Critique this news video

Critique this news video

This is a discussion on Critique this news video within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Best viewed with IE: http://www.charleston.net/videos/2007/dec/02/164/ My points: 1. The news media are now going to question the competence of permittees, like the two church guards ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Critique this news video

Best viewed with IE:

http://www.charleston.net/videos/2007/dec/02/164/

My points:

1. The news media are now going to question the competence of permittees, like the two church guards who didn't shoot.

2. At the end, why isn't the weapon in the holster while she attempts to multitask manual skills?

3. Several weeks of training?

4. He doesn't require night shooting, but he does. Huh?

5. She has to be told when she's run dry.

6. Do instructors issue the permits in SC? Seems to say that.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Even with the mistakes she seemed very confident about getting everything required. She also was determined to be as skilled with ccw as she can be.

The media guy talking still sounds a bit patronizing, but maybe thats my biased against the media.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    About the night shooting. The instructor says it is not required by the state and he doesn't do if for everyone. He did do it with this student.

I suspect the saying when she was out of ammo was just part of the trainer's protocol. It appears he loaded the magazine and gave it to her. How would she know how many he had put in it?

Quote Originally Posted by digitalexplr View Post
    How would she know how many he had put in it?
    When the slide locks to the rear after she fires the last round?

Actually, I didn't think that the whole thing was that bad. While we can nitpick, it seems like the average schlub watching it would get the impression that she's pretty well prepared to carry safely and effectively.

Very well put together. The subject was well chosen and only those of us that are well versed in firearms operation would be able to highlight negatives.

This wasn't an instructional video with a target audience of of bunch of old shooters... It is for the general public... So, in that light, it was very well done and showed no bias.

I think she did great. It's good to see a news site put a story together about a woman who carries. Maybe it will help someone realize that it can happen to anyone and that we should all be prepared.
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There was a full page and a half article on her attack, and CWP proccess, in the Post & Courrier newspaper here a little while back. The reason it took Frank weeks to get her through the process was because he took it very very slowly. The woman was a complete mental/emotional wreck after her attack. The first time or so she came to him they just discussed the idea of carrying. After that they handled a few guns, and talked about them. Then he let her shoot a .22 next, then worked up to a 9mm. At all times he wanted to make sure she felt comfortable, and was mentally/emotionally ready for carrying a gun.

She was attacked when she went to a local florist late one night. The onwer of the shop wasn't present, but the owner's husband was. For no known reason he attacked her over the counter, literally beat the stuff out of her, and tied her up in a closet for hours before she managed to escape. The guy had a few prior cases that involved beating/attacking random women - sad that he wasn't behind bars the first time.

This was a special case student to them. I'm sure if a similar event happened to someone they'd do the same for them as well.
    Last edited by Scott; December 24th, 2007 at 08:32 PM. Reason: profanity

As to the part; are you’re prepared to use your gun?

The truth is, no one truly knows until they are faced with that day. However, having a gun on your side at least give you the option, and the ability to make that choice.

Distinguished Member Array snowdoctor's Avatar
    Thanks for an excellent piece.
    I think it was well done, and refreshing to see a positive news report.
    We do not instruct in low light...but with MI requiring NRA's personal protection inside the home as part of the CCW requirement...it really isn't a bad idea.
    ----DOC-----

--people ask why I carry, and I show them this picture. I think it says it all.--

NRA Certified Instructor--many disciplines

she was wear flip flops at the range?!?!?!? let one of those hot cartridges hit her pretty lil foot and she will be jumpin everywhr with gun in hand.
    “Do you have any idea how hard it would be to live with yourself if your loved ones were attacked and killed, and you had to stand there helplessly because you were unprepared for that day?”

Ricardo

Quote Originally Posted by elrey718 View Post
    she was wear flip flops at the range?!?!?!? let one of those hot cartridges hit her pretty lil foot and she will be jumpin everywhr with gun in hand.
    exactly what i was thinking.

VIP Member
    She did pretty darn well!

It appeared to me that she was still not fully familiar and comfortable handling her weapon.

In the beginning of the video she struggled to get the safety off and lock the slide back and when she first began to shoot she again fumbled to get the safety off.

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Not bad, not bad..... Personally, I think the most dangerous person on this planet is a pretty lady with a gun. Just ask my wife, who carries a stainless .357 all the time. Just knowing that little fact of life keeps me faithful to my sweetie pie.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Yeah I was surprised byt the flip flops thing too.
    More so I was concernede by the great difficulty she had in racking the slide.
    Also why did she need tow hands to drop the mag and to swap the gun from right to left.
    As well why did the trainer treat the weapon cavalierly pushing it across the table witht he barrel pointing toward the camera man. Basic rules of firearms broken there.

Lots of problems, and the lady she came across to me to be somewhat of a doofus too.
    Not the best example of a student nor trainer IMHO, but she and he will likely be highly identifiable to a large cross section of viewers. More so than say me or some of my own trainers.

Oh, and she having to be told to fire, fire again, keep the light on him, fire some more.
    Meh....not good.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Good for her for wanting to shoot and get a permit, but is she ready to fight? NO!!!!!!!!!
    Be armed or be a victim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links