Great article from Thomas Sowell about self-defense and police shootings...

This is a discussion on Great article from Thomas Sowell about self-defense and police shootings... within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; One of my favorite authors: http://www.townhall.com/columnists/T...t_last!?page=2 Mel...

Thread: Great article from Thomas Sowell about self-defense and police shootings...

Great article from Thomas Sowell about self-defense and police shootings...

The Ethics of Liberty
    LewRockwell.com
    The Survival Podcast
    How long have we watered the Tree of Deceit with the blood of patriots?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    A very good article, indeed. Because the caption with the article showed Jeanne Assam, I sent Mr. Sowell the following e-mail...

Mr. Sowell,

This was an excellent article. I realize you are not likely the person responsible for the article layout, but I would like to bring to your attention the fact that the accompanying picture of Ms. Assam labels her, as do most of the news accounts, as a 'security guard.'

Please note that the New Life Church pastor went out of his way in comments to the media to describe Ms. Assam as a congregation member who did volunteer work to assist with security at the church, and that the church specifically does not retain paid security guards. I believe it is very important here for the public at large to know that the rampaging gunman was stopped by a regular citizen with a license to carry a concealed handgun; falsely labeling Ms. Assam as a guard only perpetuates the media driven myth that only 'properly trained professionals' can ever hope to accomplish any good with a firearm.

It does Ms. Assam a discourtesy in that this description as a security guard implies she was only doing a job in halting Matthew Murray's shooting spree, and it does the public a disservice in obfuscating the beneficial role of the armed private citizen in contributing to the defense of society as a whole.

Thanks for your attention.
    Last edited by kazzaerexys; December 11th, 2007 at 06:44 PM.

VIP Member
    Sounds like Dr Sowel is a shooter:
    ...just because a shot has hit does not mean that it is now safe to stop shooting......

....If the bad guy is still capable of shooting back, it is no time for the cop to stop firing, because his life is still in danger.....

.... Only part of the problem is that many people have no idea of the capabilities and limitations of different kinds of guns, much less how much difference it makes if the shooter is in the safety of a firing range or in the stress of a life and death battle. What is a bigger and wider problem is that too many people feel no hesitation to go spouting off about things they know nothing about.....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Great Article and fabulous point that can be applied over and over again to a multitude of issues.

Kazz,
    Well written response to Mr Sowell. Respectful and accurate. CLASS ACT!
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

IRT the author as a shooter:

As someone who once taught pistol shooting in the Marine Corps...
    3rd paragraph
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Good article, but I (as always) hate to see the idea of a sound being a reliable way to survive a lethal assault (the old "they'll mess their pants and run like the wind when I rack the slide of Ol' Betsy, here!" line). Yes, the shotgun is a very capable HD weapon. No, it is not a magical noise wand that makes BGs disappear when you wave it around.

Other than that minor point, the author is right on the money.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Good article.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links