My town can't count to 30 - getting impatient

This is a discussion on My town can't count to 30 - getting impatient within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, here's the deal. I applied for my CCW on Oct. 23. According to Maine law, and I quote : 12. Permit for a resident ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My town can't count to 30 - getting impatient

OK, here's the deal.
    I applied for my CCW on Oct. 23. According to Maine law, and I quote:
    12. Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days. The issuing authority, as defined in this chapter, shall issue or deny, and reply in writing as to the reason for any denial, within 30 days of the application date in the case of a resident of 5 or more years

Now, it's Dec 5th, more than 30 days later, and still no word. I called last week, and the secretary I spoke to said "Well, I'm pretty sure we've run the backgrounds, it went over to the detectives, these things usually take at least 30 days." I wasn't going to argue the point, she's not in power, just a secretary. I don't want to be an ass, and I know no one, especially LEOs, like having the law quoted to them. On the other hand....I'm getting rather impatient, so i was considering calling somone higher up and seeing if they could look into it, but again, I don't want to be a pain. What do y'all think?
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

take a deep breath.
    if u dont here back from them in a week or two then do something

Yeah, I'm not exactly losing sleep over it, but I had (maybe unrealistic) expectations, and am now being let down.

Plus, I was hoping to get it soon to use it as an excuse to purchase the CCW piece. The fiancee is apathetic at best about guns, and I'd like to get some practice time in with it before it gets so cold the gun will freeze to my hands. I've never heard of an indoor range anywhere near me. Heck, i'd never heard of an indoor range before I started browsing the gun forums.

should be something here regarding an indoor Range near you

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/f...l.asp?State=ME

I second being Patient and let things run their course

in some instances the squeaky wheel gets the grease...

but...

with your CCW permit do you really want to draw attention
    and perhaps generate extra questions during the process ?

In Georgia the law states in 3 months. It depends on the county. Some do it much quicker. If it makes you feel any better the county I live in, which takes in the city of Atlanta is now closer to 6 months. Go figure......

Wow is all I can say, and I love Maine. I lived in Caribou in 68 and part of 69.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Nah, you lived in Northern Maine

Seriously, though, I don't want to rock the boat and draw undue attention to it. I don't have anything in my background that would disqualify me - nothing. Only encounters with LEOs have been traffic stops, never been the subject of an investigation. Heck, only time I've even seen the jail was to pick up an application. There's no reason for them not to issue it. I don't want to do anything which could put it in jeopardy, but then again, I do have rights. I don't know how I would got about enforcing it though.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffsmith View Post
    should be something here regarding an indoor Range near you

http://www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/f...l.asp?State=ME
    Thank you very much for that link. There are indeed several indoor ranges in Maine, though only one within 40 miles of me (I'm in southern maine, and all the rest are central/northern) Going to have to look into that.

I think you should call up and very politely ask for a status on your application. Although it's been more than 30 days, do you know if the 30 days is calendar or business? The last thing you want to do is antagonize someone who could be your friend. If you maintain your cool and act politely, you'll accomplish more than if you're a pain.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
    OK, here's the deal.
    I applied for my CCW on Oct. 23. According to Maine law, and I quote:
    12. Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days. The issuing authority, as defined in this chapter, shall issue or deny, and reply in writing as to the reason for any denial, within 30 days of the application date in the case of a resident of 5 or more years

Now, it's Dec 5th, more than 30 days later, and still no word. I called last week, and the secretary I spoke to said "Well, I'm pretty sure we've run the backgrounds, it went over to the detectives, these things usually take at least 30 days." I wasn't going to argue the point, she's not in power, just a secretary. I don't want to be an ass, and I know no one, especially LEOs, like having the law quoted to them. On the other hand....I'm getting rather impatient, so i was considering calling somone higher up and seeing if they could look into it, but again, I don't want to be a pain. What do y'all think?
    It could be worse. In Kansas the law says they won't issue it in less than 45 days but must issue it within 90 days. The 45 days is supposed to make sure everyone has time to check you out.

Generally, less than 10 days means business days, more means calendar. Either way, by some quick calculations, today would be the 30th business day. I mean, don't want to turn a friend into an enemy, but I want it.

At least that makes sense, the KS law. I mean, 30 days does seem like a short time to do all the required checks, but that's what the law says. If the law said "45-90" then that's the way it goes, I wouldn't be worried.

took me about 3 months.
    i wish it had been 30 days

My Maine license took over 90 days to receive.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Lucky you..I am into day number 127 and still waiting for my renewal to arrive...it is possible that I may have to wait at least another 17 days according to my instructor who told me this way back in July.

Who do you actually GET the permit from in Maine? Is it the actual LEO's or do they just run the background checks and you get it from the court? Either way...we don't let em get away with that here in VA. They have a job to do, but it is NO EXCUSE for skirting the law themselves. Hold their collective feet to the fire. Just make sure you're polite about it as much as possible. This means you're going to have to know your stuff on the Maine CCW regs. Make sure you know it inside and out, print out multiple copies, take them with you to talk to whoever is in charge of the CCW permits there(again...keep your cool while you're at it). If they aren't willing to help and/or abide by the rules...go higher. Do you guys have any kind of org up there like VCDL you can turn to? Just my $.034795399999999
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links