Defensive Carry banner

My town can't count to 30 - getting impatient

2K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  BlackBear 
#1 ·
OK, here's the deal.
I applied for my CCW on Oct. 23. According to Maine law, and I quote:
12. Permit for a resident of 5 or more years to be issued or denied within 30 days; permit for a nonresident and resident of less than 5 years to be issued or denied within 60 days. The issuing authority, as defined in this chapter, shall issue or deny, and reply in writing as to the reason for any denial, within 30 days of the application date in the case of a resident of 5 or more years

Now, it's Dec 5th, more than 30 days later, and still no word. I called last week, and the secretary I spoke to said "Well, I'm pretty sure we've run the backgrounds, it went over to the detectives, these things usually take at least 30 days." I wasn't going to argue the point, she's not in power, just a secretary. I don't want to be an ass, and I know no one, especially LEOs, like having the law quoted to them. On the other hand....I'm getting rather impatient, so i was considering calling somone higher up and seeing if they could look into it, but again, I don't want to be a pain. What do y'all think?

#3 ·
Yeah, I'm not exactly losing sleep over it, but I had (maybe unrealistic) expectations, and am now being let down.

Plus, I was hoping to get it soon to use it as an excuse to purchase the CCW piece. The fiancee is apathetic at best about guns, and I'd like to get some practice time in with it before it gets so cold the gun will freeze to my hands. I've never heard of an indoor range anywhere near me. Heck, i'd never heard of an indoor range before I started browsing the gun forums.

#8 ·
#7 ·
Nah, you lived in Northern Maine :wink:

Seriously, though, I don't want to rock the boat and draw undue attention to it. I don't have anything in my background that would disqualify me - nothing. Only encounters with LEOs have been traffic stops, never been the subject of an investigation. Heck, only time I've even seen the jail was to pick up an application. There's no reason for them not to issue it. I don't want to do anything which could put it in jeopardy, but then again, I do have rights. I don't know how I would got about enforcing it though.

#9 ·
I think you should call up and very politely ask for a status on your application. Although it's been more than 30 days, do you know if the 30 days is calendar or business? The last thing you want to do is antagonize someone who could be your friend. If you maintain your cool and act politely, you'll accomplish more than if you're a pain.

#11 ·
Generally, less than 10 days means business days, more means calendar. Either way, by some quick calculations, today would be the 30th business day. I mean, don't want to turn a friend into an enemy, but I want it.

At least that makes sense, the KS law. I mean, 30 days does seem like a short time to do all the required checks, but that's what the law says. If the law said "45-90" then that's the way it goes, I wouldn't be worried.

#15 ·
Who do you actually GET the permit from in Maine? Is it the actual LEO's or do they just run the background checks and you get it from the court? Either way...we don't let em get away with that here in VA. They have a job to do, but it is NO EXCUSE for skirting the law themselves. Hold their collective feet to the fire. Just make sure you're polite about it as much as possible. This means you're going to have to know your stuff on the Maine CCW regs. Make sure you know it inside and out, print out multiple copies, take them with you to talk to whoever is in charge of the CCW permits there(again...keep your cool while you're at it). If they aren't willing to help and/or abide by the rules...go higher. Do you guys have any kind of org up there like VCDL you can turn to? Just my $.034795399999999

#16 ·
You really can do nothing but wait...do so calmly!
I remember in the service when people complained about a pay check error...the next check sometimes fell behind a desk:rolleyes:...it took a while before the process cut another...:image035:

You'll have it soon enough!

OMO

Stay armed...soon...stay safe!

#17 ·
DrLewall

Your post "Lucky you..I am into day number 127 and still waiting for my renewal to arrive...it is possible that I may have to wait at least another 17 days according to my instructor who told me this way back in July." The great 2nd amendment Huckabee state?

In MN, time was 29 days in liberal Hennipin county, next door county, my friend was 10 days to issue. The law here is 30 days from app file date.

Huck full of BS or real guy??

#18 ·
Greetings from another resident of Southern Maine.

Permits in Maine are issued through your local Police Department, and as such, they can even look different depending on where you live within the state. A coworker got his in the Lewiston/Auburn area, and it's a nice laminated/plastic card with picture.

Mine, from the Biddeford/Saco area is a folded piece of paper with no picture.

My own permit took a little over a month to process, and I had to call to check to see if it was in.

Regarding your search for indoor ranges, the North Berwick Rod and Gun club is working on building an indoor range on their property. From what I understand, they hope to have it done in 2008, and it will require frangible ammo.

Hope it comes through soon for you.

Alec

#19 ·
5-73-308. License — Issuance or denial.
(2) Within one hundred twenty (120) days after the date of receipt of the items listed in § 5-73-311(a), the director shall:

(A) Issue the license; or

(B) Deny the application based solely on the ground that the applicant fails to qualify under the criteria listed in this subchapter.

(3) (A) If the director denies the application, the director shall notify the applicant in writing, stating the grounds for denial.

(B) The decision of the director is final

Since I have not recieved a "denial" letter, then my hopes are up that I will recieve my permit soon, so patiently I wait.

#20 ·
Yeah, the permit is issued by a local issuing authority, if they so choose (mine does). The issuing authority is the police department, and they're the ones responsible for the background checks, etc.
I'm going to call the secretary again in the AM, and if she doesn't know anything I might bump it up the chain of command a little. Politely, but the law does say 30 days, and I'm really hoping that I don't have to wait 90+ days.

I'm really hoping not to have to push the issue, because I'm putting in my application at the PD tomorrow :)

And thanks for your response, AlecMyrddyn
I'm looking at joining North Berwick, because it's the next town over and they hold regular IDPA meets. Good to know they're working on an indoor range.

#22 ·
In NJ the LAW states ...

a firearms ID or pistol purchase permit will be issued or denied in 30 days.
In NJ they take that law and throw it in the garbage. It's taken me up to 90 days to receive these documents, and have been told they "are not a high priority".
So much for THE LAW.
BacSi:aargh4:

#24 ·
UPDATE:

Well, I talked to a sergeant on whose desk is my CCW application. Apparently, sometime last year there was an incident of an assault reported where three people pulled up, one got out and assaulted someone, then got back in and they drove off. Somehow my name is connected to this incident (wasn't me, I assure you.) So they're investigating that. At least now I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.