Wow, talk about lame - Page 2

Wow, talk about lame

This is a discussion on Wow, talk about lame within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; And would anybody question why we need term-limits in the worst way. Z...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wow, talk about lame

Distinguished Member
    And would anybody question why we need term-limits in the worst way.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Now you know what a "canned" response looks like!

What he really said, (reading between the lines) is: I don't give a rodents behind what YOU think!
    The interns open letters and look for buzz words. They see gun, firearm, assault weapon, etc and they send that letter.

Don’t you just love politicians

I have about fifty letters from legislators in my files and they all say the same thing: nothing. The most I can hope for is that the secretary makes a tally mark "for" or "against" the issue I wrote about.

"I will keep your concerns in mind." That touches me so deeply, I just cry when I think about it.
    I went to buy some camouflage pants, but I couldn't find any.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    Lieberman probably never saw your original nor your second letter. US Senators usually have cooresponce secretaries that do 90% of the response. Some of these folks are just interns, too.

I work for a state Representative who personally reads every letter and every email that is addressed to him. One of my jobs is to look up the relevant bills or statutes so that he can respond intelligently.

The guy I used to work for would not even read his email unless I printed them out for him. He refused to read them on the computer or type a response.

So, there are good ones and bad ones. The important thing is for citizens to register to vote, learn the issues and vote. Then keep in contact with the person elected, whether you guy won or not, and let them know how you feel.

The majority really do care and try to do their best for their constituents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
    I have about fifty letters from legislators in my files and they all say the same thing: nothing. The most I can hope for is that the secretary makes a tally mark "for" or "against" the issue I wrote about.

"I will keep your concerns in mind." That touches me so deeply, I just cry when I think about it.
    My senators each have four offices, so when I get fired up I call all four . . . always asking the operator what the Senator's position is on the issue. In 100 calls it has always been "the Senator is still researching that but would like to hear your opinion." So they have to take a poll to know how to vote . . . at least I get four check marks for my position. Seems like the only job is to get reelected. -Jim
    An armed man is a citizen.
    An unarmed man is a subject.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    What in the world is wrong with our politicians???? How can they proclaim to be so smart when they are so darn dumb??
    They cater to the special interest groups instead of the American people. They may swear an oath the defend the Constititution but that is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post

The majority really do care and try to do their best for their constituents.
    If that were true, we wouldn't be in the situation we are in. The constituents are not even on their radar. They could care less.

VIP Member
    I just want to talk about the original post for a second. It isn't Lieberman's fault that you got the letter you got. It would be totally impossible for the Senators to respond to each piece of mail they get without preparing form letters that deal with a specific subject. Clearly the majority of gun issues they were getting involved HR 297 rather than S 388. So when they got a your question about concealed carry they just sent you their gun form letter. The staff dropped the ball to some degree, but all Lieberman knows is that they were contacted by someone that supports pro-gun legislation.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Miller View Post
    My letter to Lieberman and his ilk. "Dear Senator, you are an All-American meathead!".

Just the line I needed to see before going off to bed. We put!!!
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

I got a call tonight...I wasn't here to take the call but my Represenative called my house to talk to me abt the letter I sent him the other day regarding the law here in Arkansas that prohibits conceal carry in a place of worship. He left his number and asked me to call him back so we can discuss this further..will keep y'all advised.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I got a call tonight...I wasn't here to take the call but my Represenative called my house to talk to me abt the letter I sent him the other day regarding the law here in Arkansas that prohibits conceal carry in a place of worship. He left his number and asked me to call him back so we can discuss this further..will keep y'all advised.
    Nice to hear that at least one politician will take the time to actually hear what you have to say. Let us know how it goes.

Personally I don't think Lieberman will respond, I think whatever staffer made the mistake and sent me the wrong letter will just delete my response so that he or she doesn't look stupid to his boss.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

ree
    I'm of the opinion that you're better off providing a subject line that indicates solely the bill ID and whether you support it or not, then in the body, make your arguments. And if there's a section or specific item of the bill that you do or don't like try to "encode" that in the subject line.

For instance:

Subject: Vote FOR H.R. 861

or

Subject: Vote FOR S.388

or use AGAINST if it's some bill you disagree with.

This will give the legislator's staff an easy way to tally the publics position without having to read the content. They always have a position, but if their staffers catch on that public sentiment differs from theirs, then sometimes they change that position. If you require them to wade through a huge message to figure out if you support or oppose the bill or certain provisions/amendments, then they're not going to pay attention to you, in most cases that is.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    OH and by the way... your a weenie for supporting the ASB!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links