questions about selling gun privately

This is a discussion on questions about selling gun privately within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello everyone, I need some guidance on selling one of my handguns locally. If you guys can telll me how or where to look as ...

Thread: questions about selling gun privately

Hello everyone,
    I need some guidance on selling one of my handguns locally. If you guys can telll me how or where to look as far as selling privately.
    I assume the person I am selling to would have to have a concealed weapons permit so I know they are legal to own a gun. Anything else I need to do to make it legal? Your help is appreciated
    Also, I live in Florida
    Last edited by Bowie; December 12th, 2007 at 07:03 PM.
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

This is a great question as I just went thru this.
    I don't know exactly what the FL laws state about selling/purchasing the gun to an in state person and hopefully someone will help out here but if you sell it to someone out of state please read the following:
    I live in SC and the seller in NC.
    I was told by reliable people (including my local range) that I could drive into NC and purchase the gun from a private individual.
    I even called SLED (SC Law Enforcement Div) and was basically told the same thing as SC doesn't officially register handguns. They stated that they would be more concerned about the sellers laws in NC. Now there are state laws and then there are Federal laws. Please see the following ATF website which basically states that if you sell out of state the transaction s/b handled thru a FFL dealer. See B3 & B16.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b3

I rarely go beyond; you give me cash and I give you gun. Luckily when selling guns on the web I know who most locals are.

If it makes you feeling more protected, you could ask if they can legally own a gun and then have them sign a bill of sale for your records.

The problem with requiring a CCW permit is a lot of people do not have one.

You could sell out of state by shipping to their FFL, then they will have to fill out paperwork to own the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by jframe38 View Post
    This is a great question as I just went thru this.
    I don't know exactly what the FL laws state about selling/purchasing the gun to an in state person and hopefully someone will help out here but if you sell it to someone out of state please read the following:
    I live in SC and the seller in NC.
    I was told by reliable people (including my local range) that I could drive into NC and purchase the gun from a private individual.
    I even called SLED (SC Law Enforcement Div) and was basically told the same thing as SC doesn't officially register handguns. They stated that they would be more concerned about the sellers laws in NC. Now there are state laws and then there are Federal laws. Please see the following ATF website which basically states that if you sell out of state the transaction s/b handled thru a FFL dealer. See B3 & B16.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b3
    Wow, can't believe that a law enforcement agency told you that.

Any gun sales outside of your own state MUST go through an FFL in the purchasers state.

go to a local gun store and have them do the transfer paperwork around here it cost like 25 dollars but it relieves you of any responsibility of the paperwork.

I poop u not! Just yesterday. Basically we would only need a bill of sale signed by both parties.
    It just didn't sit right w/me.
    I had a lot of help from a forum member who made me aware of the website.

Thanks for the responses.

I rarely go beyond; you give me cash and I give you gun. Luckily when selling guns on the web I know who most locals are.

If it makes you feeling more protected, you could ask if they can legally own a gun and then have them sign a bill of sale for your records.
    So is no paperwork required when selling legally or are the below actions usually the normal procedure?

go to a local gun store and have them do the transfer paperwork around here it cost like 25 dollars but it relieves you of any responsibility of the paperwork.
    Does some paperwork need to be done and more importantly a background check?

Thanks
    Glock 26 4gen, H&K USPc, S&W 642, Wilson Combat 1911 CQB

Only handguns must be sent to your homestate FFL if purchasing out of state. In most states, you can purchase a long gun from an FFL if your not a resident. As a non-state resident, you must use an FFL either in person for long guns since you can purchase them in person, or have the handgun sent to an FFL in your home state to take possession..
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    If you are selling to someone in your own state it is just like selling anything else unless you have reason to believe they cannot own a gun. Of course your state can have their own rules that are more restrictive but Florida doesn't go out of their way to make life difficult on gun owners.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Sponsored Links