I was thinking today

This is a discussion on I was thinking today within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was out this morning and someone pulled out to turn in front of me at a light. I had the green and had to ...

Thread: I was thinking today

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

I was thinking today

I was out this morning and someone pulled out to turn in front of me at a light. I had the green and had to slam on my breaks, my tires squeeled which put me into a skid. Luckily I did not hit him because he heard me lay on my horn and stopped. Naturally I was carrying. Now lets say I did hit him, ambulance showed up, I was unconscious, injured and required transport to the hospital. What would happen to my gun when the paramedics found it? Would they give it to the LEO's on the scene? Call family members to come get it? leave it in the car? Bring it with them? How would I get it back?

Any LEO's ever have a situation like this?

I did a search for this and didnt find anything, I remember remotely someone mentioning it once.

2. Remove Ads

I would've either

A: Given it to an LE onscene secure it.
    B: Given it to hospital security to secure it (if we left the scene with your carcass before LE showed up).

Of course, neither Ambulance company that I've worked for provided a bit of training on the matter, but most likely, you would be able to get it back if you're packing legally.

Edit to add: There were some strong antis I worked with, but more than that there were those completely untrained with and therefore, afraid of guns. It is conceivable that once finding it, a small percentage of EMS folks would be afraid to continue doing their job. Afraid that somehow, taking you vitals or undressing you to doa proper asssessment or treatment might set it off. Once LE showed up and secured it, treatment could continue.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Leo would take possesion

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    Leo would take possesion
    Exactly.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Well what guarantee would I have that it won't go missing? How would I find it and reclaim it afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Well what guarantee would I have that it won't go missing? How would I find it and reclaim it afterwards?
    Accident report, name of officer and agency.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

VIP Member
    A few years ago I had a roll over accident while armed and was rendered unconscious. I ended up in the hospital for a few days. I later found out that the paramedics discovered my weapon when they picked me up. They secured it and turned it over to Hospital security at the emergency room. When I checked out, I was told to stop by the security office where I signed a form that I received my weapon back. It was in a zip lock bag unloaded and packaged with my holster.

Seriously, through the whole ordeal my gun was the last thing on my mind!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Every Trip sheet I write for my ambulance calls has a box that must be filled out. This box is for patients belongings, I have to put what they had, and what was done with it. If it just their attire It is simply written "belongings on patient", if it was a gun it would be documented Make, Model, Caliber, Serial number, number of rounds, number of Mags. Then it would be documented who it was turned over to, Officers name and Agency. We document EVERYTHING, we have to as a CYA. If your gun is then found used for a shooting it is not my butt on the line for it.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

"A few years ago I had a roll over accident while armed and was rendered unconscious." --glad you came-through.

VIP Member
    Honestly, there is no promise you're going to get it back. If it is that big of a concern, put a big sign on your car saying you don't want medical treatment if injured. Personally, I'll take the risk. Who knows, the gun could have been separated from you during the accident and ended up outside the vehicle. Things happen. But, if you're there to worry about where your gun is, you're actually doing pretty darn well.

Like DR Middlebrooks says, shoot fast- drive slow.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member
    This has been my experience in this situation. When I had my second heart attack, I was out and about. I knew I was having one because like I said this was the second one. I drove myself to the hospital right away not even thinking what might be on my hip. When they put me in an examination room and ask me to remove my shirt thats when my weapon was exposed. They told me very politely that was going to call security to collect my items. No one freaked out. Security came and collected my weapon, my wallet, my wrist watch and car keys. By this time I was ready to be move to surgery and had no time to sign for anything. After two days in the hospital, I was ready to go home and stopped by security on my way out. At security they had me check everything in front of them to make sure everything was there, had me sign my items out and I was on my way. No problem at all and everything was handle professionally.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Edit to add: There were some strong antis I worked with, but more than that there were those completely untrained with and therefore, afraid of guns. It is conceivable that once finding it, a small percentage of EMS folks would be afraid to continue doing their job. Afraid that somehow, taking you vitals or undressing you to doa proper asssessment or treatment might set it off. Once LE showed up and secured it, treatment could continue.
    ...and then so would my LAWSUIT.

My legal carry of a safe, modern handgun should not hamper in any way the emergency medical care I receive from those who should be trained to do the job! If they have to stop treating me because they discover a gun and have no clue what to do with it, then they are inadequately trained to the point where that inadequacy should be actionable.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    ...and then so would my LAWSUIT.

My legal carry of a safe, modern handgun should not hamper in any way the emergency medical care I receive from those who should be trained to do the job! If they have to stop treating me because they discover a gun and have no clue what to do with it, then they are inadequately trained to the point where that inadequacy should be actionable.
    I agree they should ALL be trained to handle it, but I don't think your lawsuit would be a winner. The standard that an emergency responder is held to is what would be the action of a reasonable colleague with the same level of training. I'm afraid the training (that is fairly standard countrywide, with a few exceptions) is this: When in doubt, standby and wait for LE to secure the scene.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Unfortunately, accident scenes are often the site of thefts. One that comes to mind is the airplane crash near Camden,Tenn. that took the lives of several country and western performers,one of whom was wearing a very large diamond ring. The ring was "never found". Sometime later a local LEO was sporting a very large, and valuable, diamond ring. No way that LEO could hve bought the ring on his salary. Kind of makes you wonder about carrying a really nice firearm.

Links