My First Time Having To Pull My Weapon

This is a discussion on My First Time Having To Pull My Weapon within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I've mentioned before I've carried open here in the bluegrass state for several years, never had a problem till a few days ago. I decided ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Time Having To Pull My Weapon

My First Time Having To Pull My Weapon

I've mentioned before I've carried open here in the bluegrass state for several years, never had a problem till a few days ago. I decided to carry concealed when not 1 but both parents were diagnosed with cancer. Step-dad's was liver,lung, and brain cancer he passed away this past March 9th. My mom's was pancreatic, as well as having a huge Whipple surgery. I knew dopers of all kinds would see a 5'6" tall and 130 lb guy pushing wheelchairs here and there with 2 obvious cancer patients would look like a gift horse. Well here's the situation, a week and a half ago I was wheeling my mom out of Wal-Mart here in Berea.

We just picked up here meds some of which was morphine and several other cancer related drugs. I noticed a guy standing there watching the big mouthed pharmacist practically yelling this and that even naming these pain meds so loud if could be heard easily 15 ft away. I just felt odd not nervous but wierd about this guy even now I can't put my finger on it. As usual I get "that funny feeling" about someone I try to look them right in the eye even more than usual, this guy avoided my gaze like I was medusa. That sent up another flag right away. Instead of going right to my van like normal I rolled around for about 20 minutes and I swear I saw this guy out of the corner of my eye several times trying to look like he was shopping .

I made up my mind then this guys "casing" us. I told my mom what was going on and she wanted to call the police. I thought why it's just a feeling and he hasn't done anything YET. We paid for our stuff and as we headed out I told her to have her phone ready and handed her my pepper spray. I wear a trench coat so I never button it up so I can get to my weapon faster, on the way out I pulled my shirt up so I'd get there even faster. I walked slow and steady trying to use the windows I passed to see if the guy was tailing us which didn't work at all, so I glanced around and acted like I waved at a girl in a passing car just to see if he was there and of course he was about 20 feet behind me. The whole time I'm praying "please don't let this happen".

As I get between my van and another car I turn so I can keep my eye on this idiot as I unlocked the door and let my mom in just then he rushes us full speed. He looked friggin crazy big yellowed eyes all bugged out and teeth clenched. I'll never forget that look in my whole life. He said loudly "we'll take that bag MFer and hurry or we's gonna bus you up". I thought damn there's more than one so I have to end this quick and pick the next target up or I'll be stabbed or shot and leave my mom here with a buncha junkies stealing here medication. As this guy rushed I drew and clipped him in the chin with the slide hard enough stop him, even now I'd swear I heard his teeth break. I brought the gun back to his chest and told him "this isn't worth your life leave and live". After he stopped stumbling back he was the gun and his mouth was gushing blood he just turned and ran without saying anything else.

By this time my mom was telling 911 what happened and I was looking for another moron just incase he was the dumber of the two thank god that was the end of the drama. I loaded my my in the van and waited for the police with the doors locked of course. I was told after giving the story to the LEO's I did just fine. After it was all over then I felt nervous and kinda sick in a way, when I think back my hands never shook even slightly. Even a witness who saw it said I looked like I did this kinda stuff for years. Thank goodness for drawing practice and alotta time spent thinking what would I do if this happened. I was told by the cops they'll let me know if they pick up a guy with the description I gave, they also said not to worry about any legal issues what I did was perfectly in the bounds of the law.

The second officer came up just then with a cheap tarnished bowie type knife they found just behind my van, it musta been in the guys hand behind his back when this all happened. Thank God I didn't see it or I probly woulda fired, and I honestly believe if I ever took a life for any reason my own would be forever changed and not for the better. Sorry about the long post but after 10 days it's been killing me to get this out after I was sure I'd be in the clear from any legal issues. So far far the police haven't contacted me with any news on the junkie just yet. God bless and be safe out there all of you.
    Last edited by Scott; December 14th, 2007 at 06:50 AM. Reason: added paragraphs
    "Fear is nothing more than an emotional response to the perception of danger coupled with the belief that I can't handle it."
    "If you change that belief to 'I can handle it', you'll no longer experience FEAR. You'll simply see what you are facing is a challenge... an opportunity to test yourself.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Sounds like you did a great job. Sounds like the individual knew you were watching and was going to come after you no matter what you did before the attack.

Keep your eyes open, sadly he wasn't the only person that would love to take advantage of the situation.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Moderator
    Thats what the gun is there for.
    You did good.
    Without that gun you would have been another statistic.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Wow. Glad that you stayed calm and did what you did. Good job.

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Sounds like you did just fine. Like you, if I would have seen a large knife like that is his hand while rushing at me, I would've been hard pressed not to shoot. If he is far enough away to warn, fine. If not, at least 2 to COM.
    "The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield, and government to gain ground."

- Thomas Jefferson

"I'm the arrow, you're my bow, shoot me forth and I will go"

"Do not let any individual posts put a knot in your Big Boy Under-Roos"

you did good. Just remember this... If you wasn't prepared, the worst would have happened, but you were prepared.
    Like you, If I would have spotted the thug running at me enraged and with a knife intending to rob and harm me and mine, he would have probably been met with a double tap.
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Well done. Good job being aware of everything, and kudos to your mother, too, for being pretty well collected about the whole thing. I hope the cops catch the SOB, but you are very likely correct that you are still much better off not having had to pull the trigger.

If I may ask, how far was the guy when you decided to draw? Many of us may have practiced a Tueller drill in training, but you just went through one in real life...

Anyway, very glad to hear you and your mom are both okay.

VIP Member
    Sounds brilliantly handled. I really like the part about the dental work.
    Now he has an excuse for needing that morphine, and he ain't gonna have any.

I would go have a LONG talk with the pharmacy at wally world about violating patient privacy..

thankfully you and your mother were unharmed.. but i would seriously go have a talk with the idiots in the pharmacy, or even attempt to contact corporate wally world..

hoozyerdaddy, your definitely not the only one. Heres what happened to me and mine, except yours had physical contact involved... regardless, all situations are evil....
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ad.php?t=14995
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Great job and glad your alright.

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Nice job handling the situation with the minimum force required. Also props for good situational awareness. You caught the flags in time to save your mother's and your own life.

Glad to hear you and your mother are OK. Way to stay calm. I also would have a chat w/ managment at Wally World. The fact that they were calling out the mads like that is the reason you were targeted. In the end you did EXTREMELY well in this case.

Derrin
    God Bless America!!

My only question is how did he get so close? If you suspected he had bad intentions why did you let him get so close?

I can only assume you were trying to get you mother in the car as fast as possible.

Good work popping him in the mouth I am sure he will think twice next time he chose's a target LoL.

VIP Member
    Thank you for sharing, I'm glad all went well!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links