States to Retire In? (dupes combined) - Page 5

States to Retire In? (dupes combined)

This is a discussion on States to Retire In? (dupes combined) within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; so, no one wants to come retire in Massachusetts ?...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    so, no one wants to come retire in Massachusetts ?

Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post

Hard choice. Don't move here, winter's suck. PS: I love it up here.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

No one has said New Hampshire? I thought it was just recently named one of the top five retirement states....

No state taxes....yeah semi-high property tax, but if you don't have kids you can pick a city that don't have the best schools and taxes will be lower.

Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    Hey, it's better than Illinois and Wisconsin, but not by much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Yep, and I understand there are no income tax either, and perhaps no sales tax?
    No income tax. No state sales tax. However, municipalities can enact one. Anchorage doesn't have one yet, but they keep bringing it up on the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Interesting. I'm sure they get you some other way. High road tax, property tax, $300 to register a vehicle, etc.
    Not really. There is no estate tax, no road tax, property taxes are not too bad ($1,163 in municipalities, excluding oil & gas properties). I think it cost me $100 or $110 to register my pickup for 2 years.

http://www.bankrate.com/yho/itax/edi...te_tax_Aka.asp

Downsides:
    Cost of living--Obviously, the further you are from civilization, the more it costs. (Most of the stuff you need to live has to be shipped in.)

Cold--Varies in different areas. We moved there from Abilene, TX and didn't think the Anchorage basin was that bad in the winter. Fairbanks is a whole different animal. It's been said by more than one person that you live in AK until you get tired of the winters.

Distance--Family and friends are a long plane ride away. Getting your junk there (without your job paying for it) would be a hassle.

We'd go back in a heartbeat, but maybe not for retirement.

Hope this helps,
    Herk

Smile KY Fast Women & Beautiful Women?

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Welcome to the Bluegrass State, where we have fast women and beautiful horses. C'mon home to KY.

Coffeecup: I've been to KY. Some of your horses are more beautiful than your fast women! Oh that's sheep!

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Other good points:
    -vehicle carry is legal without a permit anywhere in the state
    -no CCW restrictions in restaurants serving alcohol, or even in bars.
    I'm not so sure being allowed to carry a weapon in a bar is in any way positive...
    Texas is the place to be...
    Texas also has vehicle carry w/out permit, cost of living is low, property is low(especially rural Texas), we'll secede before we let the commy demo's take our guns, and no state income tax...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

The mountain west is about as gun-friendly as you're going to find in America. Castle doctrine pretty much everywhere, CCW's are all shall-issue, open-carry is legal, low tax base, lots of wide open spaces. If I were in your position, I'd be looking at AZ, NV, UT, WY, ID, MT, Colorado and New Mexico are OK, but tend on the more liberal side of the political climate despite having decent gun laws.

WA and OR are both pretty good too with a ton of geographical diversity. If you want the coast, mountains, desert, rolling plains you can find a part of the state that has it.

Oklahoma has castle doctrine, Stand your ground, Shall Issue and no obnoxious state laws about guns. State has preemption about any firearms laws Class III/NFA ok. Low cost of living and even our democrats are for the most part slightly to the right of Reagan. and we have some very tough anti-illegal immigrant laws. So I'd suggest Texas since we got enough "foreigners" here now.
    "Of all the so-called natural human rights that have ever been invented,
    liberty is least likely to be cheap and is never free of cost."

Robert A. Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
    Colorado has good CCW laws, and a very explicit castle doctrine regarding one's living space. Within the dwelling, an intruder is presumed by statute to be a lethal threat and can be met with lethal force. I have read of instances of such shootings in the local news, and no one has been prosecuted (except one guy who shot his room-mate).

Other good points:
    -vehicle carry is legal without a permit anywhere in the state
    -no CCW restrictions in restaurants serving alcohol, or even in bars.
    +1 for my state of Colorado!! We can carry in any University that doesn't expell you (CSU for now).

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    Vermont may have no restrictions, and that is fine if a person intends to stay at home. Although Vermont is the 2nd largest of the six New England states, and ranks 43rd in size among the 50 states, the size of Vermont is smaller of than many of Texas 254 counties. Also, Texas has the gun-friendly neighbors of New Mexico Oklahoma, Louisiana, Arkansas, which states are also adjacent to other gun-friendly states.

Texas welcomes you![As long as you are not swimming across the Rio Grande].
    Texas doesn't allow open carry or carry in bars.

Quote Originally Posted by kentuckycarry View Post
    Ya'll come see us in Kentucky. We're real gun friendly here. Castle Doctrine is top knotch. Pretty centrally located. Easy to get a permit and we honor any other state's permit.
    KY is my home state(Greenup Co.) but it does allow carry in any est. that makes >51% income from alcohol. How do I know what their cash flow statement says?????

Well if you like the cold..... Alaska!! you have a PFD , after you live there for 1 yr you get it! "Last YR we got over a thousand bucks per person last yr" .. you dont need a CCW to carry concealed. no state tax, cost of living is ok. Houses are cheep in the rule. vehicle reg. was $200.00 for my 2006 SUV for 2 yrs. + you said you like the cold. And the view is WOW I LOVE IT!!! SO why would you not want to live in Alaska??

Quote Originally Posted by rljohns View Post
    ...any est. that makes >51% income from alcohol. How do I know what their cash flow statement says?????
    There is a big 51% sign on the door in red letters...(5" letters to be exact")
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Had to get out the vote for New Mexico, Land of Entrapment. Great for retirement, CCW except bars, Govt. buildings. Open carry otherwise, and your vehicle is your private property. You can carry what you want in it. Castle Doctrine missed passage last year, but will be up again this year, anyway, local PD told my dad when he started his business, "if you shoot 'em outside, drag 'em back inside". Golf year round, snow skiing if you wish. Decent fishing, both warm and cold water. Mountains, desert....but it's a dry heat.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    There is a big 51% sign on the door in red letters...(5" letters to be exact")
    That would be nice. It's generaly interpreted to be places that are not bars basically. Places like Applebees are okay.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links