Potential black eye to CC holders

This is a discussion on Potential black eye to CC holders within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I caught this on Americas Most Wanted http://www.amw.com/fugitives/brief.cfm?id=29538 The narrator stated that prior to this guy murdering the Armored car carrier in Phoenix he got ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Potential black eye to CC holders

I caught this on Americas Most Wanted

http://www.amw.com/fugitives/brief.cfm?id=29538

The narrator stated that prior to this guy murdering the Armored car carrier in Phoenix he got a CCW permit in Utah. They did not mention this part on TV

According to records, Brown completed the class in early November, but had not yet received his actual permit.

I hope the antis don't grab this one like a dog with a bone.

yea -- just caught that too. i'm not sure what the fact that he applied for a CWP had anything to do with him shooting the armored truck driver but they mentioned it as though it did. :(

VIP Member
    Apparently he planned the robbery/murder well in advance. Got the permit so he could get the weapon.

According to the story, the instructor/range officer was concerned about this guy. I don't know if the instructor had the option available to Texas instructors to quietly let DPS know they don't think this person should get the license.

Worse, the guy went out into the AZ desert to target practice for the robbery, and accidentally shot the car of a family that was nearby. The car owner did not call the police. The perp. politely gave the car owner bogus ID/insurance info. etc., and the car owner left the scene thinking he'd get paid for the damage to his car.

The perp. is now on the 10 most wanted list; and deservedly so. He appears to be a sociopath. G-d help whoever crosses his path.

would not worry to much about it hurting ccw. more people every day are being exposed to how good it is. It's all grass roots. Can you hear it... the liberal based, politicaly corrupt mass media are running scared. THIS THING WE CALL THE INTERNET, and forums like this are helping WE THE PEOPLE hear the truth. There will always be bad apples and yes, we'll get stung, but as long as we continue our grass roots efforts we will continue to grow.

Did he actually ever GET a permit? Or did he just apply for one? Anyone can apply... Means nothing. Some get turned down. Here is to hoping his does not show up in the mail any time now...

Besides, he looks like that communist anti-American creep Sean Penn.

The shooting happened in Nov 2004. His application was also in Nov of 04. TV said he applied for the permit - implied that he had it, the website stated that he had not received it.

I was watching that tonight, also. When they mentioned the 'permit'...I said, "Damm!" My wife said, "What's wrong?"
    I had to expain to her the potential for bad press on that news...she had never thought of that...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Just watching the show now (West Coast) and all that was said was "Brown applied for a concealed weapons permit but a few days later left town".

No biggie!

The show portrayed Brown as a 14k gold plated ass, which is a compliment to what he actually is. I don't think many will make any association to CCW'ers.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

VIP Member
    I caught that too. Must be a popular show for us on here.
    I kinda flinched when he said he applied for his permit too. There are going to be a few bad apples in every situation.

VIP Member
    I refuse to watch anything that will allow a person that turned the death of his son into a fortune profit from me. Now I have another reason to avoid the show.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I was watching that tonight, also. When they mentioned the 'permit'...I said, "Damm!" My wife said, "What's wrong?"
    I had to expain to her the potential for bad press on that news...she had never thought of that...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    Down here in Palm Beach county, there was a very articulate, intelligent letter writer whose material occasionally (and fairly regularly) appeared on the letters page of The Palm Beach Post. His stuff was so good that I used to clip it and save it in a folder (with other gun-rights-related articles).

A few years ago, I noticed his name in an article in the paper.
    Despondent over some sort of family/money issues (possibly health, but I don't know), Mr. Settembre shot and killed his wife, their dog, and himself.

You want to talk about potential for bad press regarding CCW and gun ownership??

Here's the strange thing: it never gets mentioned in the debate about CCW here. No one even really connects it. And what's more, I just googled his name, and put it into the search window at The Palm Beach Post's website, and found no obvious links to articles about his demise/crime.

I was very saddened to read about it. I had begun to think of him as some sort of un-met friend, and then he went and did... that.

So anyway, I guess it means that maybe these things flash past the consciousness of the public so quickly that they really don't end up weighing much.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four View Post
    I refuse to watch anything that will allow a person that turned the death of his son into a fortune profit from me. Now I have another reason to avoid the show.
    Talk about coincidence, me and my wife were watching it last night, and I told her everytime I watched the show, I would think about what happened to his son. I am from Florida, and at the time it happened, everyone seemed to be looking for him, it effected a lot of people.

But I look at him a little differently that you do. I couldn't imagine going through what he went through, as most of us couldn't. But afterwards he was so upset that he said his life's goal was to try and stop this from happening to anyone else. Doing something this positive, after such a tragedy is something most people can't do. I think it's a tribute to him and his family that he was able to find something good out of what happened.

On a more personal note, it's taken me 10 years to find anything good that could come from my first wife dying. But now I can see the good it did. I have become a better person, and I wouldn't have met my current wife if it didn't happen. There is actually a lot more, but I don't want to open up this would too much.

I am just saying, give the guy a break. His son died horribly, and now he is trying to help others, and just happens to make a living from it too. Mabye you think it's wrong because his is also earning money from what he's doing, but he has done more to help others than most others ever will, and from what I read years ago, most of his money goes to charities, and funding searches for other lost kids, etc...
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    So anyway, I guess it means that maybe these things flash past the consciousness of the public so quickly that they really don't end up weighing much.
    It's not the sheep that are the problem for us, it is the Sheppards (Politicians, News Media, Activists...)

One of us can go forth and show 1, 5, or 20 people the reality, one news anchor with a hard on for anti gun can cloud the thoughts of millions in 3 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I don't know if the instructor had the option available to Texas instructors to quietly let DPS know they don't think this person should get the license.
    ???

Texas licenses are not granted on opinion. If you score enough on the test and do not meet one of the disqualifying criteria, you get one.

Or are you saying that they have a method submit evidence of the applicant meeting one or more of the disqualification criteria?

I think John Walsh has done a great deal to help law enforement in this country. He took his grief and turned it into helping others. So he makes a living at it? Who cares? Doing that gives him the ability to spend full time his efforts to protect Americans. Is this resentment just being jealous? I have heard this critisim before and go away thinking less of the critic than of John Walsh.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links