Bad People For CCW

This is a discussion on Bad People For CCW within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Only a handful of people know I CCW. Close family and my 2 best friends that I've known since we were 4. One of my ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad People For CCW

Bad People For CCW

Only a handful of people know I CCW. Close family and my 2 best friends that I've known since we were 4. One of my friends ended up telling his fiancee. She all of a sudden started bombing me with questions because she wants to carry. She should not be allowed to carry or own a gun for that matter. I am not the police and cannot deny her that right. I am just saying... she would do something very stupid and it would be on the news. It would be bad for the ccw comunity. Just think mentality of a 5th grader on top of some major anger issues. What should I do? Or can I do anything?
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

2. Remove Ads

Give her the url to some of the common forums including this one so she can get a feel for the general ideologies and characteristics of the carrying community. let her decide if she is a good candidate. Suggest maybe anger management classes although maybe from a different local.:)

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Maybe she needs to be made aware of her "anger" issues...

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    Only a handful of people know I CCW. Close family and my 2 best friends that I've known since we were 4. One of my friends ended up telling his fiancee. She all of a sudden started bombing me with questions because she wants to carry. She should not be allowed to carry or own a gun for that matter. I am not the police and cannot deny her that right. I am just saying... she would do something very stupid and it would be on the news. It would be bad for the ccw comunity. Just think mentality of a 5th grader on top of some major anger issues. What should I do? Or can I do anything?
    First of all, I understand your legitimate concern in this matter. Some individuals need to be reminded that it is a grave responsibility to carry, and she should solve her emotionally unstable disposition before she actually begins carrying a firearm.

However, I can clearly recall - and it still makes me bristle - reading a letter by a lawyer in our local rag that only the privileged elite should be allowed to carry.

I will also never forget the first time I tried to obtain a permit to carry from my local police. They smugly refused to issue the paperwork because they claimed "You don't need to carry a gun". Of course not. I was just a poor man fresh out of the army.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

A concealed carry class might help her. It will teach her about safety and the proper mindset. Or you could just tell her what you honestly think.

Lead Moderator
    while I understand your concern, what credentials do you have to make this judgment? some people will surprise you in how they change with a CCW permit. If this person has not been in jail yet for anger issues, is it likely they will continue to keep a clean record? unless there is a good reason for the PD to deny the permit you probably cannot stop em form getting one.
    Maybe a better approach might be a good class or classes to help train.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I would be honest with her. You just might save her a lot of trouble... once she is ready, then get her some proper reading material from the experts on the subject, not us clowns on the net.
    Then once she has digested all that and still wants to go forward, get her into a handgun class or two. (not the CCW course, that should be the last step)
    "Just blame Sixto"

If your friend is game, suggest he pick up a used copy of Massad Ayoob's In The Gravest Extreme, which can be found for ~$10 or so. It covers all of the major questions one needs to answer in order to understand the pros, cons and responsibility of carrying a firearm for defense. If Ayoob's wisdom cannot help her see both sides of the question, then nothing you say will help.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

As previously stated, You have to be honest with her and get her to take a class. Then talk to her about it to get her new perspective.
    Life is too short, stop to smell the roses and don't let anyone take it away from you!

+1 for getting her to read "in the gravest extreme."
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    I hear ya. I just had a conversation with a family member just days ago about getting his permit. He has a really bad temper and I really dont believe he can control it. I asked him what he would do if he had a gun with him, someone bumped into his wife and said "watch where in the hell you are going". I said "are you able to walk away from that? He admitted he probably couldn't, he'd want to whip his butt. He's gonna get his permit no matter what anyone says because he's the type that would think its "cool". He just bought his first gun ( he's 60) 2 months ago. His wife does not want him to carry and she looked happy that I was warning him on how serious it was. He doesn't know I carry.
    Just because he has the right to carry, doesn't mean he should. I can see him ending up in jail. I'm sure he'll tell everyone he knows he carry's too..you know, because "it's cool"..

Agree with SIXTO on this. Multiple steps to make her aware of the resposibility. I work with a good female friend that after some serious talks decided not to apply for different reasons.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I'm not sure what you are defining as "anger issues", etc. that make you feel she should not be allowed to own a gun but if she is old enough for a permit and has not committed a crime that would disqualify her then I don't understand the problem you would have with her owning a gun. Do you think she should be allowed to own silverware, sporting equipment, etc.? If she truly has the mentality of a fifth grader and major anger issues on top of that then that should have already manifest itself in some way, like someone being hit with a golf club or something. Don't you think?

I remember a scene from All In The Family where Archie Bunker's daughter says something like "Doesn't it bother you that (some number) of people were killed by guns last year" and Archie's response is "Would it make you feel any better if they were pushed out of windows?". To me, this argument defines the disconnect in the gun control position! If someone has the intent to do harm to another person they will, and they will do that harm with whatever "weapon" they can get their hands on, even if that is a second story window.

If this girl truly has major anger issues and is incapable of understanding the bad consequences of what she does (mentality of a fifth grader) then which would you prefer, her shooting at you with a handgun or her running you down with her car? I'd choose the gun because she just might miss with the gun! Unfortunately, there is no waiting period/background check for the purchase of a car.

I have heard people say before, I don't think so-and-so should own a gun, they are a danger to others or themselves. Well if that's true, don't you think you should be calling someone? Get them evaluated/committed to some sort of mental hospital? If they are a danger to themselves or others with a gun, aren't they still a danger with a knife, car, scissors, shoelace, tennis racket, golf club, letter opener, limb of a tree, brick, fireplace poker, etc.?

I say it all the time! The presence of the gun does not make a crime more likely, but the presence of a criminal mindset does!

Added this:
    Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    My buddy and her often argue to the point of it getting physical. I have seen them slap, punch, choke, hit, yank hair and one ocasion she hit him with her car.
    I just don't want anything more serious to happen.
    And they are still engaged to be married? I don't get people sometimes.
    Last edited by Tye_Defender; December 13th, 2007 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Read a later post.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Explaining the issues to the individual is definitely a good idea, as is providing some reference/reading material. A class is also a great idea, and I strongly recommend any who ask me about licensing.

On a side note, it's refreshing to hear folks actually admit that some people just may not be cut out for carrying. Balanced opinions and debate is what keeps me coming back to this site (that and the free cake).
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

My buddy and her often argue to the point of it getting physical. I have seen them slap, punch, choke, hit, yank hair and one ocasion she hit him with her car.
    I just don't want anything more serious to happen.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links