Jeanne Assam's Performance in Colorado Church Shooting: MERGED

This is a discussion on Jeanne Assam's Performance in Colorado Church Shooting: MERGED within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like many of you, I've been tracking various media about Jeanne Assam, 42, the female volunteer security guard who repeatedly shot Matthew J. Murray, 24 ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeanne Assam's Performance in Colorado Church Shooting: MERGED

Jeanne Assam's Performance in Colorado Church Shooting: MERGED

Like many of you, I've been tracking various media about Jeanne Assam, 42, the female volunteer security guard who repeatedly shot Matthew J. Murray, 24 as Murray had opened fire on the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, CO.

According to one media source...

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/new...gunman-and-god

"Armed with a handgun, she calmly confronted Matthew J. Murray, 24, who was armed with an assault rifle, two handguns and 1,000 rounds of ammunition, police said."

More details from another church security guard and eyewitness here:

http://wizbangblog.com/content/2007/...ife-church.php

A YOUTUBE video of Jeanne Assam's press conference remarks is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZoU8cUT5qQ

Police haven't released many forensic details about the shooting, except today police determined that Murray died of a self-inflicted wound, after having been shot by Jeanne Assam several times. It appears that Jeanne Assam stopped, but did not ultimately kill, the attacker.

I believe this case will definitely be the source of much discussion, including forensic analysis. I can't wait for Massad Ayoob and Martin Fackler to weigh in. :)

On that note, I cannot find any details about...

1) The kind of handgun Jeanne Assam used

2) The caliber of the handgun she used

3) How many shots/hits she got off (facing fire, remember).

Regardless, Jeanne Assam's performance is a testament to the power to save lives using a concealed weapon. If ever there was an example of "God, Guns, and Guts" in the face of terrible odds, its the heroine Jeanne Assam.

AC

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by accordioncowboy View Post
    ......Police haven't released many forensic details about the shooting, except today police determined that Murray died of a self-inflicted wound, after having been shot by Jeanne Assam several times. It appears that Jeanne Assam stopped, but did not ultimately kill, the attacker.......
    Maybe for Ms. Assam, this will be a good thing. She may be able to sleep better knowing she may have stopped him, but not killed him....

On that note, I cannot find any details about...

1) The kind of handgun Jeanne Assam used

2) The caliber of the handgun she used

3) How many shots/hits she got off (facing fire, remember).
    I haven't found it either....time will tell......

I did read one article that said she emptied her weapon, so I'm guessing revolver....maybe .38.....(not trying to start a caliber war, just speculating...)

Regardless, Jeanne Assam's performance is a testament to the power to save lives using a concealed weapon. If ever there was an example of "God, Guns, and Guts" in the face of terrible odds, its the heroine Jeanne Assam.
    AC
    Plus ONE
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Good info, thank you!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I saw this lady on the news and must say she had a cool head and obviously trained well. She saved a lot of lives.

I saw a different news story that said the gunman had 40 rounds on him. I say this because i remember thinking how could the guy have killed 100 people with 40 rounds?

About Jeanne Assam: An Ex Cop Who Worked in Minneapolis MN PD

Quote Originally Posted by golfer View Post
    I saw this lady on the news and must say she had a cool head and obviously trained well. She saved a lot of lives.
    http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_7684728

"Assam said she had drawn her weapon countless times in her prior law enforcement career, but she had never shot anyone until Sunday... Sgt. Jess Garcia III, the public-information officer for the Minneapolis Police Department, said Assam left his police department in the late 1990s. He said during her time there she worked in North Minneapolis, the busiest crime area of the city, as well as in downtown Minneapolis. "Some of the training she received here apparently helped her," Garcia said. "She did a great job." He said he knew her during her time in Minneapolis. "I thought she had a great personality and always got along with everybody," Garcia said. "

Note that the mainstream media is spinning Jeanne Assam as a "security guard". Other reports say "volunteer security for New Life Church".

My take: She's a concealed weapons permit holder with cop training who was in the wrong place at the right time... for the 7000 people who were inside New Life Church when Murray attacked.

The mainstream media isn't going to stand idly by without slinging some mud on her. I suspect we'll have some focus on why she left Minneapolis PD, etc.

Regardless, Jeanne Assam is a female, an armed citizen, and a bona fide hero.

PS: She's also single! Rowr! :)

AC

VIP Member
    I don't think I buy that it was self inflicted. I think that is the giant PR machine at work. But, I try to avoid conspiracy theory type things, so I'll just push that into the back of my mind and ignore it.

As for her conscious- I don't think it will bother her one way or the other. She is secure in her beliefs and believes she was doing God's work.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

I saw Ms. Assam on the Communist News Network last night; what a brave woman for confronting that coward in the church. I also understand that one of the security guards froze at the moment of truth as well. If this is true,. it is proof positive that all the training in the world cannot make up for the lack of a hard heart when faced with the choice of taking a life in defense of oneself or others.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    I saw a different news story that said the gunman had 40 rounds on him. I say this because i remember thinking how could the guy have killed 100 people with 40 rounds?
    Bones,

I heard that he had fired approximately 40 rounds, but had 1,000 on him.

Who knows if the reporting is accurate. They so seldom seem to get the details right.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    She was a volunteer security person. Her church, like some others, has members that work as a security detail. Those that have CCW permits may carry their weapons. Assam attended an earlier service and then was at the later service to provide security.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    One of the news reports I read, which was fairly detailed, said that Assam emptied her magazine. This agrees with another news account that had a witness stating that Assam fired "about a dozen rounds." Sorry, I have read so many stories on this that I don't have the links.

The detailed description of the shooter's equipment said that he had about a thousand rounds "in clips" (presumably in magazines ) for the 'assault rifle' in his backpack.

As for the fatal wound being self-inflicted, that was reported on Fox News as coming directly from the autopsy. I don't see why the chief forensic examiner would be likely to be part of any media-driven conspiracy...

That makes sense.

How much does 1000+ rounds of rifle ammo weight?

It almost sounds like a neighborhood block watch.
    "That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -- George Orwell

Ron Paul 2008!

As the details are revealed, I think this will become the most discussed CCW senerio in the past several years.
    Muskiehunter-

Excellent job in protecting her church members against the ultimate dirt bag scum.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links