Has recent events changed your carry rig/practice ?

This is a discussion on Has recent events changed your carry rig/practice ? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; With the recent mass shootings in public venues ( 2 malls and 2 churches ) (i am counting the ohio mall incident Saturday that didnt ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Has recent events changed your carry rig/practice ?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

Has recent events changed your carry rig/practice ?

With the recent mass shootings in public venues ( 2 malls and 2 churches ) (i am counting the ohio mall incident Saturday that didnt get a lot of press ) Have you rethought your carry rig and or practice . In the NE mall eye witness account i posted he " gestimated " a range of about 50 yards from him to the shooter , and in the Colorado Springs shooting it could easily have gone farther where it started in a parking lot .

Now i am not specifically advocating popping off rounds at someone 50+ yards away with your carry gun . I am however if recent events have made you pause to think about what you can do to be more effective " at range " either by changing training or even changing your carry gun ?
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

No. I still carry two hand guns and a rifle. I have done so ever since 9/11.

Sepmer Fi

JD
    Administrator
    This is one reason why I favor a 5" bbl over the smaller easier to conceal guns, the exra bbl lenght and sight radius just might be needed one day. P95Carry had a pretty good thread regarding making longer shots, I'll see if I can dig it up, as there's a lot of good thoughts there that could relate to this thread.

Edited to add:

P95's thread can be seen HERE, it is closed for new posts due to the age of the thread, but it's still a good read while looking at this topic.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Has recient events changed your carry rig/practice ?
    As a matter of fact, yes, they have weighed a bit in my recent transition to more holstered, on-the-body carry (as opposed to carry in a bag).

I sometimes use a paddle holster now, and also have discovered that 2 o'clock IWB carry is pretty comfortable for me. I used to carry about 12 o'clock but that got uncomfortable before long; and 2 o'clock actually helps conceal better.

VIP Member
    I carry a sub-compact and love it, but yes I have thought of trying a full size pistol. Not because of the recent events. These events are "business as usual". Better accuracy just can't be a bad thing.
    I can't see carrying a full size gun everyday, especially during the summer. There's still going to be times when I'll have to depend on the ol j-frame.

Administrator
    Tis the season for full size carry. I make sure I have a combat pistol on me at all times during the holiday season, no matter the recent events. They have just backed up my thoughts that the crazy's come out during the season.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    It didn't really change anything for me because I already went through this process about a year ago now.

There was a shooting threat in the place I worked and when I reevaluated the layout of my building I saw I had pretty much three choices when it came to a shooter coming down my hall: cower under the desk and hope he doesn't see me or that none of his stray bullets hit me, run down the hall the other direction in a funnel of people and risk getting shot in the back, or take whatever cover I can find and make a longer shot that could hypothetically be at a distance of 20 yards or more (not to mention with other innocent people running around scared and screaming and getting shot).

I considered whether my carry gun could make that shot. The answer was no. It was a little Colt Mustang and after about ten yards the accuracy hit the dirt. I went out and bought my Kimber Ultra CDP in .45 and that thing has fabulous accuracy, even out to 15+ yards. Since I got and started carrying Wilson I have even more confidence in longer shots. Wilson has another 1.1 inches on my Kimber and is one darned ACCURATE gun and I am pretty confident we could make the shot at at least 25 yards if necessary.

At 50 yards? I don't think I'd try it. And I'm CERTAINLY not getting closer to try. I'm going the other direction and getting my skinny butt out of there.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Good post lima You have thought thro the options and settled not only on a firearm that suits you your normal situation, and your skills , but have a concise plan of action pre thought out ( as much as they can be ) .

I can get body shots with my normal carry ( Kahr p9) at 50 under stress . I am seriously considering either stepping back up to a full 5" 1911 or going to my p7 for the holiday season tho due to the ease of trigger control over the kahr . I just dont want to pack the weight lol . Its not comfort , its not lazy , its about how many 800mg motrins i take thro the day and what it does to my stomach as i have had a fairly long and interesting life that i pay for every day now lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

At those ranges, probably best to get out of Dodge... quickly. I switch between carrying my XD Service and my 686 2.5". I know what I can hit at what range with both of those sidearms and I know what that comfort range looks like. If I'm by myself, I will engage a threat out to that range if the situation warrants it and I have a high probability of success. If people are getting shot, I'll do everything I can to help.

Now, that changes if my family is with me. They are priority #1 and we get out of Dodge now. In that case, if you didn't bring your own gun to that gunfight, you're on your own.
    Firefighter/EMT
    "You've never lived until you've almost died. For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know" - T.R.

<----My LT was unhappy that I did not have my PASS-Tag at that fire. But I found the body so he said he would overlook it. :)

PM
    I have started carrying when going out to the closet thing we got to a mall; walmart. After looking at the Springs thing but mare the Neosho Mo church shooting I have been looking at for a more concealable gun (I know bigger is better). I want a more concealable so that NO ONE can tell I am carrying and so I can pocket it when not wearing or wanting to remove a cover garment. From time to time we set up or tear down tables and chairs or like yesterday we put up the set for the kids Christmas play and I need to remove my cover shirt or a jacket.

I am still tryng to figure out how to get around the gun free zone school thing; between the fed's and the gunbustersigns . . . I am out of luck!

I think that you should definately practice at longer ranges to see what you and your gun are capable of, but it still has to depend on the situation. My Kimber Pro has a 4" bbl and I can hit a siloughette at 25 yards, but I haven't been able to try this "under pressure". Sure, slow aimed fire and I can do it with a stationary target, but in the real world, there will be motion and odds are the target will not be square to you like at the range. I'll use the unconfirmed Omaha eye witness as an example. He had a clear line of sight to the target at ~ 50 yds, and was one level below I believe. Probably not much risk of hitting bystanders shooting upwards, but with a difference in elevation the target profile is smaller. It would be a difficult shot without the pressure. If we both were on level ground, or I was elevated and the target below, now the backdrop becomes more important. If it wasn't wide open, I don't think it would be a good idea.
    Last edited by limatunes; December 10th, 2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Discussion of Illegal Activities

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    The only thing I have changed is that I make sure I have at least one spare 13 shot mag with me. The idea being that I may be able to pin the bg down until law enforcement arrives on the scene. Since most of the shootings are occuring in GFZ's, the fact that someone is shooting back at the bg may well cause him/her to find cover as happened in the Salt Lake City shooting.

im at a yellow-orange at any large public venue. and i at least have my knife on me even in a GFZ(after all gun free isn't knife free). and when not in a GFZ im only carrying hollowpoints.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    At 50 yards? I don't think I'd try it. And I'm CERTAINLY not getting closer to try. I'm going the other direction and getting my skinny butt out of there.
    I'd consider that the best advice right there Lima. I know I can make the shot under PERFECT conditions at 50 if I HAVE to with a 1911, but the question is when do you ever HAVE to make the shot at 50 yards. I would like to think that at 50 yards I would have the opportunity to bug out.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Yeah, don't leave home without one!

Ok... For quite some time I have always carried two guns with reloads.

The only exception is when I am around town in my small town of about 3,000 people where I may carry just one gun.

The only recent changes has been my BUG. Not because of recent events but because I just acquired a new gun.

Since getting an XD9sc I have since started carrying two hi-capacity firearms. My Primary is usually the G-23 and the BUG is the XD9sc.

Prior to getting the XD, the BUG was usually a snub SP-101 or 3" Ruger Speed Six, with the G-23 still as the Primary.

On rare occasions I carry my Para P-12 but with an all steel frame and two hi-capacity reloads, it is a bit more heavy than the polymer frame guns I now own.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links