How to lock handgun in car safely?

This is a discussion on How to lock handgun in car safely? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, thanks to you all I now have the law down for how Ohio works. Looks like it's very easy for a Kentucky boy to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to lock handgun in car safely?

Okay, thanks to you all I now have the law down for how Ohio works. Looks like it's very easy for a Kentucky boy to carry there. You guys have heard of Kentucky right? You know... the promised land. ha! Just had to fit that in there somehow. My question is I need some suggestions on what you all do when you leave the house carrying but sometime during the day you have to go to a place that doesn't allow you to carry (ex. run in the courthouse or something). My glove box doesn't even lock. Have a 2007 Ford Focus and that must have been a high dollar option. ha! I've heard of people that use some type of lockable boxes that slide under the seat and then use a cable to lock them down. Just looking for something simple, tough, and of course doesn't cost $150.00. Trying to at least lock it up in case there were a break in. Any suggestions? What do you use? Thanks again for the help!!!

Look here for Center of Mass car safes!

And Welcome to the Forum.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Bark'n... thanks for the information! Looks JUST the kind of thing I was looking for and the price seems right too. I've only posted a couple of things thus far but everyone has been very prompt with their replies and very inviting... really appreciate it.

No problem... I hope you decide to stay here and become part of the family.

Bumper runs a good clean house here and as far as I'm concerned this is the best place on the internet to discuss a deadly topic such as what we discuss here.

There are lots of good people here and this is a great place to learn and discuss topics without fear of things getting out of hand.

Sure there are some lively and sometimes fairly heated debates but the moderators do an excellent job of keeping the lid on things so the pot doesn't boil over and from those heated and lively debates a lot of good knowledge and information is gleaned.

Just remember, no ones opinion is more important than the next guys or is any more right than the next guys. Take note of the "sticky notes" at the top of each forum and read the rules and you'll be fine!

Take care and stay safe!

Welcome aboard!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

VIP Member
    You can't go wrong with a COM safe. And do stay, put your feet up and join the conversation.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Thanls for the info on COM safes.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Cabela's sells a small locking box for handguns....

I have one of these steel locking boxes with attached steel cable, sold by Cabela's for $30:

Secure It handgun lock box

It isn't perfect, but it would sure slow a thief down unless he had a cable cutter with him. It can also be used to store a gun in your suitcase for air travel.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

pogo2... I saw that case in Cabela's the other day but the customer reviews made me a little doubtful. They acted like it could just be ripped open with your hands. What are your thoughts on it? Thank you!

"Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I bought a Honeywell fire resistant lock box at WalMart, about $15. Drilled holes and ran a Kryptonite bicycle cable lock through it.

I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Janq... thanks for the information.

sisco...I had one of those fire boxes at the house and tried to use it but I wanted something that would slide under the seat and it was about 2 inches too tall to do that. I'm sure it works great though.

Think I'm going to try the large COM safe. Sounds like you all have had good luck with these. Need something since I can't carry at work.

Quote Originally Posted by allenruger View Post
    pogo2... I saw that case in Cabela's the other day but the customer reviews made me a little doubtful. They acted like it could just be ripped open with your hands. What are your thoughts on it? Thank you!
    The Cabela's unit is the same as the COM. It CANNOT be ripped open by anybody with a little hand strength like the last reviewer on the Cabela's site claimed. If somebody has a stout pry bar and some time, yes, they could pry it open. It's meant to foil smash-and-grab opportunists, not to stand up against a determined thief with the right tools. For its intended purpose, it's a great product whether you get it from COM or Cabela's (I got mine from COM and will get more from them when necessary--they are great to deal with). Don't let that one star Cabela's review deter you. You've got some great reviews here and in the thread that Janq linked. Those are good, credible endorsements. You'll find many more on other gun forums also.

VIP Member
    The COM is better than nothing...but not by much. A stiff knife blade can open it up!

From an earlier post:
    Slow down on the love fest for the Center of Mass box.

I got one recently & was getting ready to use it in my wife's vehicle. On my way out to the garage I dropped it...........the picture below will show the result. It DID NOT survive a 3 foot drop! The hinge side popped right off.

If you own one I suggest drilling out the spot welds & replace with rivets!

I'll stick with my bolted down GunVault............thanks. You get what you pay for!
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...t=hinge&page=3
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I like my COM safe...but key to using it is hiding the safe...hard to find in my vehicle...the safe just slows them down...hiding it make it secure!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    +1 to the center of mass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links