Great LEO Encounter - Page 2

Great LEO Encounter

This is a discussion on Great LEO Encounter within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Glad all went well with the LEOs that were there. wyo-man...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Glad all went well with the LEOs that were there.

wyo-man

Talking why?

Just curious....

If you were simply there to check on your mother in law, why tell the cops your carrying?
    Cheers,

Johnny Rebel

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

The law in OK states you must notify anytime you come in contact. I'm not sure why I'm getting asked this question. It's the law the way I read it and I was covering my butt.
    God Bless America!!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Here is 21 O.S. 1290.8 reads: "C. It shall be unlawful for any person to fail or refuse to identify the fact that the person is in actual possession of a concealed handgun pursuant to the authority of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act when the person first comes into contact with any law enforcement officer of this state or its political subdivisions or a federal law enforcement officer during the course of any arrest, detainment, or routine traffic stop."

So the traffic stop turned out to be an accident. Are we really going to question my choice? I, again for the sake of it, I thought I was doing the right thing. I also side w/ SnowDoctor on this. What would the LEO have done if I had printed while working on my mother in laws van? In my eyes I made the right choice and am not worried about it. I started this thread to tell of the nice encounter I had, thats all.
    God Bless America!!

I understand not saying anything to the LEO in line behind me at the 7-11 but oh well.
    God Bless America!!

Excellent professionals.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    So the traffic stop turned out to be an accident. Are we really going to question my choice? I, again for the sake of it, I thought I was doing the right thing. I also side w/ SnowDoctor on this. What would the LEO have done if I had printed while working on my mother in laws van? In my eyes I made the right choice and am not worried about it. I started this thread to tell of the nice encounter I had, thats all.
    No reason to get defensive Derrin...just clarifying. You are not the only person on this site nor do I believe anybody is 'attacking' you. You made what you thought was the right call...and it turned out well for you. Since others frequent this site...it is important to have the written law versus a perception. "I think" or what one perceives as the law can get and have gotten people in trouble.

Personally, I would not have done what you did...and would of been within the law to do so. But that is my decision...and in no way condems yours. I am glad it turned out well for you.

Rick

Bandit383, I'm sorry If I came off rude or defensive. It' mostly has to do with the wife yelling about something in the background! HA! I understand the point you were trying to get across. I was trying to get my side out just as you were. I apoligize if it came out rude to you or anyone else.

Stay Safe
    God Bless America!!

Here in Florida we are not required to notify an LEO at all (unless we are asked)! Although it will help a little if they are told and most likely will let you go with a warning!
    SigP226, SigP232SS, GLock 27, Glock 23, M&P9C, M&P 40C, Tika T3 .308, New England Rifle .17 HMR. DPMS AR-10 .308, Mossberg 500, Bersa .380, Olympic Arms AR15 Pistol, Kimber CDP2 Ultra, Kimber CDP2 compact, S&W 432pd,CX4 storm .40

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Derrin...until I am proved wrong...LEO are the good guys, just like you and I. I will inform out of courtesy...not the written law, no matter what state I am in.
    If you respect them, you will receive respect back...and like I said if I am ever proved otherwise, I will post it here.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

Senior Member Array the_fallguy's Avatar
    That's encouraging. Thanks for the report.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
    Where self preservation is concerned, if you're not cheating, your not trying...

Quote Originally Posted by Derrin33 View Post
    So the traffic stop turned out to be an accident. Are we really going to question my choice?
    Actually yes, don't take that as a bad thing, because your choice might have been the best thing, and it sounds like you did make the right choice. When we carry, we must question all of actions, its only when we question our actions that we find better solutions, and new ways of thinking!

Question actions - yes, disagree with actions - no.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdoctor View Post
    Derrin...until I am proved wrong...LEO are the good guys, just like you and I. I will inform out of courtesy...not the written law, no matter what state I am in.
    If you respect them, you will receive respect back...and like I said if I am ever proved otherwise, I will post it here.
    I agree. You don't know what situations the LEO has recently been involved with. Maybe he/she has recently dealt with an armed suspect of some type. Or been in a shooting incident. They may be overly cautions of armed civilians. Your identifying yourself as carrying may go a long way to lowering their stress level.

Whenever I'm stopped (not often), I keep my hands on the steering wheel until the officer asks for my license. If at night I turn on the ceiling light.

In Missouri our ccw is tied to our driver's license. So, as soon the LEO as runs mine he/she will know I may be carrying. I may as well ease his/her mind right up front and let them know.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links