I better start practicing weak side

This is a discussion on I better start practicing weak side within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Looking more and more like I'm going to have rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder. Gonna have to find an alternate way to carry, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I better start practicing weak side

I better start practicing weak side

Looking more and more like I'm going to have rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder.
    Gonna have to find an alternate way to carry, don't have any left-hand holsters and really don't want to spend the $$ on a premium one.
    Racking the slide may be a problem too, probably switch from the Mil-Pro to the SP101
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Looks like carrying a revolver is in your future. Good luck with the surgery and hey, atleast you'll be good at "weak side shooting".

Good luck! How long will you be laid up?

Yeah, definitely go with a wheel gun. A cheap pocket holster should suffice.

When you get all healed up, just think you will be ambidextrous.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous!

When I had my surgery it was about a week before I could use my right arm and in about two weeks it was better than before. Just stay out of the honky-tonks for a couple of weeks and you should be fine. My biggest problem was wiping my butt with my left hand, thought once or twice I was going to have to shower afterwards.

Unless your situation is much different I wouldn't worry about it. Hope everything goes fine.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    I'm looking at the possibility of the same situation, except it will be my left shoulder (weak side). However, racking the slide on my XD45 will be an issue for a little while.

I think I'm going to start practicing.

Sisco,

Keep an eye out on the used market. I have picked up a couple of left-handed Alessis for a not a lot of money just in case my dominant hand is unusable. I don't know if you frequent any other boards, but more boards increases your chances of finding a deal.

Another thought--You might even ask if anybody's got a spare holster in the "box o' holsters that they would loan or sell to you.

Hope this helps,
    Herk

That's the reason I carry and practice with my BUG in the left front pocket. You just never know when you might mess something up.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    Looking more and more like I'm going to have rotator cuff surgery on my right shoulder.
    Gonna have to find an alternate way to carry, don't have any left-hand holsters and really don't want to spend the $$ on a premium one.
    Racking the slide may be a problem too, probably switch from the Mil-Pro to the SP101
    sisco,

I've had that surgery, wish you all the best! There's no gentle way to break this to you, shooting with your left hand isn't going to be your biggest challenge... I won't be too graphic here but you had better practice something else left handed too!

I carried in my sling! (Oh, by the way, you WILL have a sling!)
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I'm having my rotator cuff surgery this Monday. Went to the range again today to practice with my weak hand. I have narrowed my carry gun down to one of our 38 revolvers. DH helped me a lot with shooting with my weak hand. Like Thumper said, the sling will be my constant companion so I might as well make use of it.
    I also picked up a pocket holster and a bellyband. Now since others have mentioned the bathroom business....I better go practice!

VIP Member
    Heal up fast, hey.

HKR
    Good luck with the surgery. I think losing the use of the primary "strong" side hand is something not enough people prepare for.

Darn good excuse to get a nice light 5-shot snubby!
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

shoulder sergeries can vary on healing time depending on what they do. some can leave you out of commission for several months and others just weeks. i wish everyone the best of luck with all of your sergeries, and i hope they get in there and don't have to do anything too serious.

russell

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Let me add one other bit of advise. Work hard on your physical therapy afterwords. That can make or break a good recovery from shoulder surgery. Good luck
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Mike 1 Has It Right

Get some good rehab and work hard on it!

For me, surgery was a snap. But it took several months of rehab to get back to nearly 100%

A J Frame snub (preferably with hammer bobbed) is a great companion to have in left front pocket during recovery.

I fully agree with the above posters re the bathroom thing. Plus trying to tie your shoes one handed and a host of others.

...Skye...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links