Letter to my congressman

Letter to my congressman

This is a discussion on Letter to my congressman within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is the body of a letter sent to my US Representative concerning HR 861: National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act Dear Representative xxxxxxxx, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Letter to my congressman

Here is the body of a letter sent to my US Representative concerning HR 861: National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act

Dear Representative xxxxxxxx,

I am one of your constituents living in xxxxxxxx, CT and I am writing to you today concerning H.R. 861: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2007.

In the aftermath of the three shootings over the past few days, I believe it is clear that a national right to carry law is necessary, even mandatory.

The shooting at the Westwoods Mall left 8 citizens dead (not counting the shooter). If the mall had not posted the property as a “gun free zone”, the death toll may have been lower as a law abiding citizen may have had the opportunity to bring the situation to an earlier end. Omaha police responded in 6 minutes, which is not bad for a large city, but even that was too late as the shooter took his own life and the nightmare was over before police even arrived on the scene.

Jeanne Assam, a parishioner at the New Life Church in Colorado, was a volunteer security guard who was able to put the shooter down before he killed anymore of the worshippers. Yes she was a former police officer, but in this capacity she was a private citizen lawfully licensed to carry a concealed weapon. This is clearly a case that demonstrates that concealed carry laws do work, and the tight controls that currently exist need to be relaxed to allow all citizens to defend themselves. In several cases (Castle Rock v. Gonzales, Deshaney v. Winnebago CTY. SOC. SERVS. DEPT.), the US Supreme Court upheld the fact that it is not law enforcements responsibility to protect its’ citizenry. If a person can’t rely on law enforcement to protect ones self and family, then one must be legally empowered to do it themselves.

I am not advocating a return to the Wild West days of old, but rather a standard law throughout the country that allows a properly licensed person to carry in all 50 states.
    Now more than ever, people need to be able to properly defend themselves, with the right to meet force with force.

When looking at Columbine, Virginia Tech, the Trolley Square Mall shooting in Salt Lake City, and the Westwoods Mall in Omaha, it is clear that "gun free zones" do not work. All they do is prevent law abiding citizens from protecting themselves as criminals’ intent on inflicting as many casualties as possible disregard these laws and signs.

Utah is one of several states that allow properly licensed college students to carry on campus, and there has not been a surge in gun-related crimes. One has to be 21 to obtain a permit, with no history of violence, mental health issues, and a host of other disqualifiers. Those who have jumped through the necessary hoops are not the ones committing gun crimes, but it could have only taken one person properly licensed to carry a concealed weapon to limit the number of casualties at Westwoods, Columbine, and VA Tech.

I urge you to help get HR. 861 moved out of committee and onto the floor for a vote. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I urge all of you to write something similar to your reps and senators as well. I am sending similar versions to both of CT's senators as well concerning S. 388.

Mike
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

good idea if enough people send such letter to the house and senate we might actualy see some progress and maybe even some national security.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    good idea

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    My letters are written, stuffed, sealed, and stamped for tomorrow's mail. I sent one to his local and national office. I also faxed one to the national office. Tomorrow I will send them from my wife. Its always nice when the family lobbies together.

I also went to the rep.'s website and copied my letter into his email.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

I disagree. I'm still not seeing why we should be pushing so hard to add another non-needed law on the books. Get the immoral and unconstitutional ones striken. Don't add more fuel to the fire. Don't give them the "power" they think they have. The more you give them, the more they're going to continue to take.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I totally think this is the wrong idea. If this is passed it will be the beginning of the end as we know it.

I have mentioned this law before in another post, and from what I can see a centralized law giving power to the federal govt and taking away from the state is totally not the right direction..

No, to this law.

while it would be nice to have our carry permits recognized nationwide, i can't agree with a bill that infringes on states' rights. sorry.

Done !

Sent mine to Congressman Randy Neugebauer of Texas.

Thanks for the most excellent format !

I guess I am going to have to send a letter urging NOT to push this bill. I am curious. It seems that there is a lot of dislike with the way the Feds run a lot of issues. Why give them the power to take away something you already have?

I have never been active in politics and law. Heck, I am still on the learning curve with the CC.

From what I have gathered so far, I would very much like to have a national CC license. Not that I do much traveling, but in the event that I do, I want to research the where I can and can not carry, rather than how to store and transport.

Insofar as the National Government meddling in State business, they do it all the time by "restricting or cutting off" federal $$$ until the state meets the National Governments demands. And if that does not work, then the legislature passes a law effectively forcing the states to comply.

I have not read the HR 861, but if it was set up as a minimal baseline requirement for issuance, background check, and the where you can, and can not carry (federally owned buildings for example as it is in CO), and still allow the individual states to add their own state related requirements and restrictions , then where is the harm. All it is doing to the states is forcing them to recognize and accept other state issued licenses. It will still be up to the individual CC holder to know their own laws, and check on the states where they might be traveling to/through for their laws.

If it is any tighter/controlling than that, then I suppose that I would have issue with it.

As it is, we are still hanging on the Supreme Court to make their decision on the 2nd. If they rule that it not for Joe citizen, only militia - now called the national guard...it's all academic.

ludicrous. just plain ridiculous.

when you hand over the power of state to the federal govt. you have already lost any battle that you might have. the power of state is what makes this country a pleasure to live in IMO.

just plain ridiculous.

goo idea... Just emailed a couple letters myself.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by *SA-XD4ME* View Post
    I guess I am going to have to send a letter urging NOT to push this bill. I am curious. It seems that there is a lot of dislike with the way the Feds run a lot of issues. Why give them the power to take away something you already have?
    I sent the letter because I currently do not have the ability to carry in all 50 states. Shortly I will have permits from CT, NH, ME, UT, & VA which covers me in 35 states, but MA, RI, NY, NJ are fairly local to me and I can't carry there.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Wolf in sheeps clothing is all i can say.

you guys are giving the wolf free rain over you flock. if a state doesn't want you to carry then deal with it or move. if you can carry in your home state then be proud and do it.

do not ruin it for the rest of us by your selfishness.

how many promises, or bill get amended for the worse. once you get the power you can do anything you want with it. you better think long term, and not just short term. this is a foot in the door to federal gun control.. mark my words! and you guys are just handing it over.

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    Here is the body of a letter sent to my US Representative concerning HR 861: National Right to Carry Reciprocity Act

Dear Representative xxxxxxxx,

I am one of your constituents living in xxxxxxxx, CT and I am writing to you today concerning H.R. 861: National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2007.

In the aftermath of the three shootings over the past few days, I believe it is clear that a national right to carry law is necessary, even mandatory.

The shooting at the Westwoods Mall left 8 citizens dead (not counting the shooter). If the mall had not posted the property as a “gun free zone”, the death toll may have been lower as a law abiding citizen may have had the opportunity to bring the situation to an earlier end. Omaha police responded in 6 minutes, which is not bad for a large city, but even that was too late as the shooter took his own life and the nightmare was over before police even arrived on the scene.

Jeanne Assam, a parishioner at the New Life Church in Colorado, was a volunteer security guard who was able to put the shooter down before he killed anymore of the worshippers. Yes she was a former police officer, but in this capacity she was a private citizen lawfully licensed to carry a concealed weapon. This is clearly a case that demonstrates that concealed carry laws do work, and the tight controls that currently exist need to be relaxed to allow all citizens to defend themselves. In several cases (Castle Rock v. Gonzales, Deshaney v. Winnebago CTY. SOC. SERVS. DEPT.), the US Supreme Court upheld the fact that it is not law enforcements responsibility to protect its’ citizenry. If a person can’t rely on law enforcement to protect ones self and family, then one must be legally empowered to do it themselves.

I am not advocating a return to the Wild West days of old, but rather a standard law throughout the country that allows a properly licensed person to carry in all 50 states.
    Now more than ever, people need to be able to properly defend themselves, with the right to meet force with force.

When looking at Columbine, Virginia Tech, the Trolley Square Mall shooting in Salt Lake City, and the Westwoods Mall in Omaha, it is clear that "gun free zones" do not work. All they do is prevent law abiding citizens from protecting themselves as criminals’ intent on inflicting as many casualties as possible disregard these laws and signs.

Utah is one of several states that allow properly licensed college students to carry on campus, and there has not been a surge in gun-related crimes. One has to be 21 to obtain a permit, with no history of violence, mental health issues, and a host of other disqualifiers. Those who have jumped through the necessary hoops are not the ones committing gun crimes, but it could have only taken one person properly licensed to carry a concealed weapon to limit the number of casualties at Westwoods, Columbine, and VA Tech.

I urge you to help get HR. 861 moved out of committee and onto the floor for a vote. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

Sincerely,

xxxxxxxxxxxx

I urge all of you to write something similar to your reps and senators as well. I am sending similar versions to both of CT's senators as well concerning S. 388.

Mike
    Good letter but I have one correction. We aren't abut to return to the days of the wild west. Things now are worse than they ever were back then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links