Assam carried Beretta 9mm

This is a discussion on Assam carried Beretta 9mm within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "Arms (police spokesperson?) said Jeanne Assam, the volunteer security guard at New Life Church who shot and wounded (the shooter), had a Beretta 9mm semiautomatic ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assam carried Beretta 9mm

Assam carried Beretta 9mm

"Arms (police spokesperson?) said Jeanne Assam, the volunteer security guard at New Life Church who shot and wounded (the shooter), had a Beretta 9mm semiautomatic handgun and fired a total of 10 rounds."

The shooter had the following:

"The weapons he had with him at New Life Church were:

1. Bushmaster XM15 assault rifle, purchased on Jan. 9, 2007, at the Sportsman's Warehouse at 14140 E. Ellsworth in Aurora
    2. AK-47 assault rifle, purchased Nov. 17, 2006, at Robert's Firearms at 18498 E. Colfax in Aurora.
    3. Beretta 40-caliber semiautomatic handgun purchased on Jan. 4, 2007, at Sportsman's Warehouse at 555 N. Chelton Road in Colorado Springs.
    4. Springfield Armory 9mm semiautomatic handgun purchased on Sept. 11, 2007, at Dave's Guns at 1842 S. Parker Road in Denver

The 22-caliber Beretta handgun in his car was bought on June 2, 2007, at the Sportsman's Warehouse in Aurora."

Further information...

"(The shooter) had an assault rifle, a .40-caliber semiautomatic handgun and a 9mm semiautomatic handgun when he entered the church. Investigators found an AK-47 assault rifle in his car and a .22-caliber Beretta handgun at his home."

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news...07/detail.html
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

AMH
    “Assault rifle”

That term irks me.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I heard this morning on the news that apparently she didn't shoot the guy. However, this proves a couple things.

1) Just because your a prior/or event recent LEO/Military/ unless you practice regualarly shooting is a perishable skill, and it will perish if not used. If your a civilian and you practice reguarly you have a leg up over a lot of people.

2) Anybody with a gun trying to distrupt a mass killer intentions using lethal/ deadly force agasint the perp, regardless of if he or she is a good shot can result in the saving of countless lives.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I heard he finished himself off.

One report, supposedly based on autopsy results, indicated she hit him 3 times. He then shot himself and that was the fatal wound.

I'm sorry I don't have that link.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

AMH
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    I heard this morning on the news that apparently she didn't shoot the guy. However, this proves a couple things.

1) Just because your a prior/or event recent LEO/Military/ unless you practice regualarly shooting is a perishable skill, and it will perish if not used. If your a civilian and you practice reguarly you have a leg up over a lot of people.

2) Anybody with a gun trying to distrupt a mass killer intentions using lethal/ deadly force agasint the perp, regardless of if he or she is a good shot can result in the saving of countless lives.
    Good points, practically #2. Just confronting the assailant can distract him/her enough to allow other people to get to safety.

I have been in situations (mostly in my youth when “wild oats” where still being sown) where other people where being harassed/bullied. I always stood up and confronted the aggressor. Sometimes it ended the situation, and other times I just got beat up. But I can sleep at night knowing I did the right thing and other innocent people didn’t get hurt.

I would do the same thing in a situation such as at this church. Even if I was unarmed I would still confront the assailant. I would be willing to get hurt/killed and distract the assailant so that other people can get to safety. This is better than running like a coward and some young mother or child getting hurt instead of me.

Just my own personal opinion.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    The official cause of death was self inflicted gunshot. However, it was Jeanne's willingness to attack that cause the ultimate suicide. Her engaging him stopped him from shooting more people. One report said she hit him 6 times.

I suspect when she opened fire on him and he took hits he knew his plan was over. His shooting himself could be considered "self execution".

Local reports said she hit him three times, hitting both legs, then he shot himself. I doubt he would have quit if he had not been hit.

All of the reports that I have read stated that she shot him three times, once in a wrist and twice in the legs.

Wow. He was obviously planning on sticking around for a while. I'm glad that she had the stuff to take the shot. All of the recent shootings have me going back to the range as much as possible.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

ree
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    One report, supposedly based on autopsy results, indicated she hit him 3 times. He then shot himself and that was the fatal wound.

I'm sorry I don't have that link.
    Here is one of many news reports (all based on an AP news item) that state 3 or 4 times in wrist and leg. Search for "Jeanne Assam autopsy" and you'll find many other duplicate reports and variations all indicating 3 or 4.

Now, most of these reports are based on the autopsy. Since the bg was wearing armor, you'd think the autopsy would only indicate actual hits. But perhaps it indicated contusions related to strikes to his body and the police PR folks or the media left these out. What I'm getting at, is perhaps she hit the body several times, but these were stopped by the armor. Then again, maybe she missed a lot.

Still a very brave thing she did.

Distinguished Member Array lacrosse50's Avatar
    While I know they rush to get the story out first, why can't the media be a little more accurate? No hits, 3 hits, 6 hits.....thats a pretty big spread.

As for what he was carrying, he certainly had the firepower to cause all kinds of trouble. I'm glad someone was there with some firepower of their own.
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
    -Herbert Spencer

NRA Life Member

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    CBS News affiliate KKTV reports that Murray was hit 3 to 4 times in his legs and his wrist. One shot may have even hit the gun he was holding, which he then used to take his life

Assam, a 42-year-old former Minneapolis police officer, said her faith allowed her to remain steady under pressure.

"It seemed like it was me, the gunman and God," she said, her hands trembling as she recounted the shooting during a news conference.

HUMMMMM not trying to make a mountain of a molehill, but most places don't teach people to aim for the legs, as a good way of stopping somebody. She is a hero and she did a great thing.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob99VMI04 View Post
    CBS News affiliate KKTV reports that Murray was hit 3 to 4 times in his legs and his wrist. One shot may have even hit the gun he was holding, which he then used to take his life.
    It wouldn't surprise me. When you shoot COM against someone with a drawn long gun, the BG's wrist and long gun are in the way of the COM shot. In FoF, shots on hands and wrists are common.

Also, I read that she was shooting while advancing, which means you don't get all 10-ring shots. Shots spread out when you're moving (not to mention when you're facing a guy with a rifle).

He was stopped because of her actions.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links