Racking one handed!!!!

Racking one handed!!!!

This is a discussion on Racking one handed!!!! within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was reading the higly debated "Israeli Draw" thread and was curious about one handed racking techiniques. What are your options for chambering a round ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Racking one handed!!!!

Racking one handed!!!!

I was reading the higly debated "Israeli Draw" thread and was curious about one handed racking techiniques. What are your options for chambering a round in a semi automatic pistol one handed??? If there are any unique techniques please add those as well.

Administrator
    Yeah, there are a few... but they are taught for emergency type of situations I.E. one of your hands gets hurt or something like that.

Most require you to catch your rear sight on a pocket, belt or whatever and rack the slide that way. Another is to trap the pistol in the backside of your knee. Its kind of hard to describe the ways on here though... I think ts just one of those things you need to see and do yourself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have at least a " blush " exposure to most techniques and imho the best is to use the rear sight as a " block " and rip the action thro the cycle by whatever you can snag the sight on ( have seen it done from a shirt pocket to a boot heel and all sorts of props besides ) . The only caution i can add is this is not a gentle technique and involves snagging the sight and then punching the pistol hard to insure a reliable feed . the knee technique ( any of the 4 i have seen ) are much more gentile , but not imho as reliable .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I tried this technique once, but I ended up "racking" myself"..geeze, gotta be more careful..
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

In any case it seems this is a difficult task to accomplish and probally not capable of doing if an attacker was instantly on you. Might take several tries to get it right if at all and chances are you won't have time for that. Really makes me re-think C/E carry.

use a wheel gun? only 100% reliable way i know.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    For injury drills, I use the method Redneck Repairs described. When standing, I use the seam of my pants. While kneeling, I use the heel of my shoe. Some use their gun belt in both positions. I don't like using the bend of the knee as much, since there is a good chance you can force a double feed or similar malfunction.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

VIP Member
    Some autos (Kimber Ultra CDP) have a ramped rear sight that's hard to catch. Instead, the front sight and top edge of the slide can be used against an edge or back of the raised heel when the toe is straight down on the ground. This is never easy, so keeping a round in the chamber is my choice. An ambidexterous BUG that can be reached with either hand is my second choice. Some techniques are nice to know, but finding simpler solutions that avoid the problems altogether will save precious time.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    use a wheel gun? only 100% reliable way i know.
    Great idea , however i have had full k framed .357s lock up due to two things one is bullet float where by the bullet actualy floats foreward and locksi the action , and second by primer expantion under recoil where a primer will float out on an unfired round and bind the cyllinder from turning . i WONT disparage ammo but i will say both conditions happened with factory ammo not reloads . A revolver is more reliable , untill you hit the rare thing that it is not , then clearing a malfunctioning auto seems simple .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    +1
    When I worked at a gun shop, everyone use to joke that I wasn't allowed to show revolvers to the customers. The reason - I have had around eight revolver lock-ups. Not with the same guns, either. Smiths, Tauruses, a Dan Wesson, an Arminus, and I think a Ruger. Not that I haven't had autos malfunction, but they are a lot easier to put back into play once they do. Either way it is irresponsible, or just plain ignorant, to not include one handed reloads, clearing techniques, and similar actions in your manual of arms.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

I had a friend who was an army MP in Germany many years ago. Since they weren't allowed to carry with one in the chamber he said that they modified their holsters by adding a hard wood block on the front top of the holster and partially draw just enough to get the sight above the block then rack it with a downward shove. He said some of those guys were so fast you couldn't tell what hapened if you didn't know.

Any videos?

Are there any videos of these techniques out there? I understand the principles, but it sounds like the sort of thing where details matter (how to avoid sweeping yourself (if avoidable) and so on.

Really good topic - I've been wondering about this one.

Quote Originally Posted by dnowell View Post
    Are there any videos of these techniques out there? I understand the principles, but it sounds like the sort of thing where details matter (how to avoid sweeping yourself (if avoidable) and so on.

Really good topic - I've been wondering about this one.
    This one is from my YouTube favorites (not me in the video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNdg-BymmFE

Another Tip

Of course I would never actually DO this (because everyone knows that "cocked & locked" is the only way to carry)

But I have noted after secret experimentation that if one carries the weapon with safety off, empty chamber and hammer already cocked, that it looks like you are carrying in condition one.

The cocked hammer makes it a LOT easier to rack the slide in whatever manner you choose.

...Skye...

Quote Originally Posted by Skye View Post
    Of course I would never actually DO this (because everyone knows that "cocked & locked" is the only way to carry)

But I have noted after secret experimentation that if one carries the weapon with safety off, empty chamber and hammer already cocked, that it looks like you are carrying in condition one.
    The cocked hammer makes it a LOT easier to rack the slide in whatever manner you choose.

...Skye...
    So?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links