New ideas for Concealed Campus?

This is a discussion on New ideas for Concealed Campus? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; (I posted this on "The High Road" as well, and I know we have a few members of SCCC around here on this board.) We've ...

Thread: New ideas for Concealed Campus?

New ideas for Concealed Campus?

(I posted this on "The High Road" as well, and I know we have a few members of SCCC around here on this board.)

We've been discussing new ideas for future events on our groups page on Facebook.

Some of the ideas thus far:

Firearms Education Week
    -trying to educate the general public on basic firearms issue, technology etc.

Take A Freshman To The Range
    -just as it says, take new shooters to the range and introduce them

Members becoming certified instructors (helps cut costs and logistics down for some other events)

Probably some more empty holster protests

I don't want to spark yet another debate about CCW on campus, we are just looking for as many fresh, new and creative ideas as possible to help further the cause.

This is the original post at facebook by Stephen, part of the Concealed Campus leadership, that has prompted some great discussion there. The goal is to work both nationally and regionally to promote CCW on campus.

"This question has been on mind for awhile now. Since sometime between 22-26 October (the dates of the Empty Holster Protest, in case you've forgotten) to be exact.

SCCC leadership sat down a few weeks ago and had a little chat thanks to AIM. We decided, for a time, that for now we would work on the website and keep on educating the masses. While that's fine and dandy for now, the protest brought in 3000 people, hundreds of emails (mostly positive), and countless instances of media attention. We need to capitalize on that and hold another public, nationwide demonstration next semester.

Luckily, Bryce, Mike, and I live well within driving distance of each other (which is purely coincidental, none of us knew each other when we joined SCCC). Over this upcoming break, we plan on meeting up to kick around some ideas. Seriously, the Empty Holster Protest was I think a combination of an idea that one of Mike's friends had and something off of Ohioans for Concealed Carry's forums. My point is that it came around from little more than just kicking ideas around.

So here's what I'm really getting at: SCCC needs another safe, public demonstration. We need something potentially attention-grabbing, perhaps with the opportunity to be educational. It doesn't necessarily have to be newsworthy, but it has to be safe, practical, and something more than 500 people will potentially want to do. The Empty Holster Protest had more than 550 pledged participants (we don't know how many ACTUALLY participated). A good goal would be 1,000 ACTUAL participants from 250 schools in the next one. One thought is a "Take a Newbie to the Range" Day. Get some brand new shooters, find a .22, teach them firearm safety and show them that firearms, when used safely/legally/responsibly aren't all that bad. It's just an idea. For ideas that get listed, if you want to critique them, please use CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, like Pros: and Cons:, not "that's a stupid idea".

So...ideas...ready set go."

Thanks
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -- George Orwell

Ron Paul 2008!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Geek:

+1 on the certified instructors. Also, I know you have some ladies in your group from the article I read and I would reccomend contact the NRA for the Refuse to be a Victim program. I am not sure how it is taught, but I am guessing the NRA can give you all the info. The program is aimed at women, it is not gun related and deals with what women can do to make themselves safer. It should be a great selling point with all the "non-disclosed" horror stories coming out of different campuses (Campii?)

When you say Take a Freshman to the Range, is it literally a Freshman or somebody that has never been at the range? Anyway, good idea!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Freshman/Gun Newb from some of the discussion. Right now we are just trying to find as many ideas as possible and work on details later. I wanted to throw the question out to the larger community. See what the enlightened minds on some of the various forums could offer in the way of creative thinking.

On the instructors, sounds like those of us with the group here in OH may be able to get a reduced cost course. Still a ways down the road, but it was an idea thrown out. If anyone has some resources for our other states to help student leaders get certified, I will leave a link to the website for concealed campus to get in touch with the national leadership.
    http://www.concealedcampus.org/

If any of our other college students or high school students here on the board are interested, the Facebook page is:

http://osu.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2383535699

(It is a global group, just linking from my profile...thus the OSU in the link)
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -- George Orwell

Ron Paul 2008!

I plan on getting NRA certified and having my own CCW course within 2 years. I'll offer reduced costs to students, and free training to state legislatures. 75% of Utah's legislature has gone through one guy's course, and they have a very easy time defeating 'bad' CCW laws - coinkidink? I think not....

Anyways, I'm going to invest in a .22 conversion for my 1911 for the newbie training, and will be finishing the bylaws to create a shooting sports club at the University of Cincinnati this winter break. I hope to have a monthly weekend where I take a few people to a range.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    I'd say stay w/the empty holster protest. Post information on the bulletin boards to see if interest is drummed on (on your specific campus.) I need to see if they have fliers on their website, I can print up and put on the bulletin boards around campus. Stay villigant(sp).

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Enlisting some women in your cause, couldn't hurt either. That way you guys wouldn't be viewed as urban "rambo" wannabes as the press likes to label us.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

It's sad that a ban exist at all.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

definitely invite more woman. They'll invite their friends. Have fun at the range and word will spread like fire.

We're trying to get as many women involved as possible. In my experience, sorry to be sexist, but women are easer to talk to and debate this issue with positively. Yes, you will always have the folks that think we're nuts and nothing can change that - but that portion in my experience has been mostly males.

We do have fliers and handouts available on our website for download.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Lets try and get more Faculty and Staff involved in this too. The ban affects them equally. They can't carry on campus either. Same rule, same effect... and its likely to contain a good number of Conceal Weapons permit holders already affected by the bans on campus. It is perhaps the case that many of them are not Facebook users. I know I am not.

Links