Wow, talk about lame

This is a discussion on Wow, talk about lame within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Some of you may remember that I sent letters to my US Rep. and both Senators concerning the "National Right to Carry" bill that is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow, talk about lame

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Wow, talk about lame

Some of you may remember that I sent letters to my US Rep. and both Senators concerning the "National Right to Carry" bill that is sitting in committee.

Here is Senator Lieberman's response:

December 13, 2007

Dear Mr. Xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting me to express your concerns about the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) Improvement Act (H.R. 297), which was introduced by Representative Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY). I appreciate your views on this serious matter, and I welcome the opportunity to respond.

I have long believed that Americans have the right to own guns. With that right, however, come significant responsibilities, including those to ensure that guns are used safely and responsibly, that criminals cannot obtain weapons, and that our children are kept safe from harm. I therefore supported the Brady law, which mandates background checks to ensure that those seeking to buy guns are lawfully allowed to do so; and I have cosponsored legislation that would close the gun show loophole, which allows convicted felons, among others, to evade the Brady background checks. You will also be interested to know that I voted to reauthorize the Assault Weapons Ban, and I supported Senator Edward Kennedy's (D-MA) efforts to broaden the definition of armor piercing ammunition.

As you may know, H.R. 297 would provide grants to states to update the NICS system. States would be able to update their NICS database to include felons, domestic abusers, and other violent criminals.

H.R. 297 is currently pending consideration by the House Judiciary Committee. Please be assured that I will continue to keep in mind the views which you shared should this bill come before the Senate for consideration. To keep track of future actions on this legislation, you can go to the "Bill Tracking" service at http://lieberman.senate.gov/issues/resources.

My official Senate web site is designed to be an on-line office that provides access to constituent services, Connecticut-specific information, and an abundance of information about what I am working on in the Senate on behalf of Connecticut and the nation. I am also pleased to let you know that I have launched an email news update service through my web site. You can sign up for that service by visiting http://lieberman.senate.gov and clicking on the "Subscribe Email News Updates" button at the bottom of the home page. I hope these are informative and useful.

Thank you again for letting me know your views and concerns. Please contact me if you have any additional questions or comments about our work in Congress.

Sincerely,

Joseph I. Lieberman

UNITED STATES SENATOR
    How lame is it that he can't even respond properly to my letter. I contacted him concerning S. 388, and he replies back concerning HR 297. Pathetic, just pathetic.

Thank God this clown isn't running for President.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Here is my reply:

Dear Senator Lieberman,

Thank you for your timely response to my letter. Sadly though, I wrote to you concerning S. 388: To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide a national standard in accordance with which nonresidents of a State may carry concealed firearms in the State, NOT HR 297.

Please take the time to review my letter and respond accordingly.

Thank you,

I probably won't even get a response this time. I haven't heard anything from Courtney or Dodd.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

Good response! Let us know if you get a reply.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

What in the world is wrong with our politicians???? How can they proclaim to be so smart when they are so darn dumb??

Just Donate a Few $Mil

I don't care which side Politicians are on

THAT gets their Attention

If possible, might try moving to a free state - something close for you like NH or VT.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Regardless which state you live in, you're gonna get a response from a secretary ... like in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by imatt View Post
    Regardless which state you live in, you're gonna get a response from a secretary ... like in this case.
    I don't think the OP indicated if it was from a secretary or not, but regardless I don't think he's disgusted with who sent it as much as the letter addressed the wrong bill. Move to a different state - your representative might actually address your letter - they do in MO and just might in VT or NH.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

VIP Member
    Now you know what a "canned" response looks like!

What he really said, (reading between the lines) is: I don't give a rodents behind what YOU think!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

More than I get from Carl Levin.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Kinda figures.

This is exactly what I was talking about in my other posts.

My letter to Lieberman and his ilk. "Dear Senator, you are an All-American meathead!".

Here's a reply I got from Mel Martinez. Gun related, but different topic. It took him a long time to say nothing.......

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE). I appreciate hearing from you and would like to respond to your concerns.

On March 21, 2007, President Bush nominated Michael Sullivan to be the Director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives at the U.S. Department of Justice. Mr. Sullivan has been serving as Acting Director of BATFE since September of 2006.

On November 8, 2007, the Senate Committee on the Judiciary approved Mr. Sullivan's nomination. Currently, Mr. Sullivan's approval is being blocked from floor consideration due to concerns regarding the direction in which he is leading the agency.

BATFE is a principal law enforcement agency within the U.S. Department of Justice dedicated to reducing violent crime, preventing terrorism, and protecting our Nation through enforcing laws and federal criminal regulations regarding firearms and explosives. I can assure you that I will keep your concerns in mind as this important nomination is considered before the full Senate.

Again, thank you for sharing your concerns with me. If you have any additional questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me. In addition, for more information about issues and activities important to Florida, please sign up for my weekly newsletter at http://martinez.senate.gov.

Sincerely,

Mel Martinez
    United States Senator

believe it or not I understand that most national politicians (including and epecially the White House) scan letters to be read by a computer program and respond in the same fashion according to templates created by the individual politician.

Senator Kennedy once replied to me as "Null". I guess that is what my comments meant to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links