Wish Me Luck - Page 4

Wish Me Luck

This is a discussion on Wish Me Luck within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; well, it's 7 pm, and i just got home from work. the big meeting took place during my lunch break (of course). present for said ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Wish Me Luck

well, it's 7 pm, and i just got home from work. the big meeting took place during my lunch break (of course). present for said meeting were as follows:

1. my sympathetic production supervisor (codename: Q)
    2. the compnay "safety" officer (read: retired LEO) codename: kramden
    3. unsympathetic plant manager (codename: Red)
    4. original complaintant (codename: Martha)
    5. myself

after the required toothy smiles and handshakes, we sat down to discuss the problem

red: "so, i understand you're bringing loaded guns to work?"

me: "uh, no, just the one." blank stare from red. kramden smirks behind him, while martha squirms uncomfortably. "ok, first of all, alex, i need you to know that bringing guns to work is unacceptable behavior. now, i understand from your file you have a permit to carry (i needed 2 picture IDs, and that was my only one besides my driver's), but it doesn't give you the right, or permission, to bring something so dangerous into such a safe environment. what reason could you possibly have for doing something so stupid?"

kramden: "when'd you getcher permit?" he then went off on a tangent about the sheriff, an old buddy of his. everyone listening patiently, until martha cut in with: "you know, this whole situation makes me very uncomfortable. the fact that you think you need a gun speaks volumes about your character."

me: "in what way? that i'm embracing local traditions? or that i feel responsible for the safety for my own safety? you better explain that statement, lady."

martha: " i think you know what i mean." it was the last time she spoke to me directly.

me: "look, like i told Q last week, i live in Hillside Apts. it's bad enough during the day, but at the wee hours of AM, and at night, it's pretty rough."

kramden: "you live in Hillside? what the heck made you do that?"

red: "well, couldn't you just move?"

me: "uh, i have 4 kids, 2 with special needs, and you don't pay alot. not everyone can afford a crib in Clark's Green," where red and martha happen to live.

kramden: "well, heck, if i lived in Hillside, i'd carry a shotgun while walking my dobie!"

Q: "yeah, hillside's not a great neighborhood. he has to take the bus. 6AM, right?" i nodded yes.

martha: "well, couldn't he just take a cab, or buy a car?"

we all looked at her, with curiousity and slight amusement.

kramden: "honestly, red, the guy's got his permit, he's probably been carrying since he started here in april, and it's never been an issue before. why should it be now? because martha's got her thumb up her tailpipe about it? give him a break. he ain't some gangbanger or something."

martha: "up my WHAT-"

red: "i'm not saying he's not a good guy, it's just that company policy states..."

Q: "policy says no ILLEGAL weapons. he's carrying legally. so i don't see a problem either, honestly. i don't like the idea of a guy with a gun walking around the plant, but at least he's going about it the right way."

red: "huh?"

Q: "we trust him to sign for deliveries, to take our vehicles and product out of state, and with our money. we trust him with security codes. i don't think he's a security risk."

red: "...."

martha: "i've heard enough. this is just one more jab at mah authoritah, Q, and i won't sit here and be MADE A FOOL OF!!!!!" she stormed out.

me: "sooooo, what's my status, should i get my stuff and go, or finish unloading USF holland?"

Q, smiling: "get back to work, smartaleck."

red: "uh, yeah, go on. we're gonna have to rethink (read: revise) our policy a bit."

i returned to the floor, relieved. the guys all waited, and let out a sigh of relief when they saw my thumbs up.

them: "you know they're gonna change the rules to 'no guns in the building', period, right?"

me: "probably, but then, we'll just leave them in your car." our vompany is not liable for anything that happens in the parking lot; therefore, cannot ban firearms in cars.

when it comes down to it, i was just a pawn in an administrative power struggle between martha and Q. it seems Q won this round.

sorry this was so long, there was actually a LOT more said. i really appreciate everyone's support on this; i was honestly scared this morning.

time to buy a smartcarry.

congrats on the temporary outcome.
    Michigan Gun Owner
    Michigan CPL Holder
    Proud Member of The NRA

Congrats - hopefully the admins drop it there and "forget" about the policy. I have checked back several times to find the update.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Congrats, Glad it all worked out OK for you.
    Psalm 121
    Smith & Wesson M&P 9mmC
    Ruger P95
    3/504 PIR, 82nd Airborne (ETS - 1987)

Fantastic! Score one for the Good Guys, although temporary it may be.

Quote Originally Posted by TimM View Post
    Fantastic! Score one for the Good Guys, although temporary it may be.
    That's what I was thinking. It's a great win for the time being, but the status can and/or will change depending on the outcome of said power struggle. Sounds like you did a good job of keeping a level head unlike the original complainant. Having the retired LEO on your side helps though too.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Good job. Be cool. Be safe.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

eww
    Glad it all worked out for ya. A .380 in a Smartcarry works real well. Keep in mind you now have an enemy upstairs and she will be looking for any chance to get you canned.

Next time you see Martha, don't forget to give her a big smile and be sure to tell her to have a nice day!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Glad is worked out okay for you.

I'm glad it worked out for you. I'm wondering if the NRA would have represented you in legal action had you been unfairly terminated...
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

ROCK ON!! Smartcarry indeed....and KelTec for those days when you can't use the smartcarry...Congrats.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jahwarrior72 View Post
    Them: "You know they're gonna change the rules to 'no guns in the building', period, right?"

Me: "Probably, but then, we'll just leave them in your car." Our company is not liable for anything that happens in the parking lot; therefore, cannot ban firearms in cars....
    Fascinating concept - wonder how that will play where I work? Sign says "No weapons on Company property"; another sign says the entire parking lot is Company property. Not sure if they said they weren't liable. I'll check... thanks for the idea!

And thrilled for you at the outcome. Be looking for work elsewhere, though, or in Q's department.

The other twist is that you would not be leaving anything in YOUR car... you don't have one! "Oh, you mean I can't leave something in someone ELSE'S car either? Gosh, I'm sorry!"

And you and your family will be in my prayers. I respect the efforts you're going to in order to provide for them.
    Last edited by Paymeister; December 11th, 2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: corrected sign quote

VIP Member
    Whew!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member
    If Martha is "storming" out, can not they see she is the one they need to watch, If things start to go south for you, I might suggest that she is creating a hostile work environment?

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links