Question on carrying while traveling on vacation

This is a discussion on Question on carrying while traveling on vacation within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Alright, have been doing some reading and think I've come to a correct conclusion but wanted to make sure my logic is right. I'm a ...

Thread: Question on carrying while traveling on vacation

Question on carrying while traveling on vacation

Alright, have been doing some reading and think I've come to a correct conclusion but wanted to make sure my logic is right.

I'm a FL resident and am waiting on my concealed permit which should be arriving in the next week or so. During the Christmas break the wife and I are taking a little trip and driving up to North Carolina for some skiing and will be driving through Florida (of course), Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina.

Out of those the only state that doesn't recognize FL's CWP is South Carolina, but after some reading it seems that they allow you to keep a loaded handgun in a closed glovebox even without a permit.

So if I'm correct, is it alright for me to carry my gun concealed on me while driving through Florida and Georgia, and then when I get to South Carolina just keep the gun in the glovebox, and then can conceal again once I'm in North Carolina?

I've looked at the Federal provisions for interstate travel, but in this case it doesn't seem like that's applicable since I'll be relying on the concealed carry laws of the individual states?

I guess only other question was interstate rest stops.... are they just treated like any other "public" place in these states in regards to concealed carry? With the exception of S. Carolina where I wouldn't be able to anyway.

Thanks in advance for any insight. Can be a little tricky to sort out what is what, especially when trying to reconcile what you read on different forums vs. what the law actually says.

2. Remove Ads

I would think that federal "peaceable journey" rules would apply here, as long as you are moving through SC.

Senior Member Array f8lranger4x4's Avatar
    I would look it up on handgunlaw.us and make sure. Also if you go to google and type in south carolina law code u can search their for a better answer. Also If their is someone here from South Carolina they can probably answer better than I can.

Quote Originally Posted by nlax2011 View Post
    Alright, have been doing some reading and think I've come to a correct conclusion but wanted to make sure my logic is right.

I'm a FL resident and am waiting on my concealed permit which should be arriving in the next week or so. During the Christmas break the wife and I are taking a little trip and driving up to North Carolina for some skiing and will be driving through Florida (of course), Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina.

Out of those the only state that doesn't recognize FL's CWP is South Carolina, but after some reading it seems that they allow you to keep a loaded handgun in a closed glovebox even without a permit.

So if I'm correct, is it alright for me to carry my gun concealed on me while driving through Florida and Georgia, and then when I get to South Carolina just keep the gun in the glovebox, and then can conceal again once I'm in North Carolina?
    From what I know, this sounds like a good plan..

SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(1) regular, salaried law enforcement officers, and reserve police officers of a state agency, municipality, or county of the State, uncompensated Governor's constables, law enforcement officers of the federal government or other states when they are carrying out official duties while in this State, deputy enforcement officers of the Natural Resources Enforcement Division of the Department of Natural Resources, and retired commissioned law enforcement officers employed as private detectives or private investigators;

(2) members of the Armed Forces of the United States, the National Guard, organized reserves, or the State Militia when on duty;

(3) members, or their invited guests, of organizations authorized by law to purchase or receive firearms from the United States or this State or regularly enrolled members, or their invited guests, of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting or collecting modern and antique firearms while these members, or their invited guests, are at or going to or from their places of target practice or their shows and exhibits;

(4) licensed hunters or fishermen who are engaged in hunting or fishing or going to or from their places of hunting or fishing while in a vehicle or on foot;

(5) a person regularly engaged in the business of manufacturing, repairing, repossessing, or dealing in firearms, or the agent or representative of this person, while possessing, using, or carrying a handgun in the usual or ordinary course of the business;

(6) guards authorized by law to possess handguns and engaged in protection of property of the United States or any agency of the United States;

(7) members of authorized military or civil organizations while parading or when going to and from the places of meeting of their respective organizations;

(8) a person in his home or upon his real property or a person who has the permission of the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of the home or real property;

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;

(10) a person carrying a handgun unloaded and in a secure wrapper from the place of purchase to his home or fixed place of business or while in the process of changing or moving one's residence or changing or moving one's fixed place of business;

(11) a prison guard while engaged in his official duties;

(12) a person who is granted a permit under provision of law by the State Law Enforcement Division to carry a handgun about his person, under conditions set forth in the permit, and while transferring the handgun between the permittee's person and a location specified in item (9);

(13) the owner or the person in legal possession or the person in legal control of a fixed place of business, while at the fixed place of business, and the employee of a fixed place of business, other than a business subject to Section 16-23-465, while at the place of business; however, the employee may exercise this privilege only after: (a) acquiring a permit pursuant to item (12), and (b) obtaining the permission of the owner or person in legal control or legal possession of the premises;

(14) a person engaged in firearms-related activities while on the premises of a fixed place of business which conducts, as a regular course of its business, activities related to sale, repair, pawn, firearms training, or use of firearms, unless the premises is posted with a sign limiting possession of firearms to holders of permits issued pursuant to item (12);

(15) a person while transferring a handgun directly from or to a vehicle and a location specified in this section where one may legally possess the handgun.

(16) Any person on a motorcycle when the pistol is secured in a closed saddlebag or other similar closed accessory container attached, whether permanently or temporarily, to the motorcycle.

http://www.scstatehouse.net/CODE/t16c023.htm

So it looks like u have to have the Glove Box locked.

Quote Originally Posted by f8lranger4x4 View Post
    [I]SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions.

It is unlawful for anyone to carry about the person any handgun, whether concealed or not, except as follows, unless otherwise specifically prohibited by law:

(9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance;

http://www.scstatehouse.net/CODE/t16c023.htm

So it looks like u have to have the Glove Box locked.

F8l,

I don't see anything about locked. Closed, yes. Locked, no?

Am I missing something?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    F8l,

I don't see anything about locked. Closed, yes. Locked, no?

Am I missing something?
    Nope, doesn't have to be locked, just closed. If you get pulled over by LE, just be sure to inform the officer of the presence of the gun in the glove box before opening the box. It's not required, but would make your life easier.

Quote Originally Posted by SCGuy View Post
    Nope, doesn't have to be locked, just closed. If you get pulled over by LE, just be sure to inform the officer of the presence of the gun in the glove box before opening the box. It's not required, but would make your life easier.
    Correct, in glovebox or console, doesn't have to be locked or even have a lock on it and does not have to be unloaded. Good comment about telling the cop, I would hate to be reaching for the registration and he think I was going for a gun.

You can also carry in the trunk with no problem.

Cool, thanks guys!

During my study breaks I've been going back and forth trying to decipher all these laws and nail down what was ok where. I think I've got a basic handle on it for now, thanks to the links ya'll have shared on here....especially the handgunlaw.us
    and http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/.

Your original assumption was correct...

Enjoy your trip...

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sorry I read into it wrong

secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle;
    According to the local Head of the Highway Patrol this means some kind of bag with a "latch" on it which could even be a zipper and luggage compartment usally means the area behind the last seat in a SUV that doesn't have a trunk.

I use to hunt for years in South Carolina, long before any states started accepting each others CCL. Over the 10 years I hunted there I got stopped once for speeding, 70 in a 55 backcountry road. The trooper asked to search my truck, I said sure, and he asked me to step outside. I waited for him sitting on the tailgate. He found my Glock 19 in the center counsel, and seemed upset. Stating in SC that gun was considered concealed weapon. I told him there was a loaded rifle in the back floor as well, and then showed him my Florida CCL. He then said OH, you should have told me, and dropped it with that. But, he did give me a ticket for 9 MPH over the speed limit, with was a fine of $45 dollars.

For the most part, South Carolina is just like any other southern state, and you wonít have a problem. If you stop there, leave your sidearm in the glove box. But other than that, donít worry about it, and have a great vacation.

FYI: itís also my understanding SC is trying to work out its differences in there CCL program so they came come into the fold with the other 35 states that precipitate in accepting each others CCL.

Links