Chief of Police response to safety concerns at church

This is a discussion on Chief of Police response to safety concerns at church within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After the events of this weekend at 2 CO ministries, I sent an email to one of our boards which is responsible for handling disaster/emergency ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chief of Police response to safety concerns at church

Chief of Police response to safety concerns at church

After the events of this weekend at 2 CO ministries, I sent an email to one of our boards which is responsible for handling disaster/emergency response informing them that we would meet and put together plans on how to respond to these types of incidents.

One of the members passed along some of my concerns/issues for the Board to our local Chief of Police by email.

Here is her response to the Board with his email included.

"Good Morning all,

Police Chief Xxxxx sent this reply to an email I sent him about Pastor's and our security concerns. I took out the personal hello's and stuff. I hope you don't mind my not waiting until the meeting to go forward.......Cxxxxxxxx

Chief: 'Your Pastor raises some valid concerns, This is a changing world and we need to expect the unexpected, or at least be prepared. We encourage our police officers to always carry their firearms when off duty, because you never know. Your pastor might want to establish a security team to insure there is a member of the church in possession of a firearm at every church function. Those selected individuals should be qualified and trained. I am certain that your church has many individuals who meet this criteria. We would also be available to assist in any way. We have gun permits at the
    station and do provide training. Please let us know if we can assist in any way.

Xxxxx Xxxxx'"

I just thought I'd pass along to you the news of one more pro-CCW and pro-self defense LEO in FL.

I will get with him to find out what they will do for training.
    Also, I didn't understand his comment about having 'gun permits' at the station. That may mean the applications for FL CWL.

I'll let you know.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    Thanks!

Awesome.....glad to see the Chief didn't default to the "call 911 and we'll be right there....don't take the law into your own hands...yadda yadda yadda"
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    What a breath of fresh air!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    That's a refreshing opinion from the chief of police. If only more were like that.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    Wow.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

Very nice, glad to see some Florida LEOs receptive to the idea and willing to help out instead of the party line like SIGguy mentioned.

Let us know what comes of any sort of training opportunities ya'll work out with the department there. May be something for some of us to approach our local departments with to help promote the fact that the CCL holders in their jurisdiction want to be responsible, armed citizens and help foster a good relationship with local LEOs.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Your pastor might want to establish a security team to insure there is a member of the church in possession of a firearm at every church function. Those selected individuals should be qualified and trained. I am certain that your church has many individuals who meet this criteria. We would also be available to assist in any way. We have gun permits at the
    station and do provide training. Please let us know if we can assist in any way.
    What does he mean by "we have gun permits at the station"? Local Florida police departments are not the ones who issue Florida CCW licenses...

I also am on the fence about this response. He's talking about forming a security team (presumably of CCW-licensed volunteers, possibly former or current LEO). I would like to see them advocating that simple parishioners who are licensed should carry, whether they are on a security team or not.

Let's say that the man whose daughters were shot had been carrying and had had the opportunity to see the shooter coming. The security inside the church was of no help to him, but if he'd had a gun of his own they might have had a chance, yes? Inside the church where the security team is might not be where you end up confronted by a deadly threat.

Advocating security teams is not quite the same as advocating CCW. I'd like to see more of the latter.

They provide training ???

That's be cool if that were the case. Might also be a good safeguard against certain liabilities.

Hmm...Can we clone your Chief and pass him around?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array morintp's Avatar
    As a side note, when I was buying my first gun, the guy who sold it to me was explaining the laws in Vermont (no I don't register, no background check, no permits or license required) he mentioned that Vermont still has a law on the books that all adult males must carry a loaded gun openly to church.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    What does he mean by "we have gun permits at the station"? Local Florida police departments are not the ones who issue Florida CCW licenses...

I also am on the fence about this response. He's talking about forming a security team (presumably of CCW-licensed volunteers, possibly former or current LEO). I would like to see them advocating that simple parishioners who are licensed should carry, whether they are on a security team or not.

Advocating security teams is not quite the same as advocating CCW. I'd like to see more of the latter.
    pj,

I have the same question about 'gun permits.' I called to set up an appointment and will find out more at that time.

As to the 'security team,' I presume he means CWL holders. But, again, will know more after the meeting. Still, he seems real open to concealed carry, as I read this. And that's a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Hmm...Can we clone your Chief and pass him around?
    NO!

He's OURS, and you can't have him.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

wow thats great. glad some ppl are thinking

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post

Let's say that the man whose daughters were shot had been carrying and had had the opportunity to see the shooter coming. The security inside the church was of no help to him, but if he'd had a gun of his own they might have had a chance, yes? Inside the church where the security team is might not be where you end up confronted by a deadly threat.

Police administrators think in terms of organizations and teams.

That's what they are used to, that's what they feel comfortable with.

Organizations have warm and fuzzy things for police chiefs like accountability, training, structure. They are familiar to them, so that's what they are comfortable with and thus, what they recommend.

They are less likely to recommend a "everyone should carry and when the gunman appears, open fire..." because its not the way they probably think, and most assuredly not something they will put into writing even if they privately hold that belief.

To do so would be unwise, because what he puts on paper can come back to bite him in the ass when someone takes his advice and it goes bad.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Who is he??

What county, city?

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links