Would you allow CCW on your property?

This is a discussion on Would you allow CCW on your property? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In one thread it was stated that CCW on private property is not a crime (just trespassing). The question posed here deals with your property, ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you allow CCW on your property?

Would you allow CCW on your property?

In one thread it was stated that CCW on private property is not a crime (just trespassing). The question posed here deals with your property, not the local mall or other public gathering places.
    Would you have a problem with someone coming onto your private property with a CCW?

(Moderator - if this post causes more heat than light please delete post-haste)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Wow,

Tough question. One part of me wants to say that with my permission I am ok with it. Another part of me is of the mind that I don't plan on telling someone that I am carrying if I visit their home, so why should I expect anything different at my house?

I am not sure how to answer this.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Of course I would allow it. I believe no innocent person should ever be forced to disarm.

I'd be OK with it, if I had any property. You can come into my apartment with a gun if you want to though. Just keep in mind that I'll have one too...

Also, the legality of carrying on private property where the owner doesn't allow it depends on your state's laws. Here in Virginia, my concealed carry permit is no good on any private property that's posted as not allowing guns. You could then be facing more than trespassing charges.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I'd have no problem with it, if someone acts like one of Limatunes' customers then they have to go. My place they don't have a right to be there .
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

well, like the germans say "Es kommt darauf an!", it depends really on who it is. If it were my friends and I was throwing a cookout, oh yeah! I'd actually like everyone to CCW, why not!?
    But if a stranger comes around or someone I really have bad blood with, no way Jose!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

I own 10 acres in Northern MI that is private on 3 sides and state land across the street. I can honestly say that I would have no problem with someone legally carrying concealed on my property. This property was my Dad's and he only owned it for about 2 years before he passed away in 2000. This property sat untouched for about 2 years before I made my way up there to check on the land. Since the last time I had been there with my Dad, someone had put a modular home on the property next door. I was slightly dissapointed to see this figuring this neighbor probably won't like the sound of my 30-06 come deer season. I parked my truck and was open carrying since this was before I had my cpl. As I was getting ready to walk onto my land, the neighbor was pulling out of his driveway and stopped next to me and asked me if he could help me. Here we are on a lonely road, I am clearly armed and he is with his young daughter who is in the back seat. I politely told him my status to which he told me that he has lived there for a year and a half. I told him that I was up there to find and varify the back 2 land markers so that I could put down more visible flags. This guy calls his wife from his cell and tells her "Get some clothes on, the neighbor needs you to show him the back markers of his land." I couldn't believe it. This poor lady came outside in brand new tennis shoes and tromped through the mud for a stranger carrying a gun. I have since formed a nice relationship with them and they watch after the property when I am not there. BTW, my "up-north" neighbors both ccw. Maybe this is why they weren't too worried about me. Who knows, the wife could have been glassing me from the dining room with her 30-06 on our initial meeting.

VIP Member
    I not only allow it, but will issue guns and gear to those who didn't bring their own, should they wish to be armed. Although I'm not handing the building maintenance guy a handgun. The issuing is for people I know. If the maintenance man has his own that is fine though.

Quote Originally Posted by philbert2.71828 View Post
    ...Here in Virginia, my concealed carry permit is no good on any private property that's posted as not allowing guns. You could then be facing more than trespassing charges.
    In VA they (owner or designated agent of the owner) have to ask you to leave the property first. Only if you refuse can the police charge you with trespassing. The charge for trespassing with a gun is higher than without, but still a misdemeanor IIRC. Unless you mean you may have to pull your gun on a property owner.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    In VA they (owner or designated agent of the owner) have to ask you to leave the property first. Only if you refuse can the police charge you with trespassing. The charge for trespassing with a gun is higher than without, but still a misdemeanor IIRC. Unless you mean you may have to pull your gun on a property owner.
    I was thinking of the VA state police website that says it's unlawful to carry on private property if prohibited by the owner. The law they cite is this:

The granting of a concealed handgun permit shall not thereby authorize the possession of any handgun ... in places where such possession is ... prohibited by the owner of private property.
    But looking at that law, it does sound like it might just be trespassing. In any case, I'll just leave if I'm asked to leave, and avoid places where I'm not welcome with a gun.

No problem if I know you. If I don't and you act like an idiot then like most idiots I'll tell you to leave, now.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

if my buddies come over and they're NOT armed I call them nasty names.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Administrator
    Not meaning to stir up the pot here but, everybody seems to be saying "NO PROBLEM....if I Know you.

So why would folks come down so hard on a business when walking into that business (which is private property) with an open carried firearm where the owner and the people working there do not know you at all? Just curious.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Not meaning to stir up the pot here but, everybody seems to be saying "NO PROBLEM....if I Know you.

So why would folks come down so hard on a business when walking into that business (which is private property) with an open carried firearm where the owner and the people working there do not know you at all? Just curious.
    because we're snobs.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

open carried in a place of business? no way man! Concealed is the topic and my friends and family are always welcome to do so on my property
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Sure

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links