LEO moving in

This is a discussion on LEO moving in within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Be a good neighbor, but keep your powder dry. Stay concealed, but if he makes you, be a straight shooter with him about it....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LEO moving in

VIP Member
    Be a good neighbor, but keep your powder dry. Stay concealed, but if he makes you, be a straight shooter with him about it.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

2. Remove Ads

Give It Time

As an ex-LEO, I agree with the advice to wait and see how it goes and what he's like. Don't seem too eager. He may think you're a wannabe or a Barney Fife-type. Might ruin any chance of a good neighbor relationship.

Why would you feel the need to tell a stranger about your carry status?? Your legal, no need to run an tell every LEO you can find.

If you should get to know your 'neighbor'...I'm sure the conversation may get around to guns...and the dirtbags of the world!

Stay armed...quietly...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree with not telling. If some guy at an apartment I just moved in to, came running up to me telling me he had a CCW I would think, "Yeah so. And what a nutjob, must be some rambo, wannabe type." Then I would avoid him like the plague. I would kinda be annoyed that I couldn't get away from work even where I live, too.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Most of the LEO's I've spoken to or knew were pretty cool re: weapons and citizens who carried on their person or in autos, or in the home. However, in my experience, this was not a universal attitude. I've had exposure to some LEO's in northern cities who were dead set against citizens having free access to or carrying guns. Remember, LEO's are frequently hurt or wounded during domestic dispute calls. They'd like it fine if no-one had weapons that could hurt them.

Concealed means concealed, and to me, it also means none of anyone's business. I wouldn't say a word about this until or unless you get to know him/her pretty well and feel there is support for your situation.

+1 on holding off. He may not even be a gun person. It is surprising how many LEO do not like guns, let alone be "gun nuts"....like us. Hold off become neighbors and friends first, gun buddies later. Like someone else said, He may be a first class jerk. Play it close to the vest.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; December 11th, 2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Why in the world would you do that?

I am one of the weird one's on this board who is mostly anti-LEO.

Not all just most, so personally I wouldn't bother. More of a chance of the guy being a jerk than a normal guy. At least around here in Louisville, KY.

I'm more of the, you leave me alone, i'll leave you alone crowd.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; December 11th, 2007 at 01:39 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

i would personally try and get to know him, then see.
    if you become kinda friends, then sure. if not, then not
    unless ur in a state where you have to tell an leo that you are carrying if they talk to you. in that case, you might as well

I have a local SWAT team member that lives two houses away (100 yards). We BBQ and ride motorcycles together - he has no idea that I carry (or he hasn't mentioned it) and I see no reason to tell him.

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Don't unless you become friends or some issue requires it.
    That's the way I'd handle it... a need to know basis.
    "... Americans... we want a safe home, to keep the money we make and shoot bad guys." -- Denny Crane

Being a LEO is just his job, he is a citizen first so treat him as such. You don't tell everyone else you carry (I hope), so why bother with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Murexway View Post
    As an ex-LEO, I agree with the advice to wait and see how it goes and what he's like. Don't seem too eager. He may think you're a wannabe or a Barney Fife-type. Might ruin any chance of a good neighbor relationship.

Totally agree +1

That's your call once you get to know him.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    I am one of the weird one's on this board who is mostly anti-LEO.
    Me too... I respect what they do, but the police are NOT our friends (in general) anymore than someone we don't know who's walking down the street. Nor are they required to even protect us. The OP may become friends with the LEO as a neighbor, but it won't be because he's a LEO.

And, consider this. If the OP were ever to get into an altercation/argument with that LEO and he knows he has guns... Could get pretty bad as he might be able to get a warrant and have them seized or something.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links