Who makes the best belly band?

This is a discussion on Who makes the best belly band? within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I need a belly band for my BUG on duty. It's a Kahr PM9. I tried Uncle Mikes and it stinks, slips down off the ...

Thread: Who makes the best belly band?

Who makes the best belly band?

I need a belly band for my BUG on duty. It's a Kahr PM9.

I tried Uncle Mikes and it stinks, slips down off the bottom of my vest. Was thinking something with neoprene or the like that flexed would be best.

Any suggestions? It's worn over clothes, so sweathing and skin comfort are not issues here.

-thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've been using Ace Case belly bands for concealed carry. They work great; the 6" wide elastic carries my 640 up to my USPc, and distributes the weight well. I carried a K40 in it before, so should work fine for you, too. It also has two mag slots.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Betty,

Does the velcro stick anywhere on the band? So you can pull it as tight as you want?

VIP Member
    Hi Jim,
    There's 6" of velcro at either end, but the bellyband comes in different lengths (S, M, L, etc.). Size Small (30-34") tightened down to fit my 25" waist. Instead of around the midsection, I wear it lower around the hips, so the gun is around the same location as an IWB holster at 5'oclock.

photo ©Ace Case
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Thanks Betty,

What is surgical elastic? Would you say it's more like neoprene or ace bandaides?

VIP Member
    It's really thick, heavy-duty elastic. The whole band is made out of it, even the holster and mag slots. It's stretchy but not wimpy, but it's not like neoprene or band-aids. It's more like stretchy ballistic nylon. My bellybands can last a couple years, and then I just toss it and buy a new one. I wash it so it doesn't get icky.

Thanks Betty for the scoop!

Assistant Administrator
    I've long had a ''Defender'' Jim - and find it quite comfortable but - always a ''but''! - I want to use it low but it rides up - and that means it is of little use for a long day. Plus no good for me now, with a pint of sweat/hour in hot weather!

OTOH it does do rather well as a ''low chest'' band except, to do OK for that it should be flesh tone/pink/cream/ color and not black.

It spends most time in the legendary rig box!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I've long had a ''Defender'' Jim - and find it quite comfortable but - always a ''but''! - I want to use it low but it rides up - and that means it is of little use for a long day. Plus no good for me now, with a pint of sweat/hour in hot weather!

OTOH it does do rather well as a ''low chest'' band except, to do OK for that it should be flesh tone/pink/cream/ color and not black.

It spends most time in the legendary rig box!
    Amen to that!! About the only time I use mine is when it's dress up time and I carry my Taurus 85 CHULT DAO...

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I have 2 Defenders from www.action-direct.com and I like them veyr much. I wear mine so that the top of the band is even with the waistband on my pants.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

The defender has more options, but is $5.00 more and I don't need any of the options. This will ride more as a "chest band" and some have stated it. What is the defender made of, it didn't say.

I didn't think I would like belly bands but I saw one at a show and LOVED it. It works when NOTHING else will. I can carry a full-size .45 in the summer with a short sleeve shirt and no covering garment and NO ONE can tell.

I can't say that this is necessarily any better than any other belly band but I am satisfied with it.

It seems to ride high like a shoulder holster. That keeps it CLOSE to the body - GREAT for concealment! - not so great for moisture control though.

This is what I use.

Their home page...

Assistant Administrator
    Jim - Defender is made out of that 4" wide elasticated stuff - very much what some ankle rig makers use. No idea what it's called but I think you'll know what I mean.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    If you have a sewing machine or access to someone that can sew you could probably make exactky wat you want out of medical elastic. I'm sure if that is what the Defender is made out of, but it is elastic.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Thanks guys / gal,

I ordered the Ace, as I liked the KISS style it had and the 2 spare mag pouches. If that doesn't work, I 'm gonna have my seamstress friend make one. For less than $30.00 delivered I couldn't see not trying it first. My only worry is that I will want to carry the Kahr in it all Summer with just a t-shirt instead of packing my BHP IWB and full loadout like I have been disciplining myself to this year. :)

Links