Jeanne Assam's Performance in Colorado Church Shooting: MERGED - Page 3

Jeanne Assam's Performance in Colorado Church Shooting: MERGED

This is a discussion on Jeanne Assam's Performance in Colorado Church Shooting: MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa That makes sense. How much does 1000+ rounds of rifle ammo weight? More than one would want to carry...pretty bulky...20 boxes ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jeanne Assam's Performance in Colorado Church Shooting: MERGED

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    That makes sense.

How much does 1000+ rounds of rifle ammo weight?
    More than one would want to carry...pretty bulky...20 boxes of 50 rounds/box?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member
    If the media reported it, I would guess reality would be that he had 60 rounds with him, and the rest in his vehicle. Seems like if there is a gun involved they can't ever get the facts correct.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    That makes sense.

How much does 1000+ rounds of rifle ammo weight?
    On another board, the estimate was around 30 mags for a long gun or 60-66 mags for a hand gun. This, of course, is just a guess based on the reported 1000+ rounds. There are, I understand, varying amounts, depending on which news report you watch. More than I would want to try to carry and one time me thinks.
    Sailor
    USN
    PM Doric 342
    www.grandrogueencampment.com

"Heres to you and heres to me, and in case we ever disagree, the h___ with you, heres to me"

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    ... By all accounts, Ms. Assam STOPPED the attack using her personal firearm, and that is always the desired result...
    Yep, shoot to stop, not to kill. This would make a great case study.

(But remember 2 young girls died in this senseless attack . My prayers go to their family.)
    Randy
    - - - - -
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

pax
    Could they be counting whatever he left in his vehicle, rather than what he had on his person?

pax
    Kathy Jackson
    My website: Cornered Cat

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    More than one would want to carry...pretty bulky...20 boxes of 50 rounds/box?

Correction...more than WE would want to carry.

Because we carry concealed, we forget that in a backpack or ammo box carried on your shoulder, 20 boxes really isn't that much...we must HIDE our extra ammo AS WELL as our weapons...

As far as i can tell, he made no attempt to do that, making the carrying of that much ammo easier in a physical sense.

a neighbor of mine who knows that i carry has questioned me in the past about why i feel the need to carry in "the house of God," or, "a place of worship." i saw him on his front porch yesterday after work and asked if he'd seen the news over the weekend. he had, and he also said that he now understands why i'd carry everywhere i legally can, including church.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    If the media reported it, I would guess reality would be that he had 60 rounds with him, and the rest in his vehicle. Seems like if there is a gun involved they can't ever get the facts correct.

Z
    according to reports i saw on Fox News and read in my local paper, he was carrying around a backback full of ammo for both his rifle and pistol(s). he could easily have been carrying 1000 rounds on his back.

I live in Colo Springs and have freinds who attend New Life Church. I attend another church in town. I have a CHP and carry all the time, even at church. I sit in the back row and keep an eye on the vistabul and entrance. It was just a matter of time before this happened somewhere in Colo Springs. Those who thought I was a little nutty for carrying at church have seen the light. I had 4 call me since Sunday and ask how to get permitted.
    "Proud to be an Infidel"

"Have you hugged your AR today"

I can tell you what a 100rd drum weighs for my chicago typwriter and it is just about 8 pounds. That is loaded with 230gr ball ammo. With the 100rd drum and the gun together it is just a little over 21 pounds for the 1927A and right at 17pounds for the 1928A. I am sure there are many examples of different ammo that would be different weights. Just remember there are 7000gr to the pound.

VIP Member
    21 pounds for a loaded Tommy Gun?! The M60 weighs 29 with a 100rd belt!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

VIP Member
    As much as it pains me to say it, I can't remember the weight of the M-16. But a little internet research tells me that unloaded it is 7.9 pounds and loaded with a 30 round magazine it weighs 8.79 pounds for a difference of 0.89 pounds. 33 magazines, using this information would weigh 29.37 pounds. That would be 990 rounds, leaving us only 10 short of the 1000.

Although I really have a feeling that the number of rounds wasn't exact. I'd guess he had several magazines on him and a police officer said "wow, that guy had about a 1000 rounds on him" to someone. A reporter heard the comment and reported that he had 1000 rounds on him.

I could be wrong, but that's what the little voice is telling me.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Lets get to back to the thread title; performance.

How many here would, as the scenario apparently unfolded, walk down the BG without cover, while he had multiple weapons, and was returning fire?

On another note, the Vietnam vet that took cover behind a column that turned out to be faux; bullet went right on through. Are we ready to assess our cover under fire?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

That vet also asked someone for a gun cause he said he could take him out and the person told him no, he asked a couple times and the person kept denying him. Not sure who he asked or such but I read it in the Denver Post.

go Jean go!

She put the rounds in him that stopped him and finished the fight in him ... whether he punched himself out or she did is only so much fiddle faddle.

Some reports are that: She cooly walked toward him while cooly shooting while saying 'Surrender' ... no doubt in the cold hearted, clenched teeth, grimaced Clint Eastwood tradition. Sounds baaad asss and downright dangerous.

Shoot that son of a gun into the ground as fast as possible with any reliable technique ... with or without concealment, cover or movement as appropriate.

She gets an A

for Affectiveness
    for Ability
    for Action
    for Availability
    and for Accuracy
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Agreed OPFOR.

The latest blathering about he offed himself is immaterial to the final point, she did a stellar job better than most anyone pro or anti would predict muchless expect.

But...It does though present us civilians, LEOs already know this, that even if the BG is on the ground and slowed and leaking badly and appears to be done for the day one should still consider him/her armed and dangerous and quite possibly not stopped. This kid was determined to the very end.
    He easily could have taken a shot at her or anyone else instead with that round he put in his own head. As well that pistol he found with his hand could've been the pin or pull strip to a grenade or IED about his person.

As we've all heard somewhere atleast once in life; 'Show me your hands! Put your hands where I can see them!'.

Never underestimate the willfulness of the determined, even the wounded working on a second to last breath.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links