Permit and the Military

This is a discussion on Permit and the Military within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OPFOR I just like how they're "dorms" in the AF... What ever happened to "barracks?" Ah, these kids today..... That's Just an ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Permit and the Military

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    I just like how they're "dorms" in the AF... What ever happened to "barracks?" Ah, these kids today.....

That's Just an Air Force thing........The rest of us lived in barracks
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

Im going into the wonderful USAF, I know you cant carry on base and have to check it in and all that good stuff. Hopefully I can befriend someone who lives of base and keep it there. Dorms isn't the only word the air force changed we dont go to chow hall we eat in Dining facilities.

Funny, my crew always revolts against using the new-fangled terms. It's still a chow hall. Welcome the the AF.

I'd be careful about storing it at somebody's house unless you know them REALLY well.

I recommend not sharing the fact you have a permit/firearm with co-workers. If discovered, your friends WILL DO stupid things with it.

I have had my fair share of dealings with young airmen (officers and enlisted) and the mistakes both of them make. Most of your time will be structured and you will be on base. Learn your job, learn how to be an airman, and stay out of trouble.

Once you move off base, the chances of getting into trouble with your firearm by base authorities drop significantly.

Good luck. What AFSC have you been slotted for?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

When I was in Basic in the AF in '65 we lived in Barracks (quansut huts) While I was in Tech School we still were in Barracks but they had individual rooms with 2 persons to a room 3 or 4 floors. We always ate at the Mess Hall. It was after they sent me overseas that they started changing names of things. It must of had somthing to do with that Mighty Matel rifle they came out with and started training recruits with in the Air Force in '66 or'67, you know the one, M16. If you are going to issue toys for weapons you might as well tell the recuits that they live in Dorms, or Hotel.

The state you are in is the state laws that you must follow. Michigan accepts your license; but, you must be 21 to carry here. HOR (Home of Record) can be used legally until you get out of the military under Federal Law.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    raevan, did you get 1505's in basic or the leftover 505's? I got both, as well as my winter blues having the kangeroo pockets!! lol

Im going in open mechanical. I still dont understand then if states that accept Indianas permit require you to be 21 to carry there. I understand that to get say a kentucky permit you have to be 21 but if i have my Indiana permit then I should still be able to carry in their state because its their law that says they accept Indianas permit. If they dont like the rules or terms Indiana residents have to fulfill to get a permit then why dont they just not accept it.

Ok heres another question then. In indiana you dont have to go to any class or get trained on your handgun. So say im 21 and have my indiana permit and go to a state that requires you to take a test or class to be able to carry. I "legally" wouldnt be allowed to carry because i dont meet the states requirements of taking the test?

I think you should just wait until you're in the military and stationed at your first duty station before you get your CCW permit. Having one really isn't practical when you're in the dorms. And I have NEVER heard of a new airman being able to live off base unless they are married. You sure won't need a weapon while living on base. Instead of worrying about a CCW permit, look into going to college. The Air Force paid for ALL of my college and I now have a bachelors degree.

Open mechanical huh? I went in open mechanical myself. I hit my 10 year mark in a few weeks. Anyways, I started out as a crew chief on KC-10's. More than likely, you are going to end up as a crew chief as well since the Air Force is VERY short on crew chief's at the moment. If they give you a choice at basic, choose heavies and NOT fighters. Heavies are easier to work on, the ops tempo is a little more relaxed, and you can transition into other jobs in the Air Force or in the civilian world a little easier. I worked on KC-10's for a few years, and then moved to Tinker and worked on the E-3 AWACS for a few years. Then I cross trained to my new job, flight engineer. I absolutely love it. The Air Force has been really good to me. If you're interested, there is a forum like this one for Air Force enlisted members. Even if you're in the DEP, you're welcome to join. It's www.afforums.com

Warning: We're going off topic for a second...

Quote Originally Posted by KC10Chief View Post
    If they give you a choice at basic, choose heavies and NOT fighters. Heavies are easier to work on, the ops tempo is a little more relaxed, and you can transition into other jobs in the Air Force or in the civilian world a little easier.
    Matt,

I agree with the second half, but where do you get your data for the first sentence? I just came from a mixed base, and the fighter guys barely ever left home 'drome. They were in this thing called an AEF that heavy guys believe in at about the same rate as they do the tooth fairy.

Getting back to your regularly scheduled topic, I agree with what the others said about waiting until you're allowed to live off base.

Herk

Rich I got 1505s in basic. I have to admit I was not to fond of them but liked them better then the blues we wore later. I was more of a fatigues type of guy anyway. My first hitch I was a "ditty bop" or Morse Code intercept operator. Spent 8 hours a day listening to Russian Morse Code while stationed at RAF Chicksands England. After those 2 years I cross trained into something I could use on the outside. Those 2 years were the longest most boring years of my life. Once I crossed trained into Entomology, (Pest Control) I had a ball. I enjoyed working with the Civil Engineers and Entomology is one job where the officers don't spend much time trying to tell you how to do your job. I've been killing bugs ever since. As for getting a CCW, might as well wait until your at your permenant station before you start the paper work. Anyway you look at it, it will be a hassle until you get to move off base. By the way KC10Chief has it right. Work on the big birds. My wife is a C-17 electrician and has worked on C-141, C-5, C-130s and F-4s. She hated working on the F-4s. She had to spend all day taking them apart to get to what needed fixing. With the big aircraft it is much easier to reach everything. By the way KC10Chief, do you know Dalton Pratt, He is a retired Chief gas passer from Altus AFB. Just retired last year and was my neighbor for 14 years here. My wife and his wife rode horses together.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

B52
    1+ with what KC10 said. Unless your married, you will be in the dorms and can't have a gun in your room. The AF also paid for my BA degree 100% Tuition Assistance, and I am working on an MBA. I haven't even touched my GI Bill, yet. I went in open mechanical and after basic learned I would be a B52-H Crew Chief. Crew Chief's work hard and party even harder, hopefully you will get heavies and maybe become a flying crew chief. Good luck, the CCW will come in time, be patient.

i really want nuclear munitions but i'll do whatever they have me doin

B52---are you at KBAD or KMIB?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links