Permit and the Military

Permit and the Military

This is a discussion on Permit and the Military within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I had a quick question for anyone that might have an answer. Im joining the military in January but before I leave I wanted to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Permit and the Military

I had a quick question for anyone that might have an answer. Im joining the military in January but before I leave I wanted to apply for a permit. I am not sure how it would work tho because for several months I would not have a "permanent" address since i'll be in basic and tech school. Would not having a permanent address keep me from getting a permit untill I get to my first duty station? I need to get one soon tho because i'm only 19 and several states require you to be 21 to get a permit so I just hope i'll get stationed in a state that accepts indiana's. If anyone can help i'd appricate it.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    use your parents address. that's what I do. Home of record.

DITTO

that what mine is. It can be changed later.
    Zuma Forums --- Youtube Channel Link
    Yamaha Zuma 125 in Black: 164cc w/ forge piston upgrade, Yosh CF pipe, Pirelli GTS23/24 tires, Force Works ECU, SRT 4 hole injector, Race camshaft, and KOSO 28mm TB w/ manifold,

alright, thanks for the quick replys.

Oh, ALWAYS keep your original PCS orders. You will probably need to show a copy of them to buy another handgun in a state that you are stationed but not a resident.

Also, if you can have a permit to CCW in Indiana at 19, you still must abide by the laws of the state you are carrying in...which most will not let you carry until 21 regardless of your permit status.

I talked with a cop i work with and they said if the state accepts Indianas permit then I can carry there even if their law says 21 as long as they accept my states permit. Because you gotta think about it like this, a state isn't going to agree to accept a permit from another state if they dont agree on who is issued the permit in said state.

good point on the reciprocity. i forgot about that. i even read it yesterday in the WA law...they wont have reciprocity with any state that issues a permit to someone under 21

Quote Originally Posted by AluckyB View Post
    I talked with a cop i work with and they said if the state accepts Indianas permit then I can carry there even if their law says 21 as long as they accept my states permit. .
    Not to offend any cops here, but he was wrong. When carrying in another state, you MUST follow their CCW laws. And it's up to you to know what their laws are. Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

no matter what you do don't come to fort drum. you won't be able to carry(for the three months to get your permit) and most importantly you'll freeze to death. the only good thing about this post is that you can apply before the age of 21 if you are military.
    Last edited by bobcat35; December 6th, 2007 at 08:37 AM. Reason: spelling as usual
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

What branch are you joining? Another thing to think about is where are you going to keep the gun? I'm assuming you're single right? If so, you will have to live in the military dorms for at LEAST a couple of years. Guns are strictly forbidden in the dorms and for good reason. If you get caught with one, there are serious consequences. You can keep it in the armory, but then you have to go check it out, check it back in... it's a PITA. The Army might be a little more laid back, but get caught with a gun in Air Force dorms, and you might just be losing a stripe, pay, etc.

VIP Member
    Get your permit if you can and be happy about it.
    Once in the military, concealed carry will be logistically too hard until you are allowed/married and live ashore. Then you will still have the loading and unloading issues going on and off base as well as properly stowing it in your vehicle according to that base's order on the subject. Keep in mind all weapons
    taken on base must be registered with base authorities!
    So carry may be defacto limited to going on leave to states that permit your carry.

VIP Member
    I just like how they're "dorms" in the AF... What ever happened to "barracks?" Ah, these kids today....

Seriously, it is POSSIBLE to live off post as a single junior enlisted. It is very rare, but not unheard of. If you do live in the barracks (sorry, zoomies, dorms) do NOT keep your weapon in them (don't ask me how I've come to my very strong opinions on this matter...lol). You can register them with the Provost Marshal, and store them in your units arms room or the MP station arms room, depending. (Or, of course, a married buddy's house, but that presents a whole new slate of problems.)

Also, your CCW means nothing to the MPs/SPs - you won't be allowed to carry concealed on base. Some post commanders (I'm talking to you, General Whats-your-name in Alaska) forbid their troops from carrying OFF base, period. It's always nice to think of all the rights we sacrifice in order to protect those rights for others, isn't it?

All that being said, get your permit, use your home of record, and keep your orders. You can then legally buy firearms in your state of permanent residence, and in whatever state(s) you happen to get posted to (with your mil ID and PCS orders in hand). Good luck with your permit, and your career.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

First off.....if you've got to have it, get your permit now before you ship off to boot camp. Your tech "A" school may be in a state that does NOT honor/have reporcity with IN. Waiting til your first duty station might work, but an AD military member stationed in HI or CA has about zero chance of getting a permit.

Most states would require you to present a copy of your orders, that can be retrived anytime at bupers online, to prove your stationed/resident there reguardless of your drivers lic/home of record. Then it's just follow the directions and get your new CCL.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Quote Originally Posted by AluckyB View Post
    I had a quick question for anyone that might have an answer. Im joining the military in January but before I leave I wanted to apply for a permit. I am not sure how it would work tho because for several months I would not have a "permanent" address since i'll be in basic and tech school. Would not having a permanent address keep me from getting a permit untill I get to my first duty station? I need to get one soon tho because i'm only 19 and several states require you to be 21 to get a permit so I just hope i'll get stationed in a state that accepts indiana's. If anyone can help i'd appricate it.
    My opinion is that most states including Texas require a minimum age of 21. However, some like Texas allow active military and honorably discharged veterans under 21 to qualify for a CHL permit.

Unless you have done something to change your resident address, use of your home address should not disqualify you. You may have other obstacles in connection with the required course, but that can be done on leave time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links