Disney

This is a discussion on Disney within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My family and I are going on the great Disney adventure this fall. I was wondering how you can get through South Carolina with a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disney

Disney

My family and I are going on the great Disney adventure this fall. I was wondering how you can get through South Carolina with a firearm. I have read it was ok as long as its not concealled. Is this true????? I live and hae my permit in VA. Also can you carry in Disney?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I have been told by several people that Disney is "signed" at the front entrance. If that is the case then no-can-do.---- I do not believe that S.C. has a agreement with Va. Check with Va. online.-------

I got this off of SC state laws.
    Unlawful carring of handgun exceptons:
    9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;

Quote Originally Posted by yrustuk
    I got this off of SC state laws.
    Unlawful carring of handgun exceptons:
    9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;
    You are dead on, in your car you can carry in your glove box or console and you are legal. Hopefully SLED will get with it and get more states permit recognized.
    --------------------------
    Rantings of a Right Wing Nutjob
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    VCDL Member
    USCCA Member

H&K USPc 9mm
    Para P-14 .45
    Para Warthog .45
    Bulgarian Makarov 9x18Mak
    Springfield Armory XD-9 Subcompact
    Walther P-22 3.4"
    Ruger 10/22 .22
    Smith and Wesson 642 .38 +P

I assume you mean Disney World in Orlando, FL. I have not been there in the last year or so, although I have been there several times since 9/11. I can tell you that I have never seen a "no firearms" sign outside any Orlando theme park, other than the special-event Halloween nights at Universal Studios (my experience that night is a separate story in itself).

I can and do carry in Disney parks and at Universal parks. There is a cursory bag search at the entrance. Therefore, you cannot carry in a fanny pack or off-body. However, pocket or IWB or other belt carry shouldn't be a problem. There are no metal detectors or pat down.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

Federal law

Check out this site
    www.gunlaw.com/intrsta.htm
    It explains how you can travel from one state to another with your firearms irregardless of what the state laws are.
    It will at least get you and your firearms to you destination. I don't know about Disney. Why not just e mail them and ask?
    But I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they are concerned about assassination attempts on Mickey.

Disney is very anti-gun. I wouldn't ask them because you won't get an answer you like. If you show up at the park and they have put in "no weapons" signs in the last year, make the decision then about leaving it in your car. I don't think you are going to find them, and I know you won't find metal detectors or similar security measures.

Again -- I am not advocating anything illegal. If it is not posted as "no weapons" there is no restriction in Florida on carrying in a theme park.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

As for getting into Disney. I have been a couple of time. Three months ago was my last visit. As you enter the main entrance gate leading into the park, if you bring in a bag you will have to stand in line to have them look through it. However, those of us that do not have a bag to be checked just walk through another unsupervised gate after you present your ticket and giving a electronic finger print.I had no problem waiting inside the park while the wife stood in line to her purse looked at. I had no problem entering while carrying. I would advise if you plan to carry in the park make sure your wepon is not printing and you have a permit. I think it would be un-comforable position that your pistol falls out while getting unto or off a ride.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Caveat: The follow is JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION!

I am a federal law enforcement officer and a firearms instructor. You very, very, very rarely find me without my weapon. I am "one of those guys"...the ones who don't go much of anywhere without it.

That being said: I also love Disney World. I admit it. I'm a bit of a Disney-head. I go whenever I get a chance.

Both of those things being said: I don't carry my weapon in the Park. I find it to be a huge hassle that interferes with my fun-time. It is very uncomfortable on many of the rides, particularly the roller-coaster type rides, which I love. It is also difficult on the water rides. Additionally, I have never found myself in a single place in Disney (except for perhaps a restroom) where I am not completely surrounded by people. Thousands of people...in every direction. Most of the building walls are just facades, and behind them...more people. Finding a safe backdrop to take a shot inside the park would be almost impossible. You are almost certainly going to hit an innocent bystander, either directly, or with a through-and-through shot. On the other hand, there are countless places to take good cover and escape.

I'm a carry-hound and my personal choice is not to carry in Disney. But, it is just that...a personal choice. Take it for what you will.

Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Gonzo
    You made some very good and points that I feel we should all consider when making the choice to carry in a crowded environment.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1
    Gonzo
    You made some very good and points that I feel we should all consider when making the choice to carry in a crowded environment.
    Mike

Thanks Mike. Having spent a ton of time at Disney (I'm a sick, sick man), it is simply based on observation. There is almost no place in any of the theme parks where you can be certain of your backdrop if you were to shoot. There are tunnels, concealed rooms, and Disney cast members in almost every imaginable place. The odds of being 100% sure of your shot in the best of conditions would be just about impossible. Doing it under fire, with thousands of screaming, panicked people running at you and around you? Hard to imagine. Again, just my opinion.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Senior Moderator
    I appreciate the good thoughts about not carrying in Disney's theme park, but not carrying always has the same caveats - you have to leave your gun in the car which means you are "unprotected" into and out of the establishment and your gun is exposed to being stolen if the car is broken into or stolen.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    I appreciate the good thoughts about not carrying in Disney's theme park, but not carrying always has the same caveats - you have to leave your gun in the car which means you are "unprotected" into and out of the establishment and your gun is exposed to being stolen if the car is broken into or stolen.

If you stay in a Disney Resort property, almost all of the rooms have a safe in them. Can't say for other hotels in the area. However, I also recommend a gun box for vehicles. Certainly, the possibility still exists that you car could actually be physically stolen, but securing the pistol within a locked safe within the vehicle relieves you of a lot of the liability. You can only do so much, even in the eyes of the law. Somebody could also break into your house and haul off your gun safe. That being said, I still believe carrying in Disney is a pesonal choice and I would not fault anybody for choosing to do so.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Question Mouse House Gun

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    Caveat: The follow is JUST MY HUMBLE OPINION!

I am a federal law enforcement officer and a firearms instructor. You very, very, very rarely find me without my weapon. I am "one of those guys"...the ones who don't go much of anywhere without it.

That being said: I also love Disney World. I admit it. I'm a bit of a Disney-head. I go whenever I get a chance.

Both of those things being said: I don't carry my weapon in the Park. I find it to be a huge hassle that interferes with my fun-time. It is very uncomfortable on many of the rides, particularly the roller-coaster type rides, which I love. It is also difficult on the water rides. Additionally, I have never found myself in a single place in Disney (except for perhaps a restroom) where I am not completely surrounded by people. Thousands of people...in every direction. Most of the building walls are just facades, and behind them...more people. Finding a safe backdrop to take a shot inside the park would be almost impossible. You are almost certainly going to hit an innocent bystander, either directly, or with a through-and-through shot. On the other hand, there are countless places to take good cover and escape.

I'm a carry-hound and my personal choice is not to carry in Disney. But, it is just that...a personal choice. Take it for what you will.

Gonzo
    Hey Gonzo, thank you for the job that you do! And speaking ALSO as a certified instructor and a FORMER LEO, I'd have to agree 100%! Mostly for the crowd issues. If YOU, Gonzo want to carry and not worry about the ride problem, wear a Belly Bag and show 'em your credentials. They'll let a federal LEO carry inside the park, no sweat. Otherwise if you want to stay below even their radar, follow your own previous advice. Just my own humble opinion.

My thinking is that in the only emergency where I might wish to respond and put my own skin in extreme jeopardy (a terror attack with the BG's using firearms on a crowd) it would be nice to have my own piece ready to bring to bear, but not crucial. In such an event, weapons are literally everywhere if you have the training and foresight to see them. Not in the least of which is to remove them from a BG by getting close enough to touch in a close and fluid situation. Dicey? Yes, but if my only option...well I AM a sheepdog. http://www.blackfive.net/main/2004/1..._hang_wit.html
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links