Embarssing Moment.........I got made

This is a discussion on Embarssing Moment.........I got made within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; As I shared, about two weeks ago I got my CCW. I have practically been carrying every waking moment since then. One of the places ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Embarssing Moment.........I got made

Embarssing Moment.........I got made

As I shared, about two weeks ago I got my CCW. I have practically been carrying every waking moment since then.

One of the places I frequent is our local Police Department. I have some long time friends and some shooting buddies that I go down and visit at least once a week when they are working, usually to take them dinner or dessert or for the monthly ride-along, but on this occasion just to shoot the bull (no pun intended).

As I suspect is the case for most who get their permit, I have been paranoid-like in checking to make sure I am not printing or showing the bottom of the gun. Everyday, though, I have gotten more and more comfortable with both carrying and keeping concealed, unfortunately as you will see, I got a little complacent on the concealed part.

So it is Wednesday evening and I find myself sitting in the dispatch center chatting with one dispatcher and two officers. One of the officers (actually she is a Sergeant and the OIC at the moment) is a lifelong friend, in fact she is more like a sister than a friend. She is one of the few that has a key to my house, so it is safe to say we are close and she knows I carry.

The 2nd officer is someone I would call a friend but nothing like the Sergeant. The 2nd officer decides to sit down in the chair sitting next to me on my strong side. About five minutes after he sits down I feel a quick slap on my side (the slap was non-threatening, yet I still found myself moving my arm to retain the weapon, a reaction I have been practicing since I applied for the CCW and I am thrilled that instinct took over and did as I trained here) and a "What's this?" coming from the Officer.

The Sergeant said I turned about 3 shades of red when I looked up from what I was reading. Of course the 2nd Officer appreciates fine weaponry so we went to the armory so I could unholster/unload and let him appreciate my weapon.

I learned a few things Wed. night but I was embarrased all night. 1) I decided to wear an older sweater that night that I thought fit pretty loose, and it did until I sat down and leaned over a table to read. I have to be a little more thorough in choosing the right clothing and 2) Darn the butts of these full size 1911's are long. What hides well standing up doesn't necessarily hide well sitting down. And finally, complacency has a way of sneaking up on you.

I moved the holster from 4 o'clock to 3 o'clock and the problem was solved. A cheap lesson learned and I am glad it was among friends.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

2. Remove Ads

I sincerely doubt anyone but a cop of CCW holder would have noticed. Don't take it too hard.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Cops and experienced CCW people are pretty good by now at figuring who is carrying.

One of the first days of carrying, a fellow co-worker come up to me and told me to hold still. I was wondering why? SO...I stood still, she actually re-adjusted me!! And said, "there, now it's concealing better". Apparently she's been carrying since back when Texas began allowing CHL's.

You can CCW at the Police Station??? Not in my state.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    In MO you can carry in the PD IF you have the chief's permission.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Oddly enough, the states that make it the most difficult to get a permit often have the fewest restrictions on where you can carry - it just doesn't come up, so it gets overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    Oddly enough, the states that make it the most difficult to get a permit often have the fewest restrictions on where you can carry - it just doesn't come up, so it gets overlooked.
    I might be wrong but I think that in CA is a no no.

It's a NO NO !!! in Florida...
    Tony

yep thats why i carry at 3

It's okay to carry in a police station, or other government office (except federal) in Texas. Not in a jail or courthouse.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

It's okay in Michigan.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Don't sweat it, sheeple never notice! Only someone who is trained or another person carrying may ever notice.
    Kahr CW9
    Sig P239/9mm
    Ruger LC9 (when the girlfriend lets me carry her gun)

"First Duty is To Remember"

Quote Originally Posted by Huzar View Post
    I might be wrong but I think that in CA is a no no.
    I have yet to see written law and know of at least 2 cops who are not aware that it is illegal. If someone finds a law stating that carrying in a Law Enf Office is illegal (For CA) please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Chooie View Post
    This is what I have found to be the case.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rodc13 View Post
    It's okay to carry in a police station, or other government office (except federal) in Texas. Not in a jail or courthouse.
    The only people who can carry weapons in a jail are the inmates.

He is legal as far as I know. If it isn't a federal building, school, or a courthouse he should be good to go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links