Why I Decided to Carry a Firearm

This is a discussion on Why I Decided to Carry a Firearm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have seen this question asked before. This person has the best answer I have ever seen and speaks for why I do. I would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I Decided to Carry a Firearm

I have seen this question asked before. This person has the best answer I have ever seen and speaks for why I do. I would like to share it.

Friday, March 23, 2007
    why the gun is civilization.
    Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force. Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion. Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force. You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force. The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gangbanger, and a single gay guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations. These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a mugger to do his job. That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat--it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed. People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury. This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser. People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst. The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weightlifter. It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn't both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don't do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation...and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

http://munchkinwrangler.blogspot.com...ilization.html

As a disabled older woman, I don't carry to be "macho" or to "show off" as no one knows I AM carrying. It does make a heavier load for me to huck around, BUT it gives me the freedom to know I at least have a chance to defend myself. I guess it is less a choice or right as much as a neccessaity for my ability to feel safe both in my home and out in public. I hate to think what my life would be without it...maybe never leaving my home and being afraid of every little sound when at home.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Good post. Thank you.

I agree. Very very well put.

Very well put.

I only wish everyone thought that way. I guess that would be Utopia and we wouldn't need guns. WOW... somebody stop me, I'm sounding like a .

Nice post.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    I would only add that the gun itself does little to change the odds unless the person with the gun a) has the training and ability to use it well and b) is actually willing to take another life. Shooting someone "in the leg" doesn't work in the real world.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

good post thanks

I'd seen this before..isn't this posted elsewhere here on the bbs? It is good tho!

Good post. That would make a good form letter to your local senator/congressman.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I would only add that the gun itself does little to change the odds unless the person with the gun a) has the training and ability to use it well and b) is actually willing to take another life. Shooting someone "in the leg" doesn't work in the real world.
    I agree. My education with firearms began in my childhood. I have done extensive study and training for almost two decades now on the subject.
    The major part of the responsibility of being a armed citizen is realizing that if it is needed...to protect my life or the life of another...the threat would have to be stopped and that means taking a life. I have seen more lifes taken with firearms than I can count. I know what it means and accept that responsibility and don't take it lightly. If someone threatens my life or the life of another innocent...they have forfit the right to their life. I hope it never happens, but I am prepared for it if it does.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

At the core, I think this is why we all carry.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    I have seen that somewhere before...very good post...thanks
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

+1

Thanks for the post!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    If someone threatens my life or the life of another innocent...they have forfit the right to their life. I hope it never happens, but I am prepared for it if it does.
    Exactly. Now if we can only convey that message to those who would try to prey on the ones they view as weak.....
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Senior Member Array The Old Anglo's Avatar

Thumbs up Kudo`s !!!.

My Thanks to you for a really Great post. It`s why most of us carry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links