LEO moving in

This is a discussion on LEO moving in within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I want to thank everyone for their opinions. I had no idea this issue was going to be so controversial. And I thought I was ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LEO moving in

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    I want to thank everyone for their opinions. I had no idea this issue was going to be so controversial.

And I thought I was going to have a personal bodyguard. You mean he is just a regular guy who works as a LEO?

2. Remove Ads

Yup. And why would you think he'd be your unpaid personal bodyguard? Like most of us, doing his jay-oh-bee and/or protecting you is probably the LAST thing he wants to do when he's off duty.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kimberbp22 View Post
    Yup. And why would you think he'd be your unpaid personal bodyguard?
    Picture, if you will, the approriate 'smiley' after my comment.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    Most LEOs that I know do not like mixing with non-LEOs in any social environment.

Many aren't gun people and only carry because it is "part of the job".

Attitudes towards civilian carry/ownership will run the gamut, but probably strongly influenced by where he grew up (not where he's living now).

Best bring over a cake/brownies, say hello, offer to be friendly (NO mention of guns at all) and see if he "bites" or not. Many will be polite and then go into "recluse mode".

I know a lot of LEOs, worked with lots and still do. None has ever asked me if I carry and I have never asked them . . . although I do know the answers for a few of them that I used to work with.

I've offered "range time" to a handful of chiefs and a handful of officers that I know personally. NONE have ever taken me up on it, although I did sponsor a few LEOs for gun clubs that I've belonged to over the years.
    NRA Instructor

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by LenS View Post

Best bring over a cake/brownies, say hello, offer to be friendly (NO mention of guns at all) and see if he "bites" or not. Many will be polite and then go into "recluse mode".
    Use caution there... he might get the wrong idea.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Brownies?

Try Single Malt Scotch if you really want to say "Welcome to the neighborhood"

I must say this is pretty much on the mark. It's not that we don't like people who aren't cops, it's that we don't trust them or their motivations for socializing with us. Most cops (myself included) have had the dubious honor of being introduced at social gatherings by our profession, with the attendant 20 questions about whether we've shot anyone or not, or whether we think they should have gotten that traffic ticket two years ago. Leave the guy alone, let him approach you, if anything.

Most LEOs that I know do not like mixing with non-LEOs in any social environment.

Many aren't gun people and only carry because it is "part of the job".

Attitudes towards civilian carry/ownership will run the gamut, but probably strongly influenced by where he grew up (not where he's living now).

I know a lot of LEOs, worked with lots and still do. None has ever asked me if I carry and I have never asked them . . . although I do know the answers for a few of them that I used to work with.

I've offered "range time" to a handful of chiefs and a handful of officers that I know personally. NONE have ever taken me up on it, although I did sponsor a few LEOs for gun clubs that I've belonged to over the years.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiboxer View Post
    with the attendant 20 questions about whether we've shot anyone or not,
    ....and the appropriately moronic answer to that moronic question is best delivered with a thick Austrian accent:

"Yeah, but they were all BAD...."

(Ahhhhnold, in True Lies, for those who didn't get it right off the bat)

Hey I like that. I've got a good answer to the ticket question now, too. When they ask me if they should have gotten one, I say I would've give them two.
    Si vis pacem, parabellum

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    Not in my apartment, but in my complex.

It is a small complex with sixto-eight units. He may even move in to the unit next door to mine as it has recently become vacant. My question is whether I should inform him of my carry status as I will likely run into him periodically when he is both in uniform and regular clothes.
    You do not go around telling neighbors of your concealed status. Likewise, you should treat him or regard him no differently from any other neighbor. Remember that he is at home, and not at work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links