Colorado Springs to consider gun measure

This is a discussion on Colorado Springs to consider gun measure within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Supertac45 As liberal as CS is, I'm suprised paid security guards are allowed to carry Mag Lights. You must be thinking of ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colorado Springs to consider gun measure

Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    As liberal as CS is, I'm suprised paid security guards are allowed to carry Mag Lights.
    You must be thinking of Boulder. Colorado Springs (and surrounding El Paso county) is the most conservative area in the state. Voter registration runs 3 (R)s for every 1 (D), and the (R) candidate has won the county in every presidential election since the county was founded in the late 1800s. There are more CCWs issued in this county than any other in the state, and for many years before "shall-issue" was the state law, it was the local sheriff's policy.

That said, I have no idea where this ridiculous "revolver only" rule came from. Surely it will be shot down (pun intended) very soon.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    Revolvers are just as effective as any autoloader!

Effective, yes. Reliable, accurate, concealable and it can kill as well as an autoloader. Is that what you mean by 'as effective as any autoloader?

....a revolver as effective as any autoloader? I don't think so.
    How could you believe that a revolver with 5 or 6 round capacity is as effective as my Para 16-40 Ltd with 16+1 of .40 SW or even my HK P7 with 8+1 of 9mm?
    Compare 6 to 17 rounds or with two reloads how does 18 compare to 49 rounds.
    There are some that have perfected their handling of a revolver to a fine art and can reload with lightning speed. But I would argue that this proficiency is obtained by few and I would certainly prefer having to reload a semi-auto than a revolver, especially under the stress of a gun fight.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bobcat35 View Post
    i knew of a revolver that might not be so bad. its a nine shot revolver with a 20gauge shotgun underbarrel i can't remember the name but i'll dig thru my old guns of the old west to find it again. best thing is its not considered an NFA weapon.
    Cool, you think maybe Galco makes a OWB for it?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Screw the revos, and screw the politicians, folks we need to start arming ourselves and quick! My hat is off to the brave lady security guard who had the intestinal fortitude to face down a mental defective and take care of bidness as we say down here in TX, but having a few guards around is not enough. What will tip the balance is qualified, concealed carry licensees seeded throughout society so the bad guys don't know where we are. As far as the security guards go, there is an easy way around the stupid revo limitation, just dress in plain clothes, and carry concealed as if you are a civilian.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Colorado is over-run with Kalifornicators who are trying to make their new home just like Kalifornia.

If your sights are on the target a .357 should do the job.
    Support your local gun shop.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepingZ View Post
    Is the pendulum starting to swing???
    Z
    Don't mention this...legislators may only allow guards to carry them...a swinging pendulum, that is...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Security guards in CS are currently limited to _REVOLVERS_!?!???!1?

How the heck did that come to be a law and why?
    Holy jeebus have those legislators been watching only James Cagney era TV their whole lives?!
    Geez this should be a no brainer decision. Hell empower them to deploy shotguns as well.

Heresy i know but hey it is the 22nd century now.

- George Jetson has a phaser

In florida security officers were only allowed to carry .357 or .38 revolvers with .38 ammo until the law was changed in 2005.
    The law now allows licensed security to cary 9mm and .380 caliber semi autos.

Many of the Texas Rangers still prefer the 357mag with the 125gr to a pistol. They call it the lightning strike, one hit and down. Personally I prefer my 357 to my 40 and the 40 carries close to 3 times the ammo. That is just me though. I don't quite understand Colorado's deal on why a revolver and not an pistol? some stupid politics for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Colorado is over-run with Kalifornicators who are trying to make their new home just like Kalifornia.

You are from OK and you say that!

I predicted when the shooting thread started that she would be played off as an armed security guard, not a civilian with a CC. That is the mentality of the politics and news media.

Heaven forbid (another pun?) that the people be saved by any other than an organized agency. Any average Joe/Jane with a gun must be up to no good.

I think the news article is pushing that the Auto is more deadly than the Revolver as a side by side (a backup plan for gun control).

It would not surprise me in the least if questioned about a .357 revolver and a .357 auto side by side, they would say the auto is deadlier just because of its conception - the same cartridge fired from either gun is deadlier from the auto, like it gained some special power.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by max7777 View Post
    If your sights are on the target a .357 should do the job.
    Back in the 80's, Ed Sanow and Evan Marshall did a study of actual shootings, and found that the .357 in the 125gr SJHP flavor produced a one-shot stop 96% of the time.

Now, the bad news: Unless things have changed in Colorado Springs since 1993, security guards are limited to carrying .38 spl ammo in their .38/.357 revolvers. (I worked part-time for DDSS in 92/93)

I hadn't really thought about this until this post brought it to light. This bit of news CONFIRMS that "Assam was licensed to carry a gun" refers to a CCW permit.....NOT an armed security guard license.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links