CC permit in florida

CC permit in florida

This is a discussion on CC permit in florida within the Concealed Carry Issues & Discussions forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My LA permit expires, so I've applied for a FL permit. Wow, it much much easier. Question: When renewing for FL, will I have to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

CC permit in florida

My LA permit expires, so I've applied for a FL permit. Wow, it much much easier.

Question: When renewing for FL, will I have to submit proof of training again? This was one of the reasons I will not renew in LA- I have to take a class.

I had my prints taken at the Marshal's office in Slidell. They were really cool about me getting a FL permit. They asked a lot of questions on my carry choices and why I like what I carry. It was a typical gun nut conversation. Unlike the first time I applied a few years ago.

If you live in LA near Slidell, getting the fingerprint card done at the city courthouse is a pleasant, trouble free experience.

Take care
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Good news. Even with a Florida License, I still believe that you should get your home state license.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by dsonyay View Post
    Question: When renewing for FL, will I have to submit proof of training again?
    Nope. Just a new picture. License is good for 5 years and they'll send a renewal reminder to you.....just keep your address up to date, which you can do on-line too. Gotta love it.

I had my prints done in Mandeville at MPD. It was easy. They didn't even ask what they were for.

I have the FL permit. I just haven't had a chance to take the classes to get the LA one. Where did you take the class to get your LA permit?

You may have to show proof of a class if its the first time you have applied in Fl. Go to doacs.state.fl.us for info on Florida ccw questions
    Be armed or be a victim

Somewhere I have the paperwork for a FL non-resident license. I haven't got around to sending it in. At the time, a FL non-resident license was reciprocal with more states than my resident state (Arkansas) permit. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    Somewhere I have the paperwork for a FL non-resident license. I haven't got around to sending it in. At the time, a FL non-resident license was reciprocal with more states than my resident state (Arkansas) permit. Go figure.
    The Florida web site does not state anything about being a Florida resident. Only that you are a US citizen.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

This is right off the FL state website regarding eligibility:
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/eligible.html

and I can't find anywhere on the website where a "non-resident" license is available.

Eligibility

Eligibility Requirements
    o You must be 21 years of age or older.
    o You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm.
    o Unless you are serving overseas in the United States Armed Forces, you must currently reside in the United States (US) AND be a US citizen or deemed a lawful permanent resident alien by Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). If you are serving overseas in the US Armed Forces, submit a copy of your deployment documentation with your application. If you are not a US citizen, submit documentation issued by the USCIS proving you are a permanent legal resident alien with proof you have resided in the state of residence (as shown on your application) for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date the application is submitted.

Proof of residence includes, but is not limited to:
    o Monthly utility, telephone, power, or cable bills, which show your name and address.
    o Monthly pay stubs or other documentation from your employer, which show your name and address.
    o Monthly credit card statements, which show your name and address.

Possible Reasons for Ineligibility:

o The physical inability to handle a firearm safely.
    o A felony conviction (unless civil and firearm rights have been restored by the convicting authority).
    o Having adjudication withheld or sentence suspended on a felony or misdemeanor crime of violence unless three years have elapsed since probation or other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled.
    o A conviction for a misdemeanor crime of violence in the last three years.
    o A conviction for violation of controlled substance laws or multiple arrests for such offenses.
    o A record of drug or alcohol abuse.
    o Two or more DUI convictions within the previous three years.
    o Being committed to a mental institution or adjudged incompetent or mentally defective.
    o Failing to provide proof of proficiency with a firearm.
    o Having been issued a domestic violence injunction or an injunction against repeat violence that is currently in force.
    o Renouncement of U.S. citizenship.
    o A dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
    o Being a fugitive from justice.

Detailed explanations of these various disqualifying conditions are provided in the Application for the Concealed Weapon/Firearm License.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

From looking at our state we have reciprocity with LA so why not just your resident license there and enjoy the the reciprocity here?

I found the list of states that we have reciprocity with but under that it says this:

(4) These states will honor the Florida concealed weapon license ONLY IF the licensee is a resident of the State of Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by nlax2011 View Post
    From looking at our state we have reciprocity with LA so why not just your resident license there and enjoy the the reciprocity here?

I found the list of states that we have reciprocity with but under that it says this:
    right, but the list of eligibility requirements say nothing of actually being a resident of FL.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

so, if I (as a LA resident) apply for a FL license, and am granted one, then LA should accept my FL license because they (FL) issued it to me. My reason for wanting the FL license is they do not require me to take another firearms class every few years like LA. does. A class in LA is about 125.00 + the state renewal fee of 100.00 plus notary fees. This is ridiculous. Florida has less BS attached to the renewals.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by dsonyay View Post
    This is right off the FL state website regarding eligibility:
    http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/weapons/eligible.html

and I can't find anywhere on the website where a "non-resident" license is available.

Eligibility

Eligibility Requirements
    o You must be 21 years of age or older.
    o You must be able to demonstrate competency with a firearm.
    o Unless you are serving overseas in the United States Armed Forces, you must currently reside in the United States (US) AND be a US citizen or deemed a lawful permanent resident alien by Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). If you are serving overseas in the US Armed Forces, submit a copy of your deployment documentation with your application. If you are not a US citizen, submit documentation issued by the USCIS proving you are a permanent legal resident alien with proof you have resided in the state of residence (as shown on your application) for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date the application is submitted.

Proof of residence includes, but is not limited to:
    o Monthly utility, telephone, power, or cable bills, which show your name and address.
    o Monthly pay stubs or other documentation from your employer, which show your name and address.
    o Monthly credit card statements, which show your name and address.

Possible Reasons for Ineligibility:

o The physical inability to handle a firearm safely.
    o A felony conviction (unless civil and firearm rights have been restored by the convicting authority).
    o Having adjudication withheld or sentence suspended on a felony or misdemeanor crime of violence unless three years have elapsed since probation or other conditions set by the court have been fulfilled.
    o A conviction for a misdemeanor crime of violence in the last three years.
    o A conviction for violation of controlled substance laws or multiple arrests for such offenses.
    o A record of drug or alcohol abuse.
    o Two or more DUI convictions within the previous three years.
    o Being committed to a mental institution or adjudged incompetent or mentally defective.
    o Failing to provide proof of proficiency with a firearm.
    o Having been issued a domestic violence injunction or an injunction against repeat violence that is currently in force.
    o Renouncement of U.S. citizenship.
    o A dishonorable discharge from the armed forces.
    o Being a fugitive from justice.

Detailed explanations of these various disqualifying conditions are provided in the Application for the Concealed Weapon/Firearm License.

you don't have to be a citizen, you do have to be LEGAL.

Quote Originally Posted by ibez View Post
    you don't have to be a citizen, you do have to be LEGAL.
    true. Not only do you not have to be a resident, only that you have to be a legal resident of any state. Cool.
    David
    from LA

I have 5 guns.

Lightbulb

I live in SC and today I mailed in my application for CWP in FL.
    YES you have to submit proof of training. This what it states on the mailing envelope:
    "For initial applications only, include a photocopy of the document which indicates your training or experience with a firearm."
    Any other questions pls email me. I have an extra application package for reference.
    Sounds like you already applied and this may not be relevant.

At first glance it looks like you should be fine. Hopefully someone else with more experience will jump in.

But from looking at the LA concealed site they don't differentiate between resident and non-resident permits from the states that they have reciprocity with. So it looks like they'll accept the FL non-resident permit.

What was confusing is that FL is a little different in that FL will NOT accept a non-resident permit from another state, but only a permit from your resident state.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links