Defensive Carry banner

LEO moving in

4K views 39 replies 34 participants last post by  cwblanco 
#1 ·
Not in my apartment, but in my complex.

It is a small complex with sixto-eight units. :wink: He may even move in to the unit next door to mine as it has recently become vacant. My question is whether I should inform him of my carry status as I will likely run into him periodically when he is both in uniform and regular clothes.

#3 ·
I wouldn't. He is still just your neighbor. I would introduce myself and let him know that if he needs anything he could knock on my door. But I wouldn't disclose the fact that I carry.

#8 ·
I would do that, and I might mention after knowning him for some time if he would like to go target practicing. But try not to come off as, "We are going to go target practicing, would you like to be the target?" lol

Always offer help to your neighbors when you can and when it's a smart thing to do. Do something for your neighbors like baking a cake to helping them move in, all the way to giving them shelter if their house burned down. Because neighbors make really good friends or really bad enemies. I think this proved true with Katrina, among other natural disasters.

#7 ·
Personally, I wouldn't see a need in informing him of anything. If you want to strike up a conversation with him, how's about saying 'hello, I'm your neighbor'? Some LEO's look at citizens who carry as a possible backup when the chips are down---others may look at us as crackpots or militia wannabe's. Follow me?

#15 ·
Here in Nc you are only required to notify LEO of your ccw if they are interacting with you in an official capacity. Whether in uniform or not, that doesn't matter. Personally, I would keep it to myself, the fewer who know the better. Until you know this officer better you are probably better off keeping it to yourself. You have no way of knowing how he feels about ccwers.

#16 ·
Be a good neighbor, but keep your powder dry. Stay concealed, but if he makes you, be a straight shooter with him about it.

#19 ·
If you should get to know your 'neighbor'...I'm sure the conversation may get around to guns...and the dirtbags of the world!

Stay armed...quietly...stay safe!

#20 ·
I agree with not telling. If some guy at an apartment I just moved in to, came running up to me telling me he had a CCW I would think, "Yeah so. And what a nutjob, must be some rambo, wannabe type." Then I would avoid him like the plague. I would kinda be annoyed that I couldn't get away from work even where I live, too.

#21 ·
Most of the LEO's I've spoken to or knew were pretty cool re: weapons and citizens who carried on their person or in autos, or in the home. However, in my experience, this was not a universal attitude. I've had exposure to some LEO's in northern cities who were dead set against citizens having free access to or carrying guns. Remember, LEO's are frequently hurt or wounded during domestic dispute calls. They'd like it fine if no-one had weapons that could hurt them.

Concealed means concealed, and to me, it also means none of anyone's business. I wouldn't say a word about this until or unless you get to know him/her pretty well and feel there is support for your situation.

#22 · (Edited by Moderator)
+1 on holding off. He may not even be a gun person. It is surprising how many LEO do not like guns, let alone be "gun nuts"....like us. Hold off become neighbors and friends first, gun buddies later. Like someone else said, He may be a first class jerk. Play it close to the vest.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
Why in the world would you do that?

I am one of the weird one's on this board who is mostly anti-LEO.

Not all just most, so personally I wouldn't bother. More of a chance of the guy being a jerk than a normal guy. At least around here in Louisville, KY.

I'm more of the, you leave me alone, i'll leave you alone crowd.

#30 ·
I am one of the weird one's on this board who is mostly anti-LEO.
Me too... I respect what they do, but the police are NOT our friends (in general) anymore than someone we don't know who's walking down the street. Nor are they required to even protect us. The OP may become friends with the LEO as a neighbor, but it won't be because he's a LEO.

And, consider this. If the OP were ever to get into an altercation/argument with that LEO and he knows he has guns... Could get pretty bad as he might be able to get a warrant and have them seized or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.