar and riding a manic high will feel fine, and if told otherwise, may go ballistic. Wrong combination to mix with a gun.

A very mild case of BPD, maybe, with proper supervision, and only when you decide she is fit to carry. One who is bipolar on a manic high either loses the capability of self judgement, or doesn't care.

A bad case of BPD... you must have a death wish. I'd also be concerned about liability, even if you don't think she'd be a threat to you. If you facilitate her being armed, you may want to talk to your insurance agent about personal insurance. You might open yourself and her to a nasty civil suit if she shoots someone, either on her meds or off, especially if she's going through an episode. If she shoots someone, expect her entire mental history to be dissected in court.

Again, no offense to the OP, as I don't know you or your wife, or how bad her condition is. I don't know if BPD is new to you, or you've dealt with it a long time. The doc is right: many with BPD will try to go off their meds at some point in their life because they enjoy the high of the mania, regardless of how it adversely affects those around them. It is not uncommon for someone with BPD to intentionally deceive those around them by appearing to take their meds, but actually they are not. They feel great, they feel fine, life is good on the high, and how dare you interfere by insisting they take meds to bring them down.

IMO, mixing a gun with anything other than a mild case of BPD is a powderkeg with a lit fuse. I wish I was not speaking from personal experience. I guess this is where I part ways with those who feel everyone, without exception, has the right to be armed.

My apologies if I have offended any members here who are bipolar and who carry. I am speaking from 40 years of experience with one family member. I hope my family situation was more extreme than everyone else's... but I doubt it.

In your situation, for her protection, I would focus heavily on the other areas such as alarm systems, big dogs, non-lethal means of incapacitation, etc. I might not rule out some limited access to firearms, but I certainly wouldn't provide unfettered access, and I would retain the sole authority as to when she had access.

actually she a good head on her shoulders,just trying to keep her legal.
    (and safe ofcourse).but with all the helpful advice, doesnt sound like she
    will be carrying.( oh no,i ll have togo shopping with her) thanks again for all
    your help.
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Links