Defensive Carry banner

Wish Me Luck

6K views 79 replies 58 participants last post by  Ben Hennessy 
#1 ·
i got made at work today. as i've said in other posts in the past, i work in a warehouse, where most of the guys i work with also carry, or are at least sympathetic to carrying. most of the cubicle zombies, i'm told, are not so sympathetic. as such, i was warned not to mention that i carry a gun, own a gun, or talk about guns in their presence, unless it was in reference to hunting. i've followed my boss's advice, and steered clear of any uncomfortable situations.

today, one of the cube zombies came downstairs into the warehouse to ask about an order. before she began, i reminded her about her safety glasses; she complied, but was irritated. she was concerned about an order getting shipped, and was intent on getting it done. i told her that i never received the order she mentioned. she then requested, rudely, that i pack the order anyway, and that she'd clear it with my foreman. i replied that i can only pack jobs that i had slips for, and that neither my foreman, production supervisor, or plant manager had given me any such slip, nor was i given a verbal request for any. if i did pack the order, i would be the one responsible for it in case it was done incorrectly, or was lost in shipping, or if anything else went wrong. as such, i couldn't do it. she gave me an evil once over, and yelled "FINE!" before stomping off, and throwing her glasses across the plant floor.

2 hours later, the plant manager called me into his office. he's very easygoing, fair, and likes his employees. he first asked how the shift was going, how much we got done, and how many more jobs did i think would be done by 6pm. we chatted for a bit more, then he asked me to sit. he closed the door, then asked me if he could ask me a question. i said "sure". he asked me if everything was alright with me, if i was okay, and about me in general, which was a little confusing. i told him everything was great, actually. i thought maybe the cube zombie had complained about my "attitude," which she's known for. he then, very hesitantly, asked me "umm, are you.....carrying.....a gun?"

oh, crap.

i admitted that i was. i saw no point in lying to him. he's never lied to me about anything, and i felt uncomfortable lying to him. he asked me why i felt it was necessary to do so. i explained that i live in a rough part of town, and i wait for the bus at 6am, then transfer downtown for another bus at 6:35. my job is located in the warehouse/meth head district. at that time of day, the only people on the street are people on their way to work, and those up to no good. i went on to say that i don't make it a habit of showing off my gun, nor do i talk about it. he sat quietly for a moment, then said that our company policy forbids carrying of illegal weapons or contraband on the property. i then mentioned that i do have a permit, so technically, i wasn't carrying illegally. he looked rather surprised, and then asked me "well, how long have you been bringing a gun to work, then? i won't mention it to the owner, i just would like to know." i only said "for awhile, now." he then said that someone saw the gun, and became very upset and anxious about it (i can only guess who), especially with what just happened in omaha, yadda yadda yadda.

i asked him plainly what was going to happen to me as a result. he said that if were him that saw it, he would have had the same talk with me, just to clarify things, and left it at that. "unfortunately, you know that she went and also informed so-and-so after telling me. i got a call, and we're having a meeting about the situation on monday morning. you're status is unchanged until then, but i can't say much more than that." i told him i understood, which i do, really. i went back down to the floor. my foreman asked me what was wrong; i told him the cube zombie made me. his face dropped, which isn't reassuring. "well, how are you carrying?" i showed him, i was carrying IWB, with an extra long and thick flannel shirt over it. i wasn't printing, so i the only thing i can think of is that she must have seen it on another occasion, and decided to be spiteful, in retaliation for not doing what she wanted, when she wanted.

i wonder how she owuld have reacted if she knew i was also pocket carrying a .380?

i might be out of a job come monday, right in time for x-mas. wish me luck, guys, in keeping my job, or finding a new one fast.

See less See more
#30 ·
Good luck on this, but, in all honesty, I wouldn't worry about it. You'll have your job come Tuesday morning. They want honesty more than anything, and if they were going to fire you, you'd already be off property. That's my take on this.

#31 ·
I am curious as to why you first seem to have known your company had a policy at all was during this meeting with your boss? Shouldn't you have received a copy of all company policies so you can refer to then now to see what the wording actually was when you were first employed? Can you ask for a copy now? And certainly, I would expect, that if your company never made you aware of the policy then it's not enforcible this time around. And remember, they would have to PROVE you knew the policy was in place. Most company's will do this during your first day training and ask you to read it and sign something that says you read it. And then, often, they yearly put them back out and ask you to read and sign them again. If they left any of these things uncovered then they are going to have to review how they do these sorts of things and fix it. And policy is only enforcible if they can prove you knew them.

Good luck... but do some of your own investigation to protect yourself. Ask for the policy. And ask to see your files so you can see if you ever signed anything pertaining to that policy.

#33 ·
jahwarrior72,

Best of luck to you. You did not mention, so I presume, yours is not a Union Shop. If there is a union, talk to the shop steward quick.

It sounds to me like you are in the clear as far as company policy is concerned. It may be wise if you left your "alternative cutting tool" home on Monday and use whatever is deemed appropriate on the job that day. Don't give'm any excuse for canning you.

As for the temper tantrum, unless there where witneses, keep it to yourself. Without proof, it is your word against hers. Trust me, us male management types invariably take the side of the "poor defenseless woman", no matter how much of a b*tch she is. Unless your company's management is full of complete and utter dummies, you should be fine.
:tumbleweed:

#36 ·
i replied that i can only pack jobs that i had slips for, and that neither my foreman, production supervisor, or plant manager had given me any such slip, nor was i given a verbal request for any. if i did pack the order, i would be the one responsible for it in case it was done incorrectly, or was lost in shipping, or if anything else went wrong. as such, i couldn't do it. she gave me an evil once over, and yelled "FINE!" before stomping off, and throwing her glasses across the plant floor.
i wonder what the company policy is regarding haveing the slip to do the job, not wearing safty glasses in the warehouse, and throwing said unwor safty glasses across said warehouse? and see if someone else saw ya. after all tis kindness to share ones christmas gifts with those deserving of such.

#37 ·
:mad: I don't want any harm to come to anybody, but it would almost be poetic if she were held up in the parking lot. Even more so if you were to come to her rescue. Now, coming back to reality, I hope everything works out for you at work tomorrow.

#38 ·
Best of luck. I hope that nothing further is said. However, if you are fired, I would get a written copy of your company's policy manual. If it indeed says that carrying illegal weapons are prohibited, then I would suggest that you speak with an employment attorney. You may get to retire early!

#46 ·
well, it's 7 pm, and i just got home from work. the big meeting took place during my lunch break (of course). present for said meeting were as follows:

1. my sympathetic production supervisor (codename: Q)
2. the compnay "safety" officer (read: retired LEO) codename: kramden
3. unsympathetic plant manager (codename: Red)
4. original complaintant (codename: Martha)
5. myself

after the required toothy smiles and handshakes, we sat down to discuss the problem

red: "so, i understand you're bringing loaded guns to work?"

me: "uh, no, just the one." blank stare from red. kramden smirks behind him, while martha squirms uncomfortably. "ok, first of all, alex, i need you to know that bringing guns to work is unacceptable behavior. now, i understand from your file you have a permit to carry (i needed 2 picture IDs, and that was my only one besides my driver's), but it doesn't give you the right, or permission, to bring something so dangerous into such a safe environment. what reason could you possibly have for doing something so stupid?"

kramden: "when'd you getcher permit?" he then went off on a tangent about the sheriff, an old buddy of his. everyone listening patiently, until martha cut in with: "you know, this whole situation makes me very uncomfortable. the fact that you think you need a gun speaks volumes about your character."

me: "in what way? that i'm embracing local traditions? or that i feel responsible for the safety for my own safety? you better explain that statement, lady."

martha: " i think you know what i mean." it was the last time she spoke to me directly.

me: "look, like i told Q last week, i live in Hillside Apts. it's bad enough during the day, but at the wee hours of AM, and at night, it's pretty rough."

kramden: "you live in Hillside? what the heck made you do that?"

red: "well, couldn't you just move?"

me: "uh, i have 4 kids, 2 with special needs, and you don't pay alot. not everyone can afford a crib in Clark's Green," where red and martha happen to live.

kramden: "well, heck, if i lived in Hillside, i'd carry a shotgun while walking my dobie!"

Q: "yeah, hillside's not a great neighborhood. he has to take the bus. 6AM, right?" i nodded yes.

martha: "well, couldn't he just take a cab, or buy a car?"

we all looked at her, with curiousity and slight amusement.

kramden: "honestly, red, the guy's got his permit, he's probably been carrying since he started here in april, and it's never been an issue before. why should it be now? because martha's got her thumb up her tailpipe about it? give him a break. he ain't some gangbanger or something."

martha: "up my WHAT-"

red: "i'm not saying he's not a good guy, it's just that company policy states..."

Q: "policy says no ILLEGAL weapons. he's carrying legally. so i don't see a problem either, honestly. i don't like the idea of a guy with a gun walking around the plant, but at least he's going about it the right way."

red: "huh?"

Q: "we trust him to sign for deliveries, to take our vehicles and product out of state, and with our money. we trust him with security codes. i don't think he's a security risk."

red: "...."

martha: "i've heard enough. this is just one more jab at mah authoritah, Q, and i won't sit here and be MADE A FOOL OF!!!!!" she stormed out.

me: "sooooo, what's my status, should i get my stuff and go, or finish unloading USF holland?"

Q, smiling: "get back to work, smartaleck."

red: "uh, yeah, go on. we're gonna have to rethink (read: revise) our policy a bit."

i returned to the floor, relieved. the guys all waited, and let out a sigh of relief when they saw my thumbs up.

them: "you know they're gonna change the rules to 'no guns in the building', period, right?"

me: "probably, but then, we'll just leave them in your car." our vompany is not liable for anything that happens in the parking lot; therefore, cannot ban firearms in cars.

when it comes down to it, i was just a pawn in an administrative power struggle between martha and Q. it seems Q won this round.

sorry this was so long, there was actually a LOT more said. i really appreciate everyone's support on this; i was honestly scared this morning.

time to buy a smartcarry.

#58 · (Edited)
Them: "You know they're gonna change the rules to 'no guns in the building', period, right?"

Me: "Probably, but then, we'll just leave them in your car." Our company is not liable for anything that happens in the parking lot; therefore, cannot ban firearms in cars....
Fascinating concept - wonder how that will play where I work? Sign says "No weapons on Company property"; another sign says the entire parking lot is Company property. Not sure if they said they weren't liable. I'll check... thanks for the idea!

And thrilled for you at the outcome. Be looking for work elsewhere, though, or in Q's department.

The other twist is that you would not be leaving anything in YOUR car... you don't have one! "Oh, you mean I can't leave something in someone ELSE'S car either? Gosh, I'm sorry!"

And you and your family will be in my prayers. I respect the efforts you're going to in order to provide for them.

#51 ·
That's what I was thinking. It's a great win for the time being, but the status can and/or will change depending on the outcome of said power struggle.:blink: Sounds like you did a good job of keeping a level head unlike the original complainant. Having the retired LEO on your side helps though too.:yup:

#61 ·
Don't know about your state, but in Ohio an employer may prevent you from "bearing arms" on his property but incurs some responsibility to protect you if he does. The following is taken from the Ohioans for Concealed Carry website. There was no specific link to the law, but the Ohio Constitution states that "the people have a right to bear arms for their defense and security;"

Ohioans for Concealed Carry said:
In giving a "no-guns" notification to customers or employees, a business may incur an extraordinary liability should customers or employees be attacked while at the business or in the business' parking lot, since the management has specifically preempted the individual's right of self-protection.

Further, businesses may incur an extraordinary duty of care and responsibility to protect customers and employees while they are on the business property. But even an attempt to provide extra protection does not negate the extraordinary liability incurred by usurping the personal rights of its customers or employees.

Generally, when businesses consult their attorneys and their insurance companies concerning the extraordinary liability and the extraordinary duty to provide more extensive safety and protection for customers, the signs immediately come down.
Maybe Q would discuss the possibilities with Red? :buttkick: -Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.