Critique this news video

This is a discussion on Critique this news video within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by elrey718 she was wear flip flops at the range ?!?!?!? let one of those hot cartridges hit her pretty lil foot and ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Critique this news video

Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    she was wear flip flops at the range?!?!?!? let one of those hot cartridges hit her pretty lil foot and she will be jumpin everywhr with gun in hand.
    I was at the range one day shooting with a friend, i was standing behind him and to the right. He was shooting my new pistol, it was flinging the brass quite far and in my direction. Being the easily distracted person that i am i start catching the brass as it goes by. I have worked in the food industry before and i have hardened hands to hot water and oven plates. The brass felt luke warm to the touch, it made me question the hot brass in the shirt warning. Has anyone here been burned by ejected handgun brass? I imagine that 308 rifle brass comes out quite a bit hotter.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Yes, been burned countless times by pistol brass. Yes, rifle brass is hotter...
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Administrator
    I've worn flip flops a lot of times on the range... stupid I know, but I used to do that all the time. And brass does hurt when it gets between your toes.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    I was at the range one day shooting with a friend, i was standing behind him and to the right. He was shooting my new pistol, it was flinging the brass quite far and in my direction. Being the easily distracted person that i am i start catching the brass as it goes by. I have worked in the food industry before and i have hardened hands to hot water and oven plates. The brass felt luke warm to the touch, it made me question the hot brass in the shirt warning. Has anyone here been burned by ejected handgun brass? I imagine that 308 rifle brass comes out quite a bit hotter.
    My metal shop teacher in High School told us that when you are welding, you are going to get hit with sparks and hot slag. Don't flinch, just suck it up and keep welding, it will only burn for a couple of seconds.

Having said that, he never mentioned that when you are welding above chin level, you are going to get hit more often and by larger chunks that burn longer. I still just suck it up, and have many a burn scar in the crook of my elbows and forearms to show for it.

Hot brass on the arms and down the front of the shirt, I can deal with. Down the back of the shirt however still gets me to jumpin' a little.

Back on topic...

I don't know what NC rules are for CC, it seems extreme, but given the fact that most of society has never even handled a gun, let alone fired one, I sure feel better about States with more stringent training requirements.

In CO, you are only required to take a "Safety Course". 4-5 hours of lecture, pass the background and there you go.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    I imagine that 308 rifle brass comes out quite a bit hotter.
    .308 brass from an M60 going down the back of your BDU shirt will have you doing dance moves you didn't even know you knew.....

As for the video clip, I thought that the near-total lack of weapon manipulation skills was downright embarassing. Not so much to the student, as to the instructor. I honestly don't know what he was thinking. Free advertising is all well and good, but I'd think that he'd have at LEAST done some last-minute coaching to make it look good.

I applaud both the student and the instructor for coming this far from a state of total ignorance, but there's MUCH more training to be done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links