Defensive Carry banner

Chief of Police response to safety concerns at church

3K views 37 replies 28 participants last post by  Ragin Cajun 
#1 ·
After the events of this weekend at 2 CO ministries, I sent an email to one of our boards which is responsible for handling disaster/emergency response informing them that we would meet and put together plans on how to respond to these types of incidents.

One of the members passed along some of my concerns/issues for the Board to our local Chief of Police by email.

Here is her response to the Board with his email included.

"Good Morning all,

Police Chief Xxxxx sent this reply to an email I sent him about Pastor's and our security concerns. I took out the personal hello's and stuff. I hope you don't mind my not waiting until the meeting to go forward.......Cxxxxxxxx

Chief: 'Your Pastor raises some valid concerns, This is a changing world and we need to expect the unexpected, or at least be prepared. We encourage our police officers to always carry their firearms when off duty, because you never know. Your pastor might want to establish a security team to insure there is a member of the church in possession of a firearm at every church function. Those selected individuals should be qualified and trained. I am certain that your church has many individuals who meet this criteria. We would also be available to assist in any way. We have gun permits at the
station and do provide training. Please let us know if we can assist in any way.

Xxxxx Xxxxx'"

I just thought I'd pass along to you the news of one more pro-CCW and pro-self defense LEO in FL.

I will get with him to find out what they will do for training.
Also, I didn't understand his comment about having 'gun permits' at the station. That may mean the applications for FL CWL.

I'll let you know.

See less See more
#3 ·
Awesome.....glad to see the Chief didn't default to the "call 911 and we'll be right there....don't take the law into your own hands...yadda yadda yadda"

#7 ·
Very nice, glad to see some Florida LEOs receptive to the idea and willing to help out instead of the party line like SIGguy mentioned.

Let us know what comes of any sort of training opportunities ya'll work out with the department there. May be something for some of us to approach our local departments with to help promote the fact that the CCL holders in their jurisdiction want to be responsible, armed citizens and help foster a good relationship with local LEOs.

#8 ·
Your pastor might want to establish a security team to insure there is a member of the church in possession of a firearm at every church function. Those selected individuals should be qualified and trained. I am certain that your church has many individuals who meet this criteria. We would also be available to assist in any way. We have gun permits at the
station and do provide training. Please let us know if we can assist in any way.
What does he mean by "we have gun permits at the station"? Local Florida police departments are not the ones who issue Florida CCW licenses...

I also am on the fence about this response. He's talking about forming a security team (presumably of CCW-licensed volunteers, possibly former or current LEO). I would like to see them advocating that simple parishioners who are licensed should carry, whether they are on a security team or not.

Let's say that the man whose daughters were shot had been carrying and had had the opportunity to see the shooter coming. The security inside the church was of no help to him, but if he'd had a gun of his own they might have had a chance, yes? Inside the church where the security team is might not be where you end up confronted by a deadly threat.

Advocating security teams is not quite the same as advocating CCW. I'd like to see more of the latter.

#12 ·
What does he mean by "we have gun permits at the station"? Local Florida police departments are not the ones who issue Florida CCW licenses...

I also am on the fence about this response. He's talking about forming a security team (presumably of CCW-licensed volunteers, possibly former or current LEO). I would like to see them advocating that simple parishioners who are licensed should carry, whether they are on a security team or not.

Advocating security teams is not quite the same as advocating CCW. I'd like to see more of the latter.
pj,

I have the same question about 'gun permits.' I called to set up an appointment and will find out more at that time.

As to the 'security team,' I presume he means CWL holders. But, again, will know more after the meeting. Still, he seems real open to concealed carry, as I read this. And that's a positive. :hand10:

Hmm...Can we clone your Chief and pass him around?:yup:
NO!

He's OURS, and you can't have him. :image035:

#11 ·
As a side note, when I was buying my first gun, the guy who sold it to me was explaining the laws in Vermont (no I don't register, no background check, no permits or license required) he mentioned that Vermont still has a law on the books that all adult males must carry a loaded gun openly to church.

#18 ·
I'll wait on replying to that.

If he should tell me that we should all be prepared to kill 'em all
and let God sort 'em out, I wouldn't want that to jump up and
bite him. (Granted, don't think that's real likely.)

#19 ·
I carry and I'm the pastor at my church so I'm the one man security detail are our small church. I've briefed ushers on security issues but I would personally welcome legal CC folks in our church. I've never told a soul that I carry at church but I've had two memeber ask me if I ever got a carry permit becasue they know I enjoy handguns. I answered honestly and for whatever reason they never asked if I carried. Not sure if they assume I do or don't. My wife knows I carry but again, I would like it if a few more of the folks got their permit and carried in church. What we're seeing in the news shouldn't surprise anyone, there's story after story in the bible about violence from, between, and directed towards Christians. Let's face it, Cain committs murder before you're more than a few chapters into Genesis.

As our country get's further and fruther from the basic morality of a christian nation and we teach everyone that we're just an evolved species of mammal, then it's predictable that men will act more and more like animals.

Sorry for the "preach". My motto is a sword in the hand (the Word of God) and a weapon on the hip!

God Bless
Gideon

#24 ·
Update

I met with the CofP in my little town on a barrier island in FL this a.m.

Here is the gist of our conversation:

Chief C--- thinks we should have a security team in place. It is far better to prepare in case of emergency than to react after the fact.
According to the regional Terror Task Force, we are a higher profile target than DisneyWorld due to our location near AFB and NASA. In addition, 50,000 people a day pass through our little town.

They will do training just for our church's security team. They will talk about issues related to situational awareness, what to do should someone come in about whom we have concerns for the physical safety of the congregation. They will provide additional training, including range time.

He recommended that we, somewhat subtly, let the congregation know that we are forming a security team. We would want to make sure that those we include in such a team have the necessary maturity to be part of this. He also said we might want to specifically look for former LEO and military (we have tons of retired/former military since we are close to a USAF base). He also told me we have 2 retired CIA agents that he knows of. (Now I want to know who they are.)

We closed with the agreement that I would contact him after the first of the year to set up specifics on training.

Before I left, he gave me applications for FL CWL, and encouraged me to pass them out.

Oh, they are also looking at doing a Reserve Officer training program which would include 120 hours of training.

Great conversation! This LEO firmly believes that citizens should be armed and trained. PERIOD. :congrats:

#26 ·
wow that wasn't what I was expecting when I opened this thread...
that is great news, and glad to hear he knows who the good guys are.

#28 ·
Again, can we clon your chief? We need to get rid of Timmoney!

#29 ·
Great police chief, common sense, the castle doctrine, and all of Florida's great gun law appproaches...ahhhh, what a state.

Greetings, Mikl...Merry Christmas...
Stay armed...stay safe!

#30 ·
Ken,

Merry Christmas to you and yours.
And to all the members of the forum.
I have learned so much from each of you.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.