Wish Me Luck - Page 2

Wish Me Luck

This is a discussion on Wish Me Luck within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The best policy is a closed mouth. Regardless of who it is. There are only a few select people who know I carry....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wish Me Luck

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    The best policy is a closed mouth. Regardless of who it is. There are only a few select people who know I carry.

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    If the written company policy forbids any weapons, you're screwed. If it's just illegal weapons that are banned, like your supervisor said, you should be fine. The only real problem is, do the suits that will be discussing this no the difference between legal and illegal? They may change the policy to disallow any weapons, and if they do, you should stop carrying to keep your job.

Most states are "at-will" employment states, which means your boss can fire you at any time for any reason and there's nothing you can do about it. You should definitely check your state laws on this one. Unless you're fired because of discrimination or whistle-blowing or another federally protected status, there is nothing you can do if fired. Your boss could fire you because he doesn't like the color of your shirt or the football team you like. Most employers won't fire you for frivolous reasons, but they can.

I know this because this year I swore at an ex-boss that vindictively gave be the lowest assessment possible because I moved to a new job. I had a very stressfull job to begin with, and the cube-politics made it worse. For two years before I switched jobs, I was having stress related illnesses, such as stomach pain and headaches. So I switched to a job with a better department. I was suspended with pay and they made me see a therapist to prove I wasn't a threat to anyone. Then they were going to put an "on-notice" document in my personal file. I didn't like these options so I contacted a lawyer. I had no recourse if they fired me. But I had worked over 2000 hours of unpaid overtime over the past 2-3 years, so that was the only option I had if I wanted to sue.

The therapist they sent me to knew I wasn't a threat to anyone and sympathized with me. She sent my company a letter stating I wasn't a threat, but they were literally killing me with the stress. For 6 months, she kept me out of work by filling out short term disability forms while my lawyer was working on my overtime case. My company had to pay me for 6 months while I got to enjoy life. Then by the time my short term disability ran out, my lawyer had reached a settlement, where I was allowed to separate from the company and got paid 2 years salary and I'm allowed to draw unemployment for 6 months. And the day the company cut my check, my ex-manager resigned.

I'm still drawing those unemployment checks, the full amount for NY, they don't run out until mid-February. It will officially be a full year vacation on January 15th. I've had the time and the money to do things I've always wanted to do. Too bad I'll have to go back to work in a month.

But seriously, this weekend read up on your state employment laws. I was lucky that I had so much unpaid OT. If I hadn't, I would have had to go back to work while being "on-notice" and I would have been laid off in March with the guys they laid off then.

Good luck and remember to keep your cool no matter what happens. It won't do you any good otherwise. What happens depends on who's above your boss and how big the company is. If they do let you stay...you're probably going to want to start going with some deeper concealment options. You know everyone is going to be watching closer.

I got "made" where I work I guess going on about 2 years ago now (wow - been there a long time I guess). There was a huge stink about it because ONE person decided to make it a big deal. Practically everyone had a suspicion that I carried (and some knew already anyway -they carried too), but no one really cared. At any rate, they changed the company policy and told me to leave it in my car(option1) or quit(option2). The person that made a mountain out of a mole hill is no longer at our company and I chose option 3. It's pretty clear at this point that everyone suspects I still carry(including management), but I don't think they care as much as I've been there long enough and they know I'm not one of those "going postal" types. It appears they only made the policy change to appease the winer.
    Last edited by packinnova; December 8th, 2007 at 12:46 PM. Reason: my spelling is terrible
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Sounds as if you got involved in a power struggle with someone who through shop gossip knew that you carry and who then used this to hurt you. The lessons are simple:

1. NEVER make it known to ANYONE that you do carry.
    2. Learn to avoid petty power struggles at work.

I do hope this turns out well for you.

+1 with Pro2A I am sorry to hear about this situation - pls keep us posted. The default thinking with many people is that guns are evil and anyone who carries is paranoid and potentially dangerous. Once word gets out, eventually it gets around. People in the office find out so much anyway, just takes a little time. The gossip is pathetic but its in every workplace.
    As was said, keep a cool head knowing you weren't breaking any laws, etc. Maybe turn the spotlight on how shocked/demeaned you were by her tantrum (throwing safety glasses, etc).. after she expected you to drop everything and obey her wishes (and NOT follow protocol). If management wants you to take direction from her then lets be clear about it - someone needs to tell you. But we all knwo that isn't the case. Good luck with this - dont' stress out - it will work out ok in the long run.
    Allen

G27, Beretta 8040, Ruger GP100

PLay it cool and hope to keep your job. If you do, then later I would suggest repaying the Zombie by informing on her temper tantrum, throwing the glasses, and ordering you to do something your weren't authorized to do.

However, while it's unlikely, there is a small chance the Zombie was not responsible. It's possible the "talk" was on the agenda for other reasons. As I said unlikely, but I would feel a little bad getting someone in trouble if they weren't responsible, even a Zombie.

Always a fine line in life. One, I want to protect myself, so I take that on.
    Two, I need the money as I have to live, and their policy states no weapons. I had a rear kisser question me the other day if I was wearing a knife on my belt. Nope, my Leatherman, but, still, those folks exist.
    Me, their policy wins and trumps my desire to do as I wish, so my gun stays in my truck on company grounds.
    Luck, but if I were a betting man...
    I know, I know, you are smarter than me..just ask you..

I wish you the best of luck and hope that logical thought trumps stupidity at your job. The truly sad part is that if this person should have an issue with you, she felt so small that he had to drag other issues into the picture that have no bearing on the situation of getting your work done, which didnt seem to be an issue either.

Good luck....it's such a shame that those of us that are willing AND capable of defending our lives and the lives of others must live in a world of sheep...and play by their ignorant rules...and even let our lives be ruined by their ignorance.

Sheep...when are they ever gonna learn?

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Good luck man.

good luck buddy. i really can't stand sheeple.

VIP Member
    Best of luck. Keep a stiff upper, a closed lower, and an open top IWB that's tuckable.

Safe Regards
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

VIP Member
    jahwarrior72,

I haven't read the other replies just your OP. I COMPLETELY understand your situation! A few months ago I had almost the identical thing happen to me. Hang in there bro, my prayers are with you as I still remember the frustrating floods of thoughts I had to deal with over my situation. This is a growing scenario as more of us carry and employers are forced to come to some kind of terms with the fact that we legally carry.

My company found their solution was to ban not just guns but even a pocket knife if it wasn't a tool issued by the company!

My hope is that you will get no worse than a warning.

Thumper
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

After a hard day at work....

I wish you the best and I hope to see your outcome posted Monday night and not during the day.
    Stand up for what's right..... Even if you stand alone.

Good luck on this, but, in all honesty, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll have your job come Tuesday morning. They want honesty more than anything, and if they were going to fire you, you'd already be off property. That's my take on this.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links