Will this work.

Will this work.

This is a discussion on Will this work. within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After reading through Janq's thread, and finding the frustration that he and others have endured in trying to make people understand why we carry, I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will this work.

Will this work.

After reading through Janq's thread, and finding the frustration that he and others have endured in trying to make people understand why we carry, I have decided on an arguement (have been thinking of it for a while but this stirred it up again) for those that don't understand. It may not work but here is my thinking.

My carry gun, is like their spare tire in their car. Honestly, how many of us actually use our spare? I did two weekends ago while out of town, first time in probably 10yrs, but it was there when I needed it, when I came out of a Mexican restaurant in Tyler, this was about 8:00 PM. I changed the tire, plugged the one with a hole in it, yes I carry plugs, and tools when I travel also, then went to find an air source to fill the original tire so I wouldn't be without a spare for any longer than I had to.

If you suggest to someone that finds it unreasonable to carry a gun, that they go to their car and remove their spare, because really they don't need it. If they have a flat, they can call AAA, just like they would call the police if there were a crime taking place. If they are near their home, they can just run back to the house and wait for someone, the same as if they are in their home and there is an invasion, they can run away from their home and wait for it to be over.

If their taking a long trip, really the odds of having a flat are so low, based on the number of miles driven and time spent in vehicles, that they really just don't need to take the spare along. Everything will be fine. That sinking feeling they they will have if they have a flat and walk back to get their spare only to find it is flat or they have left it at home, will pass with time. Maybe they could hope for the tire to be reinflated while sitting on the side of interstate 20 miles from the nearest town. Because by being unprepared, that is all they have is the hope that something bad won't happen to them during the robbery, rape, or whatever might take place one day.

So if during the holiday season we are confronted with persons that say, that is just silly to carry a gun everyday. I just don't understand why you have that thing (gun), well just ask them to leave their spare tire with you, because it is just as silly to carry around an extra wheel and tire that you might never need either. If they won't leave it with you, which none will, then maybe you can just ask them to remember next time they do have a flat what they would do if they didn't have a spare, and then equate that to how they are going to feel if they ever need to protect themselves and they have choosen not to be prepared for that either.

Now time to shoot this approach full of holes, or give some additional input to how this will work. What do you all think about this approach?

I am going to start clearing out a corner of the garage for all the extra spare tires I might accumulate during the holidays.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The only hole in your argument is that it is rational, and apparantly, rational doesn't work with some people. Collect your spare tires, feel good that you have them, but don't be suprised when some people don't understand the need, until they get a flat or 2 of their own.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

AMH
    I have used this argument with some people. I have also used the smoke detector argument. It has been my experience that when people have a certain mindset it can be nearly by impossible for you to change it. Most people need to be put in a situation where they wish they had a gun before they change.

All we can do is keep fighting the good fight and educate people the best we can.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Assistant Administrator
    Yep - emotion vs logic - that's the barrier.

The spare tire is one of the favorite comparisons I think - plus seat belts, fire extinguishers, home owner's insurance etc.

The other thing which someone came up with here a while ago - would be suggest that a person insure their vehicle for just 100 days in the year ........ and then decide which days to apply said insurance!

There are many analogies which to us show simple logic .... but to some this will never get thru because they suffer tunnel vision and refuse to change their irrational ideas and fears. Lateral thinking is not in the domain of the anti gun folks.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Good points all the way around.

The people that need convincing, is problematic in itself that they need convincing to begin with. No one had to convince me, I could perceive the need myself..........others can't and they come in all degrees of resistance. But don't give up, keep giving them doses of logic and reality, some will eventually come around.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

SWMBO "doesn't like" guns. Since there is no logic to this I can't fight it with logic. If she said something like guns aren't safe, we would be able to have some sort of a rational discussion about what isn't "safe".

I'm not having much luck but am making progress. My best argument has been: Why do you lock the doors?

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    A lot of people won't even consider owning a gun unless they already needed it. By then it's too late. After years of "discussing" my desire to own a gun for home protection with my wife, she waited to agree until after we started getting "visitors" after midnight at our new house. Now she owns one too. Here's a nice little excerpt from an old article.

http://www.gunowners.org/vtcarry.htm

Los Angeles. USA Today reported that many of the people rushing to gun stores during the 1992 riots were "lifelong gun-control advocates, running to buy an item they thought they'd never need." Ironically, they were outraged to discover they had to wait 15 days to buy a gun for self-defense.

VIP Member
    It's been my experience that "logic" has little to nothing to do with a person's decision to be a !

I know some very well educated people who are as dumb as a rock when it comes to self defense. All the arguments in the world fall on def ears with them. I no longer engage in those conversations. If someone comes to me with honest questions I'll talk with them all day, but if their mind is closed, I no longer waste my time.

That's just me.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I understand your logic, but it may be questionable. Using me as an example, I own and shoot several guns, hunting, sport and self defense.
    There have been times I carried a gun for specific incidences ie; property evections, drunk on my property etc, but I do not feel compelled to carry a weapon everywhere I go.
    I presently have a new CCW lisence and will carry more often, but still do not feel compelled to have a gun on me at all times.
    I have argued this issue with myself many times, [boy scout motto - be prepared] yet being armed with a pistol is not as high on my list as some of you.
    At the same time, I have always prepared in a different way; area awareness, avoid bad places, give rowdy people plenty of room, and duck out the back if things don't go right, stay in good physical condition and have studied personal defense methods.
    Please don't crucify me here as I am one of yours, but I would enjoy reading you comments regarding this attitude.

i agree. the only problem with your explanation is that its logical

not to mention.. i would much rather have a hole in my tire than my chest

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    I understand your logic, but it may be questionable. Using me as an example, I own and shoot several guns, hunting, sport and self defense.
    There have been times I carried a gun for specific incidences ie; property evections, drunk on my property etc, but I do not feel compelled to carry a weapon everywhere I go.
    I presently have a new CCW lisence and will carry more often, but still do not feel compelled to have a gun on me at all times.
    I have argued this issue with myself many times, [boy scout motto - be prepared] yet being armed with a pistol is not as high on my list as some of you.
    At the same time, I have always prepared in a different way; area awareness, avoid bad places, give rowdy people plenty of room, and duck out the back if things don't go right, stay in good physical condition and have studied personal defense methods.
    Please don't crucify me here as I am one of yours, but I would enjoy reading you comments regarding this attitude.
    I am not going to make you into a whipping boy, promise. I don't always carry a gun either, but do 98 or 99% of the time when away from the house. But, I will ask one question. Do you drive your car without a spare on a regular basis? If not why? Honestly I don't want to start any arguement about this, but I would like to prepare myself for some of the comments that might be brought about by this comparison.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

friesepferd; I semi agree with you, but I have not had a flat tire in 30 years [true]. However, I just had one about 4 months ago, LOL.
    You see, what I am struggling with is that the chances of me really needing a gun are almost none. That is not the same for all of you, but most of you are carrying for no reason.
    Does that constitute are reason not carry; not necessarily, but, it could.
    Also the fact that you have a gun makes me feel more protected, well OK, some of you, LOL.
    Don't get me wrong, I plan to exercise my right to carry, but most likely will not be armed all the time with a gun. I really don't like the idea of a hole in my chest.

If you try hard enough, I'm sure you can come up with a argument that sounds great as to why you don't carry. That's fine with me, since my argument is: I carry because I can and want to. I don't trust many people, I have a lot of enemies that I know of, and I don't know when the next dirt bag in this world will start shooting at my family, you, or me.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    friesepferd; I semi agree with you, but I have not had a flat tire in 30 years [true]. However, I just had one about 4 months ago, LOL.
    You see, what I am struggling with is that the chances of me really needing a gun are almost none. That is not the same for all of you, but most of you are carrying for no reason.
    Does that constitute are reason not carry; not necessarily, but, it could.
    Also the fact that you have a gun makes me feel more protected, well OK, some of you, LOL.
    Don't get me wrong, I plan to exercise my right to carry, but most likely will not be armed all the time with a gun. I really don't like the idea of a hole in my chest.
    The time you are not armed will be the time that Murphy pays you a visit.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

supertac, could be that is what I am doing, creating an argument to convince myself. Actually you feedback is valuable and reasonable.
    One of my big concerns for us who choose to carry is that we get into this paranoid arena that says the world is bad and we are going to defend ourselves against it.
    That cold put us in the wrong perspective of those who do not carry and would not. They need to see us as good, law abiding people like themselves, except that we do not want to become a stastical element at the expense of some crack heads hand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links