Restriction of Concealed Carry in Public Places

This is a discussion on Restriction of Concealed Carry in Public Places within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In my state of Pennsylvania Private Property is NOT regulated by the Govt. in so far as Concealed OR Open carry of handguns. There is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restriction of Concealed Carry in Public Places

Distinguished Member Array AKsrule's Avatar
    In my state of Pennsylvania Private Property is NOT regulated by the Govt. in so far
    as Concealed OR Open carry of handguns.

There is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT that you obey "no gun" signs on private property.
    You DO NOT have to disclose to a private property owner that you are carrying.

HOWEVER -Normal Trespassing Laws apply.
    IF a private property owner or authorized representative becomes aware that
    you are armed - THEY CAN demand that you Leave.

I can live with that.
    -------
    -SIG , it's What's for Dinner-

know your rights!
    http://www.handgunlaw.us

"If I walk in the woods, I feel much more comfortable carrying a gun. What if you meet a bear in the woods that's going to attack you? You shoot it."
    {Bernhard Goetz}

2. Remove Ads

Ohio stupidly allows private entities to declare their premises as no-carry zones. Knowingly carrying into these zones is a felony.
    There is no standardized no-carry sign, symbol, or insignia, nor posting requirements, only that it be posted.
    These are known, for good reason, as "Criminal Protection Zones," for the posting is really saying, "Hello Criminals! Everyone within has been Legally Disarmed for Your Convenience! Enjoy!"
    Personally I pity the idiot that tries a mall killing when a CCW is in range. Of course the drive by media will crucify the CCW.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Ohio stupidly allows private entities to declare their premises as no-carry zones. Knowingly carrying into these zones is a felony.
    The families of anyone killed and injured should challenge these private entities, such as the shopping mall in Nebraska, in civil court for disarming the patrons of that mall...and then not protecting them from getting shot and maimed/killed by denying these people the right to self protection.

It'll take a good lawyer.
    Ohio law also holds harmless any entity who chooses to post -- or chooses not to post -- from CRIMINAL prosecution, in the event someone is shot on their premises.
    Criminal and Civil law are two entirely different things, but I fear I must leave such fine points to better minds than my own.
    I am quite in agreement with you, Sigsauer. Like others posting previously, my own wife is instructed to bring the biggest nastiest action against them in case I am the victim of their disarmament policies.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

VIP Member
    I heard on the news about another "would be" mall shooting a couple days after the one in Omaha. A copycat. He was busted before it went down. My worry is more malls will post "no guns allowed" because of all of this. It makes no sense to us, but to them , it does. It's ignorance at it's best.
    It is frustrating. If statistics were out where everyone could see them ( on ccw ) , alot of minds may be changed. But we know, the media would have to be changed first. Stop calling it "gun violence" for one.
    I believe alot of views are that we "civilians" are just paranoid idiots with guns that could'nt hit the broad side of a barn, thus putting the general public in danger should we ever have to use our gun. They don't know most of us practice alot more often than the average cop.
    As frustrating as it is, I don't see the media changing anytime soon. Maybe we need to start renting billboards.

Quote Originally Posted by BluesStringer View Post
    Maybe a LEO or two can chime in on this question, but would a CWP holder be doing anything *illegal* by ignoring "Gun Free Zone" signs on private property? I realize that a mall or any kind of business can make a demand that you leave the premises if you were "made," and that if you refused you would then be subject to trespassing prosecution, but really, the act of carrying on private property where such a sign is posted isn't in and of itself illegal, is it?

It all depends on whether or not your state laws give those signs legal "teeth" so to speak. In my state of NH, these signs have no backing under any law in the state so the best a private owner could do is ask me to leave the grounds. I would not be breaking any law by being there while carrying even though the place may be posted.

In some states however, there may be laws giving posted places legal prudence to have you arrested if you do not abide by the posted sign. In states such as those you can be arrested for ignoring the posted signage if you were caught carrying.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    I heard on the news about another "would be" mall shooting a couple days after the one in Omaha.
    Link?

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    I have never heard of anyone going to a police station or military facility (in the U.S.), gun store, gun show, shooting range, etc. intending to do anything like the examples above.
    Teenage shooter killed 2 LEOs as they were exiting their police station in Northern VA year or two ago with a rifle.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; December 8th, 2007 at 01:48 PM. Reason: add info
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by gddyup View Post
    It all depends on whether or not your state laws give those signs legal "teeth" so to speak. In my state of NH, these signs have no backing under any law in the state so the best a private owner could do is ask me to leave the grounds. I would not be breaking any law by being there while carrying even though the place may be posted.

In some states however, there may be laws giving posted places legal prudence to have you arrested if you do not abide by the posted sign. In states such as those you can be arrested for ignoring the posted signage if you were caught carrying.
    That's pretty much how I figured it was. I don't think (?) my state (Alabama) has any such Criminal Protection Acts on the books.

A couple of weeks ago I went into our local Gander Mountain and noticed a sign at the front door saying that all firearms must be checked in at the front counter. Now, GM has a gunsmith shop all the way at the back of the store, so my first thought was that that's what the sign was for, to get a work-order number or something before you went back there. But I don't know to this day if that's the case or not. I did not turn around and lock my weapon in my car and went into the gun dept. and browsed for awhile and asked to handle a couple of guns before heading off to the camping dept. to pick up a couple of things. No one gave me any sideways glances, but what do y'all think? Would your first thought be if you saw a sign like that, that a store catering to gun and hunting enthusiasts would expect CWP holders to disarm before entering?

Blues
    "A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- George Washington

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Write your elected officials, local, state and federal. Write to the mall management. Write to your local media. Get everyone you can to do the same.

Let your elected folks know that you consider the right of self defensive to be of paramount importance and you will keep their position on it in mind at election time. And, by the way, make sure you are registered to vote, and do so.

I work for a state representative. I will be talking with him at length about possible legislative solutions. I will also be addressing this issue with the Speaker of the House and numerous other leaders in the Legislature - both on the majority and minority side of the aisle.

This really is an important issue. It is literally life or death. Let's act like it and get moving.

I couldn't agree with you more. It is interesting that in Israel where every other citizen is armed...nothing negitive is thought when these same armed citizens stop a terrorist attack or a criminal. Excellent post. Thanks for sharing.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Believe it or not, I actually saw that someone suggested that people should carry their own weapons. It was a write in to CNN as they were reporting on the Omaha mall shooting. CNN actually showed it on TV and said something like, "Hmmm, that might be the answer." The anchor was Robin Meade (huba huba).

For them to even allow that to air is a positive inclination that the sheep may be seeing the light.... Naaaaa, not really.

By the way... so I don't loose any "cred" I only watch CNN for Robin
    Last edited by state6three8; December 8th, 2007 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spell check

I believe that I should be allowed to carry wherever I want.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Like I said, someone would probably have examples

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Link?

Teenage shooter killed 2 LEOs as they were exiting their police station in Northern VA year or two ago with a rifle.
    Like I said, someone would come up with examples. Note that I didn’t say that it has never happened. Only that I have never heard of it happening. I give you credit for pointing out this example.

Unfortunately, it seems like there is an endless number of examples of the types of places I originally listed. And too many of them come to mind quickly and easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post

But, I have never heard of anyone going to a police station or military facility (in the U.S.), gun store, gun show, shooting range, etc. intending to do anything like the examples above.
    Thats kind of funny you said that. Some guy here a few years back tried to rob a gun store in the middle of the day while they were open. He is no longer with us.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Semper Fi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links