Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition

This is a discussion on Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.townhall.com/columnists/C...the_ammunition I have been waiting for this to happen. For years we have witnessed the carnage when innocents were mowed down at schools, colleges, shopping ...

Thread: Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/C...the_ammunition

I have been waiting for this to happen. For years we have witnessed the carnage when innocents were mowed down at schools, colleges, shopping malls and post offices. The unarmed (disarmed?) were easy targets for crazed gunmen armed with grievances, weapons and ammunition.

Now someone has shot back, probably saving many lives. All of the gun-control laws that have been passed and are still being contemplated could not have had the affect of one armed, trained and law-abiding citizen on the scene like 42-year-old Jeanne Assam, a volunteer security guard at the New Life Church in Colorado Springs. The gunman, 24-year-old Mathew Murray, had been expelled from the Youth With a Mission (YWAM) organization for health reasons, according to officials. Authorities say Murray vowed revenge in several Web postings, which copied abundantly from the manifesto written by Columbine High School killer Eric Harris before the 1999 school massacre.

Jeanne Assam, the security guard who shot and killed an attacker at the New Life church (R), shakes hands with New Life Senior Pastor Brady Boyd (L) in Colorado Springs, Colorado after a news conference December 10, 2007. A man dressed in black, wearing combat boots and holding an assault rifle and at least one handgun, opened fire in the parking lot of the vast church after Sunday services, killing one person on the spot and wounding others. A second person died later, police said.

In rants laced with profanity, Murray lashed out against Christians he said had “brought this on yourselves.” He wrote that Christians “are to blame for most of the problems in the world.” Does that qualify as a “hate crime”? Probably not as such designations are usually given only to “oppressed minorities.”

It is Assam and not the shooter who received — and deserves — most of the media attention and praise. Calm and collected at a news conference, Assam detailed her movements and decision-making after hearing shots in the parking lot outside the church. She was especially attentive to possible danger after learning of the earlier shooting during which two people were killed at the YWAM facility several miles away. After hearing shots in the church parking lot, Assam said she walked about 100 yards through a hallway, hid herself and when Murray walked in, emerged from hiding and confronted him. “I was just asking God, bottom line, this is all you,” she said. “It was so loud. … It was scary. But God was with me. I asked him to be with me. And he never left my side.”

Assam is a former Minneapolis police officer who is licensed to carry a concealed weapon. She said she had been praying about what to do with her life and had volunteered to help with security at the 10,000-member church. She said, “I wasn’t going to wait for him to do other damage. I knew what I had to do.”

The El Paso County Coroner’s Office has since determined that Murray died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound. But it doesn’t matter. With at least five guns, all that ammunition and more weapons in the car, according to police, Assam’s presence stopped Murray from killing and wounding more people inside the church, which appeared to be his intent.

Church Pastor Brady Boyd said he has a 15- to 20-member security staff because “that’s the reality of our world. I don’t think any of us grew up in churches where that was a reality, but today it is.”

Killers — ones with mental disorders, or terrorists — look for places with large gatherings to amplify their acts. That’s why in recent years they have selected targets ranging from the World Trade Center, to Columbine High School, to shopping malls and now a megachurch. On the rare occasions when an armed person has been on the scene before police arrive, such acts have been stopped before further damage could be done. When no armed person has been present, by the time the police show up the killing is usually over and the gunman has shot himself.

The point is that gun laws will not deter criminals with evil intent and police can’t be everywhere they’re needed. But killers can be stopped by law-abiding citizens with guns. As the Supreme Court considers its ruling on whether the strict gun laws in the District of Columbia are constitutional, it might remember Jeanne Assam and her courageous, proper and for now legal response to a lawless act. Though four were killed at the two locations and several others wounded, many more owe their lives to Assam, who should be the new poster woman for those who wish to preserve the right to keep and bear arms.

Cal Thomas is co-author (with Bob Beckel) of the forthcoming book, "Common Ground: How to Stop the Partisan War That is Destroying America"

Cal Thomas gets it right!
    Last edited by miklcolt45; December 13th, 2007 at 11:50 PM. Reason: extraneous material from website
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Good article, thanks for posting.

There has been quite a bit of news regarding these shootings, it seems to me, that there has been some decent coverage on the "security guard" stopping the BG at the church. Usually the news only dwells on the assult weapons/firearms, etc it doesn't seem so much this time. If anything comes good out of this I think the mall shooting showed the average Joe their vulnerability and need for adequate protection, and this was followed up by the recent church shooting where protection was available and was successfully used to end a potential massacre.

I understand that after 911 gun sales increased, I wonder if they're going to increase some again. In fact I think I'll help those stats out this w/e with a new gun purchase
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Thanks for the post, I enjoyed reading it.

many more owe their lives to Assam, who should be the new poster woman for those who wish to preserve the right to keep and bear arms.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    Great post.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Good story.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

3 Cheers for Cal Thomas; I used to read his drivel back in the late '80s amd early '90s when he was on the other side of the issue. I guess time and reality have changed his mind.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Two things I have found the media trying to pull as to down-play this woman's heroism is that she did not really kill the BG and she was former police so her training was better than the average person. To this I reply, the kill shot does not matter. She was trying to neutralize the threat and she did just that with her handgun and carry permit. Second, she was a cop 10+ years ago and while that training may have helped it was not as if it happened recently. The average person with a carry permit practices shooting more often than most police are required to. I just don't see training that old as being pertinent.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I just don't see training that old as being pertinent.
    I agree, I'm a Broadcast Engineer today but 12 years ago I was a Navy Corpsman. You want me to fix you up if you get shot or do you want a Paramedic? I'm better than nothing, but if I were you I'd choose the Paramedic.

She did what she did because of her training and mindset of today, not 10 years ago.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Thanks for the article...

Stay armed...in church...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Very good read, thanks!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Sponsored Links