"Are you packin'?" -- Too many people know that I carry. :(

This is a discussion on "Are you packin'?" -- Too many people know that I carry. :( within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work at a pretty laid back office. I love everyone there -- annoyances and all. :) My first day in the office, the secretary ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: "Are you packin'?" -- Too many people know that I carry. :(

I work at a pretty laid back office. I love everyone there -- annoyances and all. :)

My first day in the office, the secretary told me that she carried in a fanny pack on the job. I thought "excellent! I'm going to like this place." So we talked about holsters and such for a bit but I never offered that I carry.

Years later, I sat down next to a co-worker and, through a poor choice in attire and being too comfortable, my firearm was exposed. This co-worker (lets call him Joe) seemed to take it in stride. We talked about CWPs and firearms safety for a bit and went back to work. Everything was cool...

Until over the next few months, he began randomly asking me if I was "packing". We'd be assembling for lunch and as everyone was gathering, he'd ask, "hey! are you packin'?" I might be walking by his desk and he'd ask, "are you packin'?" We use pretty off color humor at the office so to I'd usually say, "yes Joe, I have a huge ," just to deflate him.

The rumor mill being what it is, now everyone knows I carry. Luckily I work in a very relaxed office and I don't think this is an issue.

I don't think he means any harm -- I just don't think he understands that that I'd rather not be outed every other day. I also think he might be a little interested in guns. I've since talked with him about it. I even offered to take him to the range which he is eager to do. As a result, he hasn't done the "are you packin'" thing in a long while.

The lesson I learned from this is that once one person knows, you have no control over who else knows. Every time I see Thumper's "ALWAYS carry! NEVER tell!" signature I think about Joe.
    Last edited by rocky; December 13th, 2007 at 08:01 PM. Reason: language

Quote Originally Posted by ruertar View Post
    I work at a pretty laid back office. I love everyone there -- annoyances and all. :)

My first day on the job, the secretary told me that she carried in a fanny pack on the job. I thought "excellent! I'm going to like this place." So we talked about holsters and such for a bit but I never offered that I carry.

Years later, I sat down next to a co-worker and, through a poor choice in attire and being too comfortable, my firearm was exposed. This co-worker (lets call him Joe) seemed to take it in stride. We talked about CWPs and firearms safety for a bit and went back to work. Everything was cool...

Until over the next few months, he began randomly asking me if I was "packing". We'd be assembling for lunch and as everyone was gathering, he'd ask, "hey! are you packin'?" I might be walking by his desk and he'd ask, "are you packin'?" We use pretty off color humor at the office so to I'd usually say, "yes Joe, I have a huge," just to deflate him.

The rumor mill being what it is, now everyone knows I carry. Luckily I work in a very relaxed office and I don't think this is an issue.

I don't think he means any harm -- I just don't think he understands that that I'd rather not be outed every other day. I also think he might be a little interested in guns. I've since talked with him about it. I even offered to take him to the range which he is eager to do. As a result, he hasn't done the "are you packin'" thing in a long while.

The lesson I learned from this is that once one person knows, you have no control over who else knows. Every time I see Thumpers "ALWAYS carry! NEVER tell!" signature I think about Joe.
    Well, at least they're all ok with it. That's a plus...BTW where you work? Are they hiring system engineers?
    Lightweb likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I do believe you missed an opportunity to take him aside and have a visit about discretion. Its not to late tho , have that visit now , and the natural course of job attrition will see to it that a new crop dont know , as well as it will be old hat and not news soon enough .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Have you ever just told him straight up that you would prefer not to have your CCW status announced in public?
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Someone usually tells someone else and the ball keeps rolling.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Redneck and Ridurall have it.

The next time he asks pull him to the side and have a little chat about your CCW status and the fact that you do not want it announced or even brought up. Explain why.

I'm sure he will understand and if he doesn't grab something and whack him over the head.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    If I read the post correctly, you've already asked him not to mention it anymore and he has complied. Sounds like you handled things well, and it's always good to bring another person into the group.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    So what if they know?
    When my daughter worked, she was the one that walked all the secretaries out to their cars if they worked past dark.
    It's not like you're a closet pervert.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

"yes Joe, I have a huge 'appendage',"

I am telling you the truth when I say that I was taking a drink of coffee when I read that and choked for almost a solid minute! I have not laughed that hard for some time!

Goodness that was funny.
    Last edited by TN_Mike; December 13th, 2007 at 07:41 PM.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    In your case, you work in an environment that is OK with CCW.

Most people don't. We all understand the reasons for discretion......we don't want to scare the & don't want undue attention on ourselves,....especially in a place that could turn out to be hostile to CCW..

Taking that into account, let's look at this in a slightly different way......................

I, like you, am uncomfortable when people draw attention to it.......BUT, what are the real reasons we don't like it? Here are a couple that come to mind:

-We don't want to be 'embarrassed' by being outed. Why should this embarrass us? We are not committing a crime or a sin. We're participating in a God-given Right enumerated in the Bill of Rights. We shouldn't be uncomfortable or embarrassed....(But we are!)

-We're afraid of being made fun of, or ostracized for our 'beliefs'. Again it shouldn't bother us.....(But it does.)

-We're afraid it will effect our job. We might get fired or held back. This is the only real valid reason that I see....but it isn't OUR problem, it is the problem of the ones on the other side. (...so we cower in the corner, although we are armed...)

There maybe some other minor reasons that come into play...those will vary person to person. So it seems to come down to our fear of how others 'see' us............

We really shouldn't be ashamed of carrying, but that's how we act........
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by ruertar View Post
    I might be walking by his desk and he'd ask, "are you packin'?" We use pretty off color humor at the office so to I'd usually say, "yes Joe, I have a huge ," just to deflate him.
    Another answer "Although I have a permit, it is damned uncomfortable, so I have started leaving it at home."

Just don't mention when you left it home, whether you left it home today, or whether you will have it in the future. And if pressed further it's "I'm not sure, maybe never" or some other innocuous phrase.

Spouse, best friend and two relatives who live on the otherside of the country know ... shoot at their range when visiting.

The best friend is one too many.
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

i will let some people know. but only if they either carry, or are very very ok with it. and then i make sure to tell them to keep their mouths shut!!!

"No, Joe. I'm just real happy to see you!"
    pittypat21 likes this.

I think people worry too much about who knows they pack. However, I live in an area where it's not really looked at strange. I dunno, YMMV.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links