Colorado Springs to consider gun measure

This is a discussion on Colorado Springs to consider gun measure within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; http://www.gazette.com/articles/secu...ns_guards.html Springs to consider gun measure Would let guards carry semiautomatic weapons at work By PAM ZUBECK and PERRY SWANSON THE GAZETTE December 11, 2007 ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colorado Springs to consider gun measure

Colorado Springs to consider gun measure

http://www.gazette.com/articles/secu...ns_guards.html

Springs to consider gun measure

Would let guards carry semiautomatic weapons at work
    By PAM ZUBECK and PERRY SWANSON
    THE GAZETTE
    December 11, 2007 - 11:39PM

Colorado Springs City Council members will consider allowing security guards to carry semiautomatic weapons next month.

Although the change has been in the works for months, the revision is sure to draw added interest in light of Sunday’s shootings at New Life Church.

City Clerk Kathryn Young said she will submit a proposal to the council in January that would revise the city’s security licensing laws, including the types of weapons allowed.

She said the proposed measure would allow semiautomatic weapons; the current ordinance limits security guards to revolvers.

Konquest Security President Michael Briggs said the New Life shootings underscore why security guards should be more heavily armed.

“It does kind of make a point here,” Briggs said. “Here’s a guy who went into a church with enough ammo to kill half the people in it. If they continue to knock us down to carrying nothing but a sixshooter,” he said, the ability of security guards to diffuse deadly situations is diminished.

“It should be up to the (security) officer’s discretion which one they want to carry.” Briggs and other security companies have pressured the city to ease its restrictions, but the exact provisions of the proposal aren’t known.

Lonnie Hall with Knight Investigation and Security Service said the current ordinance doesn’t specify types of weapons involved, but that clerk’s officials limit guards to .38- or.357-caliber handguns with either 4- or 6-inch barrels.

“If CSPD (Colorado Springs Police Department) needs assistance, and some security officers have been utilized from time to time, with a double-action revolver, you’re limited on the rounds you’re allowed to carry,” he said, to a total of 18.

Semiautomatic firearms, he said, allow officers to carry up to 33 rounds.

In addition, Hall said, “It allows for a greater accuracy, because most semiautomatic weapons have a little bit less kick. A lot of people now coming out of the military that we employ, they’re used to the semiautomatic weapons because they have to carry them in the military.”
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

Security guards in CS are currently limited to _REVOLVERS_!?!???!1?

How the heck did that come to be a law and why?
    Holy jeebus have those legislators been watching only James Cagney era TV their whole lives?!
    Geez this should be a no brainer decision. Hell empower them to deploy shotguns as well.

Heresy i know but hey it is the 22nd century now.

- George Jetson has a phaser
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Distinguished Member
    Is the pendulum starting to swing???

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Janq,
    Remember Colorado is crawling with liberals and it took a lot for them to concede to revolvers. Makes you wonder if the shooter there knew that???
    HMMMMM
    "It does not take a majority to prevail,,,,,,but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." Samuel Adams

Revolvers? What kind of stupid law is that? Why does it seem everyone wants to limit security guards. I guess in CS they at least have revolvers, in some places security guards are rendered useless.
    "Remember the first rule of gunfighting..."have a gun""

Why only revolvers? because the dumb people that make the laws think that Revolvers are less dangerous than autoloaders. This is the very mindset that brings about the AWB. Looks only. With practice I have seen revolvers reloaded faster than the eye can see!

Revolvers are just as effective as any autoloader!
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Security guards in CS are currently limited to _REVOLVERS_!?!???!1?

How the heck did that come to be a law and why?

Evidently, they thought it was ok to be able to defend yourself using deadly force, just ...um... not a lot of it?

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    Politics in action. I wonder if there's a logical justification for the "revolvers only" rule, or if it's emotion/irrational based only...
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lacrosse50 View Post
    Politics in action. I wonder if there's a logical justification for the "revolvers only" rule, or if it's emotion/irrational based only...
    I would spend no more time wondering if the revolvers-only rule has a rational, logical justification than I would wondering the same thing about the AWB...

Why waste time wondering? You KNOW it has no justification.

This made me chuckle. I'm not sure how they get to being able to use a revolver and not an autoloader. I will never understand the logic of having security guards, but not letting them do their jobs to the best of their ability. It just makes no sense. And I agree, they should be able to employ long guns if need be too. I bet this guy would have thought twice if he knew the guards had shotguns.

On a side note, was the lady who shot the BG a security guard on duty? I thought she was just a volunteer there on her own time, carrying her own weapon?
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by wht06rado View Post
    On a side note, was the lady who shot the BG a security guard on duty? I thought she was just a volunteer there on her own time, carrying her own weapon?
    New Life church has an all-volunteer "security team" made up of church members with CCWs who use their personal weapons. Jeanne Assam is a member of that volunteer security team. Last Sunday, she attended the early service to worship and then attended the second service to act as security. She was stationed in a hallway/entranceway of the building during and after the second service.

So she was certainly a volunteer with her own weapon (a 9mm, Browning I think). But as part of the volunteer security team, she was also "on duty".

Clear as mud now??

EDIT TO CORRECT: News reports say she had a 9mm Beretta, not a Browning.
    Last edited by Desk Jockey; December 14th, 2007 at 02:25 PM.

Got it now. Of course the media made it sound like she was a professional security guard hired by the church instead of a civilian with a CHL. And of course they had to mention that she's a former LEO. An average Joe Blow couldn't have ever accomplished such a thing.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

As liberal as CS is, I'm suprised paid security guards are allowed to carry Mag Lights.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

i knew of a revolver that might not be so bad. its a nine shot revolver with a 20gauge shotgun underbarrel i can't remember the name but i'll dig thru my old guns of the old west to find it again. best thing is its not considered an NFA weapon.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

yeah - an armored car company here abouts used to limit it's guards and couriers to revolvers too...

they recently changed to S&W 9mm IIRC they hold 9 rounds per mag - limit of three mags too....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links